Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭mf240

Sure whatever lads are happy at, more luck to the lads with bigger numbers. It's probably easier when you have scale enough to employ staff. It's getting to that can be hard work.
    The other extreme is a lad on social media that's milking about 40 and he goes on oad for Jan and Feb to make life easier. Fcuk me he's hilarious and dead serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭straight

mf240 wrote: »
    Sure whatever lads are happy at, more luck to the lads with bigger numbers. It's probably easier when you have scale enough to employ staff. It's getting to that can be hard work.
    The other extreme is a lad on social media that's milking about 40 and he goes on oad for Jan and Feb to make life easier. Fcuk me he's hilarious and dead serious.

Well most of the work is bringing them in and out, washing up, feeding, etc so not much of a difference milking 40 or 80 if u ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,062 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There were posters on other social media getting worried about dairy farmers milking all year round twice a day and burning themselves out on the job and literally their health suffering.
    Maybe that guy with the 40 oad is saner than any of us?
    #stickingupforthelittlefella :D

The thing that gets me is there's some that'll never have enough. And it's others that get taken down in their crossfire.
    We're literally going down the U.S. and Russian way of largescale farming and that seed was sown on the dairy side by many having their visits of their future in New Zealand.

There's more on social media lately too who saw milking 25 cows in Iceland as regressive and large scale in Ireland as progressive..
    I'd be having my own ideas of which system is better but I'd have an idea I'm in the minority.

There were posters on other social media getting worried about dairy farmers milking all year round twice a day and burning themselves out on the job and literally their health suffering.
    #stickingupforthelittlefella :D

The thing that gets me is there's some that'll never have enough. And it's others that get taken down in their crossfire.
    We're literally going down the U.S. and Russian way of largescale farming and that seed was sown on the dairy side by many having their visits of their future in New Zealand.

There's more on social media lately too who saw milking 25 cows in Iceland as regressive and large scale in Ireland as progressive..
    I'd be having my own ideas of which system is better but I'd have an idea I'm in the minority.

Not a big farmer here either.

Not a big farmer here either.

Thank you Comrade! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Define a big farmer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

whelan2 wrote: »
    Define a big farmer?

Someone bigger than 15 stone!!

whelan2 wrote: »
    Define a big farmer?

Over 6ft or 18 stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Over 6ft or 18 stone.

Lots of them around here meeting the second criteria

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

OAD would suit me well but I'm too lazy a bollox as is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Over 6ft or 18 stone.
    :D:D:D

6'3 and 13.5 stone
    So I'm big farmer AND fit
    Yay \○/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

wrangler wrote: »
    Well,........ have you reached your first thousand cows.
    .Btw, well done on saturday morning,didn't expect anything different.
    Nearly made me proud to be a farmer ........ and y'know the job that'd be

Thanks boss

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Mortelaro wrote: »

6'3 and 13.5 stone
    Yay \○/

Must be nothing to see once ya turn sideways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

N/cow to rise to 90kgs from 85kgs from 2021.
    https://twitter.com/Deefoley17/status/1230093745904812033?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

6'3 and 13.5 stone
    Yay \○/

I do tell my fit over 60s friends that when they're looking out the nursing home window i'll be already ten years dead with a heart attack :D

You'd wonder why they didn't just increase it to 200 when by doing so they just confirmed figures can be changed to suit agendas?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Must say btj your a great srouce of news even its not good news

6'3 and 13.5 stone
    Yay \○/

Under fed and over worked maybe.

The end of high stocking rates is getting closer every day. Just think of all the surplus slurry storage we'll all have.

straight wrote: »
    The end of high stocking rates is getting closer every day. Just think of all the surplus slurry storage we'll all have.

I don't think so. I'd say the quantity of storage needed will be increased fairly soon, something along the lines of 1 week earlier stopping spreading and 1 week later starting and more storage needed per livestock unit.

Until the N&P results from rivers stabilise and start reducing, we're prime targets for blame and solutions to the issue.

Now, if the councils upgraded their facilities that are overloaded atm and allow no new buildings until adequate treatment facilities are provided, just like we have to do, the problem wouldn't be long in reducing, I think. At least, around us anyway.

• Advertisement

You'd wonder why they didn't just increase it to 200 when by doing so they just confirmed figures can be changed to suit agendas?

They're clamping down on derogations while seeming to support them.

And, like you say there, it probably won't stay at 90kgs for too long once the precedent is established.

K.G. wrote: »
    Must say btj your a great srouce of news even its not good news

We'd get a fair bit of info early at county exec meetings about what way the discussions are going and what's coming down the tracks as regards new directions officials are looking to head down. And Twitter has a few very good accounts to follow as well.

Next up, getting prescriptions for dosing and vaccinations will be needed from next year so that will clamp down on online purchases.

And provide more boxes for someone to tick to justify their existence:(

I wouldn't hold my breath for good news in the short term, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

They're clamping down on derogations while seeming to support them.

And, like you say there, it probably won't stay at 90kgs for too long once the precedent is established.

The output of N per cow is supposed to correlate to milk output so is that the reason for the 5kg increase to shown the new average yield.? Thats why the higher yielding countries have higher n per cow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

We'd get a fair bit of info early at county exec meetings about what way the discussions are going and what's coming down the tracks as regards new directions officials are looking to head down. And Twitter has a few very good accounts to follow as well.

Next up, getting prescriptions for dosing and vaccinations will be needed from next year so that will clamp down on online purchases.

And provide more boxes for someone to tick to justify their existence:(

I wouldn't hold my breath for good news in the short term, I'm afraid.

Crap milk price
    Crap beef price
    Crap calf price
    Crap grain price
    Cuts to BPS but no cuts to BS rules
    Cuts to stocking rates
    increased slurry storage requirements
    reduced slurry spreading dates

Is there even a glimmer of hope on the horizon for anybody in farming

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

Panch18 wrote: »
    Crap milk price
    Crap beef price
    Crap calf price
    Crap grain price
    Cuts to stocking rates

At least the weather is good....!

Snowfire wrote: »
    At least the weather is good....!

Is it?

Panch18 wrote: »
    Crap milk price
    Crap beef price
    Crap calf price
    Crap grain price
    Cuts to stocking rates

Doesn't look like it. Any of ye see prime time last night. Farming is getting shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Reggie. wrote: »
    Is it?

In Australia

straight wrote: »
    Doesn't look like it. Any of ye see prime time last night. Farming is getting shut down.

Was it the programme about the calves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Reggie. wrote: »
    Was it the programme about the calves?

I didn’t see it all but saw the part of growing beef in a lab I don’t think it was about calves

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement