Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

sexed straws are only 90% sexed for female, 1 in ten will be male unless your very lucky

Well I got 66.66% Male...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

straight wrote: »
    Well I got 66.66% Male...

Do the euro millions quick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Cow that calved a month ahead of time is bulling mad, calved 3 weeks maybe. Once she doesn't end up knocking any other cow now. Fecking scrapers are after giving up the ghost as well since those morning so day is spent fcuking around scraping as well as feeding calves. don't quiet have the space for it but thinking 9 or 10 individual pens with the same milk bar teats I use for the larger groups may be a faster way of getting calved on the group feeder than going from the bottle like I'm currently doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mooooo wrote: »
    Cow that calved a month ahead of time is bulling mad, calved 3 weeks maybe. Once she doesn't end up knocking any other cow now. Fecking scrapers are after giving up the ghost as well since those morning so day is spent fcuking around scraping as well as feeding calves. don't quiet have the space for it but thinking 9 or 10 individual pens with the same milk bar teats I use for the larger groups may be a faster way of getting calved on the group feeder than going from the bottle like I'm currently doing.

Hose burst in my scrapers again today, same section of hose for the third time in 2 weeks. And these are the new scrapers just in over a year. Are they just buying cheap Chinese hose to use now?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Hose burst in my scrapers again today, same section of hose for the third time in 2 weeks. And these are the new scrapers just in over a year. Are they just buying cheap Chinese hose to use now?:mad:

Gates hoses are the best. Get yourself a few hydraulic joiners. Their fierce handy and reusable. Failing that give that big strong young fella a ring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Was the hose rubbing on anything? It tends to move slightly with each stroke. I used to have a hose that would burst once a winter in roughly the same spot that I couldn't see why. In the end I got a length of 1"1/4 water pipe and ran the hose through it and it hasn't burst since

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    Gates hoses are the best. Get yourself a few hydraulic joiners. Their fierce handy and reusable. Failing that give that big strong young fella a ring.

Can u join them yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Makes such a difference having scrapers that actually work properly. Had a problem with the valve on my new ones it was replaced free of charge. Hope I don't jinx myself now. It takes 25 minutes for each scraper to get to bottom of new shed. Then has to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 huntinghill

Talking of scrapers, ours has been a bit of a curse this winter. Chain has broken several times in the last month or two. Father is hell bent on the chain lasting till the cows go out. What are lads thoughts on the most reliable, easily maintained, best value scraper systems. Hoping to build new shed in the next couple of years and have new scraper system installed then. Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

A friend has a nice sytem.he has sheep pens which he sets up in the group pen and uses them to box off sections into which he puts the young calves for training to drink.as they get stronger to suck he moves sheep pens on to next group pen so you never actually move the calves.you dont have a situation where every calf is going through the same pens as well

• Advertisement

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    I think I'll be better off replacing a section today rather than repairing the yoke again.
    Was the hose rubbing on anything? It tends to move slightly with each stroke. I used to have a hose that would burst once a winter in roughly the same spot that I couldn't see why. In the end I got a length of 1"1/4 water pipe and ran the hose through it and it hasn't burst since

I just checked there now and no sign of any wearing, just burst through the rubber. It was in a 3" pipe but the last lad to come out gave out to me for having it in such a small pipe so he took off the pipe. It was his lot that put the hose in the fecking pipe when installing it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Can u join them yourself

Yeah. I’m a pro at this stage. The bit that goes on the pipe is reverse thread. I always have a few on hand of varying sizes in case you have a burst on machinery and need to get up and running quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

If your farm is locked up can you still send stock to a contract rearer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

whelan2 wrote: »
    If your farm is locked up can you still send stock to a contract rearer?

I wouldn't think so, unless the rearer has no other stock coming in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Grueller

I wouldn't think so, unless the rearer has no other stock coming in

And no stock of his/her own

• Registered Users Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭alps

Cant believe that stock from a locked up farm could be sent out to another herd. Risk of spreading to a new areas and very unfair on neighbours..

It's possible to move heifers close to calving, home in the event of one of the farms being locked up...but that is under a special licence for animal welfare reasons and if there are no milking facilities on the readers farm.

If no other stock on the farm is it any different than stock going to an outfarm seeing as there would be a contract in place for the stock to return?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭visatorro

Anyone know if you can get head locking barriers on a gate Instead of set in concrete wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭alps

If no other stock on the farm is it any different than stock going to an outfarm seeing as there would be a contract in place for the stock to return?

I would think so..but tbh I dont know the answer to it..

However put yourself being in the position where your next door neighbour takes in stock from a locked up herd. How happy would you be?

I cant see the dept agreeing to the risk of spreading tb to new areas. I know that they were trying to push people with out farms to put them in a different herd number for this reason..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

alps wrote: »

However put yourself being in the position where your next door neighbour takes in stock from a locked up herd. How happy would you be?

I cant see the dept agreeing to the risk of spreading tb to new areas. I know that they were trying to push people with out farms to put them in a different herd number for this reason..

It wouldn't be any different than having the farm rented, department couldn't stop them going in that scenario

• Advertisement

This from the dafm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Lad farming beside our outfarm got fully depopulated for a second time before xmas after restocking with bought in weanlings in the summer of 19, still haven't been notified by department and only I heard it of a neighbour would be none the wiser, they are typically public sector and couldn't give a fiddlers

Just came across this and said I'd better post it here. If you're in derogation this year, you'll need to be measuring grass this year on an approved platform and you'll have to have the first one done this month.
    https://twitter.com/IrelandsFarmers/status/1228036879045529600?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

Another lovely day to be a cow on topless cubicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,117 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Snowfire wrote: »

I’m fair happy mine were roofed for last week be some heap of water collected without

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Have them here. Do the job. Will be roofed at some stage more so for the water thats being collected. I'd actually build a nice sized tank for what it would cost to roof that area

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

Have them here. Do the job. Will be roofed at some stage more so for the water thats being collected. I'd actually build a nice sized tank for what it would cost to roof that area

It was more the cows welfare I was talking about than the inconvenience of collecting rain water.
    I’ve said it before 90% of the time cows are contented on them, but this weekend is part of the other 10% where they aren’t.

Making the most of it directing water to try clear a blocked channel. Fecking baled silage. With the amount of rain here in the last week could be looking at a while before they are out again. Next week not great either. Heavy ground had surface water before today and normal ground was soft anyway. Only about 3.5% grazed
    Calving going ok tho halfway there and if I get 5 more heifer calves I'd be sorted on that front. Had a bit if a mastitis breakdown due to scraper stopping and a few heifers decided to make a hole in the backing gate one evening

• Registered Users Posts: 11,117 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

It was more the cows welfare I was talking about than the inconvenience of collecting rain water.
    I’ve said it before 90% of the time cows are contented on them, but this weekend is part of the other 10% where they aren’t.

Absoutely nothing only a stop gap ridiculous amount of water to be collected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Not a bother on them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement