Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Quick question, what kind of compo do ye get for dairy cows that have to be culled due to TB?
    High level genetics get the same as ordinary commercial cows?

There's a scale, pedigree, ebi, yield, still in litres i think, taken into account along with the opinion of the valuer. Older cow's obviously drop in value, mid year they don't seem to add extra for whether or not they are in calf or not. Its generally market value, you can appeal but the department can also appeal the valuer. They pay out the agreed value then minus the factory value. Nothing given for loss in milk sales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Quick question, what kind of compo do ye get for dairy cows that have to be culled due to TB?
    High level genetics get the same as ordinary commercial cows?

It's based on recorded yields from the last lactation and sales of similar cows in the previous few months averaged out.

Non recorded is based on average herd yields and sales of similar cows. There's a small top up for pedigree registered as well but I wouldn't be too sure of that side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Thanks, I don't like leaving a calf hungry for the night.

During the day, I would give a try around lunchtime again but I would like some milk inside them during the night. I was wondering how long people would leave them if they wouldn't drink because there's always one PITA who takes up most of the feeding time:rolleyes:

A square of of chocolate in its mouth or some honey.
    The chocolate sticks to the roof if the mouth and encourages them to suck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

What do you folk do when a calf won't drink?

I tubed him at 6 this morning, 3.5l through the stomach tube. I was trying to feed him this evening and he has no appetite so I tubed him with 2l.

Had another one born just before him and drank no bother this evening?

My vet is against tubing after first turn , I think it can damage the lining from doing it too much is my understanding !

I never go a second time with tube , one good feed ASAP after that I don’t fret when they drink as I’d say the biestings can make them sick fr day at times

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

A square of of chocolate in its mouth or some honey.
    The chocolate sticks to the roof if the mouth and encourages them to suck

A square of chocolate in my own mouth he might have better chance of the calf getting my time to suck - lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭older by the day

My vet is against tubing after first turn , I think it can damage the lining from doing it too much is my understanding !

I never go a second time with tube , one good feed ASAP after that I don’t fret when they drink as I’d say the biestings can make them sick fr day at times

A few calves here got rotavirus last April. I managed to cure them by tubing 4 times a day for 4 or 5 days. They seem to all be grand. No after effects. I was Clint Clint Eastwood in a western with my gun (tube)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Mooooo wrote: »
    Generally give 3 feeds via tube to calves that don't drink and then skip a feed and they generally would drink themselves next time round. I try and teat feed every new born calf instead of tubing if I can as find it's easier to feed them subsequently but it can be time consuming depending on how many land in a day.

short term pain for longer term gain ,
    most will take their second feed from the feeder as a bunch then so that saves massive time.load it up, put em on, walk away and check later. most busting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Mooooo wrote: »
    There's a scale, pedigree, ebi, yield, still in litres i think, taken into account along with the opinion of the valuer. Older cow's obviously drop in value, mid year they don't seem to add extra for whether or not they are in calf or not. Its generally market value, you can appeal but the department can also appeal the valuer. They pay out the agreed value then minus the factory value. Nothing given for loss in milk sales

Who funds the purse?
    Is it a farmer funded scheme or do the Gov fund it?

I’d a few cows bought from a farmer a few hours south of me, and they failed on the TB test. Dept. officials promptly arrived on his farm shortly afterwards and tested the herd. 28 cows were culled and there’s no compo whatsoever.
    I went shopping for herd insurance and the best quote I could get was €164 + vat per head. This covers not only TB, it covers all health risks, but at that money I’d self insure.
    TB is back strongly in places that were thought to be free...and it wouldn’t be long before it gets very costly indeed.

There’s an EGM if the Coop members next week on the matter and I’d like to be able to present the Irish system. So any/all information would be appreciated.

* There’s a farmer funded scheme that returns a pittance. For the 28 cows culled he’ll get €660 in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Who funds the purse?

I’d a few cows bought from a farmer a few hours south of me, and they failed on the TB test. Dept. officials promptly arrived on his farm shortly afterwards and tested the herd. 28 cows were culled and there’s no compo whatsoever.
    I went shopping for herd insurance and the best quote I could get was €164 + vat per head. This covers not only TB, it covers all health risks, but at that money I’d self insure.
    TB is back strongly in places that were thought to be free...and it wouldn’t be long before it gets very costly indeed.

There’s an EGM if the Coop members next week on the matter and I’d like to be able to present the Irish system. So any/all information would be appreciated.

* There’s a farmer funded scheme that returns a pittance. For the 28 cows culled he’ll get €660 in total.

Vet coming today to read my cows. They all look OK. TB is breaking out locally where there was no problem previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Who funds the purse?

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/diseasecontrol/bovinetb/

Department funded but there are various levies also collected. Farmer pays for annual test. If you go down department pays for tests aside from one a year. With the milk price ye get and it being a risk to the coop 're supply also x cent per litre from the farmer matched by something on the coop may be a suggestion maybe. Depends on the risk

• Advertisement

Who funds the purse?

The link below is the overview of the scheme and there's a link to the compensation valuation process towards the end of it.

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/diseasecontrol/bovinetb/diseaseeradicationtb/tberadicationschemes/

On compensation, TB is a considered a public health issue here so there's an onus on the public to fund at least part of the scheme. Although in the recent past, farmer levies charged for the scheme are far in excess of the compensation paid to farmers for the loss of the animals.

And you'll notice the name of the scheme is now the TB eradication scheme with a target to eliminate it by 2030. The Dept of Ag, always good for a laugh:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,634 ✭✭✭straight

Got a Fr bull last night off a sexed straw. That's my first one ever, I had to double check this morning to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The link below is the overview of the scheme and there's a link to the compensation valuation process towards the end of it.

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/diseasecontrol/bovinetb/diseaseeradicationtb/tberadicationschemes/

On compensation, TB is a considered a public health issue here so there's an onus on the public to fund at least part of the scheme. Although in the recent past, farmer levies charged for the scheme are far in excess of the compensation paid to farmers for the loss of the animals.

And you'll notice the name of the scheme is now the TB eradication scheme with a target to eliminate it by 2030. The Dept of Ag, always good for a laugh:D
    In 2017 the TB eradication scheme cost €84 million. The Exchequer contributed €42m, EU co-funding €10m and farmers through levies/testing fees €32m.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭alps

straight wrote: »
    Got a Fr bull last night off a sexed straw. That's my first one ever, I had to double check this morning to be sure.

It was only presenting as male.....

Base price wrote: »
    In 2017 the TB eradication scheme cost €84 million. The Exchequer contributed €42m, EU co-funding €10m and farmers through levies/testing fees €32m.

The EU funding has been cut due to an increase in reactors as well so their share goes down. And farmers received much less than their inputs into the scheme in reactor compensation, I should have taken a screenshot of the figures given to us a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭cosatron

The EU funding has been cut due to an increase in reactors as well so their share goes down. And farmers received much less than their inputs into the scheme in reactor compensation, I should have taken a screenshot of the figures given to us a few months ago.

never mind the tb stuff buford, did the calf suck yet.

cosatron wrote: »

Never drank this morning, no interest after the dinner so will try again before milking.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Never drank this morning, no interest after the dinner so will try again before milking.:(

I suppose you know that there's an injection you can get for them that will initiate sucking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭cosatron

wrangler wrote: »
    I suppose you know that there's an injection you can get for them that will initiate sucking

We had a calf 2 weeks ago that was the same way would not suck the cow, bottle anything, so we got him tubed on the first night, no go on the second night, gave him the injection on the third day and he sucked 1 liter that night and we thought we were good to go, sucked a bit in the morning and then back to square one on the forth night, kept at him for a week and he died. We came to the conclusion that he wasn’t right inside possible no bowl as he was never baling for milk or showed signs of a appetite

Has anyone ever tried this, it's used with foals a bit

https://www.thatsfarming.com/news/madigan-squeeze-technique

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭Base price

wrangler wrote: »
    Has anyone ever tried this, it's used with foals a bit

https://www.thatsfarming.com/news/madigan-squeeze-technique
    I never heard of it but it's interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Head vet out here was telling me about it, haven’t tried it here yet but he seemed to rate it.

cosatron wrote: »

:D
    XDcYMQ3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭Grueller

Paint parlour and dairy walls with rubberised paint or leave raw concrete?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Grueller wrote: »
    Paint parlour and dairy walls with rubberised paint or leave raw concrete?

Paint. Very hard to do after

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

What do you folk do when a calf won't drink?

I tubed him at 6 this morning, 3.5l through the stomach tube. I was trying to feed him this evening and he has no appetite so I tubed him with 2l.

Had another one born just before him and drank no bother this evening?
    There was an article on agriland or that's farming about a rope hitch technique used on foals to simulate the birthing process and kick start the hormones.
    Other than that I wouldn't tube again for 24hrs and try him with warm milk and a nipple. They nearly always come around.

Base price wrote: »
    I never heard of it but it's interesting.

I saw where someone referred to it as rebooting, I thought it was a good description

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

There was an article on agriland or that's farming about a rope hitch technique used on foals to simulate the birthing process and kick start the hormones.
    Other than that I wouldn't tube again for 24hrs and try him with warm milk and a nipple. They nearly always come around.

Sorry, I was posting from a page back, a bit behind the curve.

Good news anyway, always a relief when they suck like that, the devils.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,634 ✭✭✭straight

I see Icbf have changed the EBI calving and maintenance indexes. The maintenance index is changed to favour the holstein cull cow vs Jersey cross. It's hard to take Ebi seriously when they keep changing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭jaymla627

straight wrote: »
    I see Icbf have changed the EBI calving and maintenance indexes. The maintenance index is changed to favour the holstein cull cow vs Jersey cross. It's hard to take Ebi seriously when they keep changing it.

Their inaction over a proper beef value been properly accounted for on ebi with a value of what a cow will give calf wise says it all for me, they knew well that a good chunk of Irish high ebi Bulls would tank due to poor carcase confirmation and small frames, so they have quietly decided to shy away from it and hopes the bull calf issue solves itself

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement