Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Base price wrote: »
    From memory after reading an article last year when cattle died due to botulism poisoning, tillage farmers can take in poultry waste but it has to be ploughed in immediately and cannot be spread on ground adjacent to livestock.

That happened down here in wexford.
    A tillage farmer took in poultry waste from the north and crows brought some waste to a farm next door to the water troughs.

They say they didn't spread any but it's their business and an opposition group was set up.
    https://www.highlandradio.com/2019/07/12/glenmore-estates-issue-statement-following-public-meeting/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Check your glanbia trading accounts online, agreed contra was taken before xmas for dec milk, check account today and they have made another contra deduction yesterday of dec milk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭straight

It'd be nothing to them though. They're involved in the poultry litter business and digestate and gas production and so on.
    Was there people complaining of the farm being a dumping ground for the stuff coming from across the border and especially with water quality in the estuary?

Like the man that won the lotto, they could keep farming until it's all gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

I think there's already a plant of some sort on it?

From reports the locals had a committee set up against odours from animal manures used on farm and after the new owners moved in there was opposition to ditch clearances and tree felling.

It looks to me with all that's being going on since the farm changed ownership that the new owners were never serious about having it run as a dairy farm but just wanted to make the farm as machinery friendly as possible and just have the land bank for their business and to grow the maize or rye and take the digestate.

You'd have to wonder if the farm took in poultry waste then about botulism.
    Normal straight feedstock ad doesn't really smell, no worse than dung from cattle certainly. You need rye and maize for max gas but other feedstock (grass/woodchip/beet etc) also to balance it out. Probably as much a case of the locals upset in the changes to how it's run.
    Replace energy crop with subsidy farming :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Check your glanbia trading accounts online, agreed contra was taken before xmas for dec milk, check account today and they have made another contra deduction yesterday of dec milk

You shouldn't allow contra. Get your full cheque and pay an agreed amount each month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What's the story with the glanbia calender this year? Is it collection only in glanbia store? No branch in louth. Handy to have it in the dairy for writing heats etc on

You shouldn't allow contra. Get your full cheque and pay an agreed amount each month

I've heard with the end of the calender year looming there was a push to sort out accounts, it is possible the farmer didn't allow it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Normal straight feedstock ad doesn't really smell, no worse than dung from cattle certainly. You need rye and maize for max gas but other feedstock (grass/woodchip/beet etc) also to balance it out. Probably as much a case of the locals upset in the changes to how it's run.
    Replace energy crop with subsidy farming :pac:.

They are very familiar with the phrase "cash for ash" in that part of the world - in any case it appears the new owners of the estate have rubbed everyone up the wrong way and certainly the environmental credentials of the place have taken a beating over in last year or two - what will happen next is anyone's guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaymla627

straight wrote: »
    Like the man that won the lotto, they could keep farming until it's all gone.

It's not the one man that owns it,he's a front for private investment funds, mothballing a 5 million plus euro investment after a year is bat s**t crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭ted_182

The thing with spray paint is that it can't be immediately removed when she's going back into the tank. Can get a bit confusing if you've alot sprayed especially in the spring.

I use ordinary electric tape around each leg. I've yet to have one fall off. Tried the tail tape last year and it didn't seem as strong and a few of them split and fell off. You could always use 2 bracelets if that's what you're used to.

We spray over it with green spray, in other words green for go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

ted_182 wrote: »
    We spray over it with green spray, in other words green for go

There’s a fella called ted1 on the vegan thread

For a second I thought we had been infiltrated!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Some Quite generous litres given out in the new glanbia winter milk scheme offered to FMP members,must have been a low take up?
    The quantities actually make it look much more profitable such that a decision versus spring in a good set up now would be marginal or better I think

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Some Quite generous litres given out in the new glanbia winter milk scheme offered to FMP members,must have been a low take up?
    The quantities actually make it look much more profitable such that a decision versus spring in a good set up now would be marginal or better I think

What is the pricing around the winter milk like?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Duno how long they will be out for but I'll take grazing whenever I can! No shortage of silage yet but animals are absolutely flying through it. Pgc of 1600 which is good for only closed up mid Oct, however afc only 950, the stuff that was grazed mid nov didn't grow much.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Duno how long they will be out for but I'll take grazing whenever I can! No shortage of silage yet but animals are absolutely flying through it. Pgc of 1600 which is good for only closed up mid Oct, however afc only 950, the stuff that was grazed mid nov didn't grow much.

Ground saturated down here, talks of a dry spell after this week hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Ground saturated down here, talks of a dry spell after this week hopefully

Same as that. Ya wouldn't walk it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭alps

Timmaay wrote: »

How did you measure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The Glanbia Calf Care event tomorrow is cancelled.
    https://twitter.com/GIMILKQUALITY/status/1216437786632388609?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The Glanbia Calf Care event tomorrow is cancelled.
    https://twitter.com/GIMILKQUALITY/status/1216437786632388609?s=19

Was anyone at the Calf care event at Alan Reids in Westmeath, he has some of my land rented and always has lovely well bred healthy calves on the land,
    I meant to go to it myself, but succumbed to the flu

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

wrangler wrote: »
    Was anyone at the Calf care event at Alan Reids in Westmeath, he has some of my land rented and always has lovely well bred healthy calves on the land,
    I meant to go to it myself, but succumbed to the flu

Forgot to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

alps wrote: »
    How did you measure?

Pure eyeballing, so them figures could be +/-200

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Just in case there are more dunce s like myself,order your tags.had clean forgot it only for being inside sorting a few things with the storm this morning

Nothing like a storm for first calf to land, all of 30 days early. Little heifer calf hopefully she'll do. Mother has a little springing

Changed the liners and pulse tubes this morning. 90 minutes from start to finish. 3 of us at it

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

K.G. wrote: »
    Just in case there are more dunce s like myself,order your tags.had clean forgot it only for being inside sorting a few things with the storm this morning

Ordered mine early in new year. Had them in a week. Cormac.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭alps

Just back from an AHI calf rearing event. Really well structured and presented put together by Grainne O Dwyer.

Was really surprised with the number of beef farmers present, and the event really structured towards getting a calf ready to pass onto the beef lads. Good to see both sectors in the same yard.

What did occur to me was, would we get more bang for our buck if the calf Grant's were aimed solely at the beef lads and would have covered more of the expenditure for them. They would be in a better position to receive calves earlier and would spend more residential time on the beef farm.

Currently it's an investment for a tiny amount of time on a dairy farm, and if calves were to move quickly, most dairy units are already set up to cater for that.

Politicians also there on their first outing of the canvass. Mixed views on the boldness of the visit, but you know, the more they are aware and the more they understand about what we do, the better.

Mightnt be a bad thing to have a politician along to a DG meeting now and again..

The OAD presentations from the conference today is included in the Tweet below.
    https://twitter.com/teagasc/status/1217574061250924550?s=19

The OAD presentations from the conference today is included in the Tweet below.
    https://twitter.com/teagasc/status/1217574061250924550?s=19

Anyone on here go?

Panch18 wrote: »
    Anyone on here go?

Yeah, I went up for a friend who couldn't make it.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I went up for a friend who couldn't make it.

Did it give you something to think about? would you be tempted?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement