Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Panch18 wrote: »
    That farm is the basis of many of her articles, it provides the basis of her journalist income. In her article yesterday she was having a go at the beef protest, saying it was ruining the farming image. The very same day, the farm that she writes about, comes out on national television saying they are slaughtering calves at a young age. They chose to go on national tv to do that, the very same way she choose to publicly rebuke the tractor protest.

Now that is nothing short of utter hypocrisy in my mind. If she doesn't agree with tractor protest, thats fine, if they choose to slaughter calves, that again is their choice. But don't be complaining about damaging Irish agri when your very own flesh and blood goes on national TV to do far far more damage than the tractor protest

it stinks in my mind

I actually thought he was independent, had his own herd.
    Who has let the cat out of the bag is immaterial, it's common knowledge now.
    Even before now you couldn't hush it up. I wonder is Prime Time still going to broadcast..........civil service should've been on the ball when that started happening, cows milking and no calves.....a miracle akin to the virgin birth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

wrangler wrote: »
    I actually thought he was independent, had his own herd.
    Who has let the cat out of the bag is immaterial, it's common knowledge now.
    Even before now you couldn't hush it up. I wonder is Prime Time still going to broadcast..........civil service should've been on the ball when that started happening, cows milking and no calves.....a miracle akin to the virgin birth

It's not about cat out of the bag.

It's about feeding into the mass hysteria that the vegan cult is creating. When there is absolutely no need whatsoever to do so

Why did Ear to the Ground feel compelled to do the piece in the first place?
    Why did O'Leary feel compelled to go on tv to inform the nation of what he is doing with his calves?

For what? what did either of those parties think they were going to achieve by their actions?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What are the viewing figures for ettg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

straight wrote: »
    Thinking of going down the gas route here too. Approx 2500 for installation I was told. Is that with a full tank of gas. Gas retails at approx 65 cent per litre I was told.
    Is that 2.5k with or without VAT?

I was quoted about 3k for installation by Calor, gas not included. Nearly a month now since I was talking to them about it and still haven't arrived for a look. I was saying it to a neighbour who has one in and was directed to a guy that installs them so I'm going to wait to see what he can do for me and the cost before I decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭straight

I was quoted about 3k for installation by Calor, gas not included. Nearly a month now since I was talking to them about it and still haven't arrived for a look. I was saying it to a neighbour who has one in and was directed to a guy that installs them so I'm going to wait to see what he can do for me and the cost before I decide.

Fella from calor at a trade show told me about 2500. I presume plus vat. That 2500 could be 3000 if it was written down. I heard you would need 2 boilers to get to 80 deg. It was my neighbour told me about the free gas.

• Advertisement

straight wrote: »
    Fella from calor at a trade show told me about 2500. I presume plus vat. That 2500 could be 3000 if it was written down. I heard you would need 2 boilers to get to 80 deg. It was my neighbour told me about the free gas.

I think the free gas was there to drive interest initially but I can't say for sure if it's there still or not until somebody gets back to me on it. I'll post a bit more once I get some details back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I hear that RTE prime time have a program for January on calves with 60 hours footage and they are saying that if if you thought the program on greyhounds was bad this will come across 100 times worse. Nice timing as well, start of the calving season and no doubt every farmer will be tarred with the same brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭dmakc

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    I hear that RTE prime time have a program for January on calves with 60 hours footage and they are saying that if if you thought the program on greyhounds was bad this will come across 100 times worse. Nice timing as well, start of the calving season and no doubt every farmer will be tarred with the same brush.

Also veganuary ffs

dmakc wrote: »
    Also veganuary ffs

The month before Februdairy:pac:

orm0nd wrote: »
    Fukdy Fukdy Fukdy FUUK

single tb reactor,

Balls:(

Start of May before you'll be clear?

How are you sorted for keeping all the calves?

• Advertisement

Panch18 wrote: »
    That farm is the basis of many of her articles, it provides the basis of her journalist income. In her article yesterday she was having a go at the beef protest, saying it was ruining the farming image. The very same day, the farm that she writes about, comes out on national television saying they are slaughtering calves at a young age. They chose to go on national tv to do that, the very same way she choose to publicly rebuke the tractor protest.

Now that is nothing short of utter hypocrisy in my mind. If she doesn't agree with tractor protest, thats fine, if they choose to slaughter calves, that again is their choice. But don't be complaining about damaging Irish agri when your very own flesh and blood goes on national TV to do far far more damage than the tractor protest

it stinks in my mind

She doesn't agree with the protests because they're up to their neck with the IFA too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭Grueller

I was quoted €2500 + vat
    3 week lead time
    You never own the tank its rented from and maintained by calor for €80 per year
    €600 worth of gas included in the deal.

Grueller wrote: »
    I was quoted €2500 + vat
    3 week lead time

They can't sell you the tank because they are responsible for the maintenance. Understandable.

Grueller wrote: »
    I was quoted €2500 + vat
    3 week lead time

It must be a certain distance away from buildings as well, iirc. That makes it a small bit more awkward where I want to put it.

It must be a certain distance away from buildings as well, iirc. That makes it a small bit more awkward where I want to put it.

Some put it underground don't they.

wrangler wrote: »
    Some put it underground don't they.

Never heard of it round here, anyway, wrangler.

Never heard of it round here, anyway, wrangler.

There on this website

https://www.flogas.ie/residential/lpg/bottled-gas-and-bulk-gas.html

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ozil10

Put in flogas tank a month ago
    It had to be over 3m away from the building

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Went with oil here, 2 tanks is what we used for the year, it's another option for you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Anyone consider a solar system, wouldn't be much topping up do for most of the year. There are supposed to be some quire simple and efficient units out there. I remember seeing one at a show with a cylindrical tank onto the panels, the lads were from North Cork, a few years back but I never followed it up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭alps

The figures I was given were 35 euro a week to heat 300 liters a day on night rate and 8 euro a week on gas to heat the same.

Where does the €35 come from?

Night rate electricity should less than 8c/unit. The 300l heaters are 3kw so will burn a maximum of 24c/hr.

It will heat the 300l to 80' in far less than the 8 hours of night rate, but in any case if you leave it switched on from midnight to 8 am it can only cost a maximum of €1.92/night or €13.44/ week..

If you use all the water in the morning and need to reheat during the day, then that will give a very different calculation.

Is €35 the declared electricity cost given by the gas co, as I know the savings declared by geyser are massively inflated?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭orm0nd

whelan2 wrote: »
    Where you clear before this

yeah, clear for years

Went with oil here, 2 tanks is what we used for the year, it's another option for you anyway.

The gas salesman (I know) told me the oil were burning out. They are untested though. Some people just use an old oil boiler. Run it for half an hour a day.

ozil10 wrote: »
    Put in flogas tank a month ago
    It had to be over 3m away from the building

That's a problem for me. Have sheds all around the parlour. Had intended putting it behind the feed bin.

alps wrote: »
    Where does the €35 come from?

Night rate electricity should less than 8c/unit. The 300l heaters are 3kw so will burn a maximum of 24c/hr.

It will heat the 300l to 80' in far less than the 8 hours of night rate, but in any case if you leave it switched on from midnight to 8 am it can only cost a maximum of €1.92/night or €13.44/ week..

If you use all the water in the morning and need to reheat during the day, then that will give a very different calculation.

Is €35 the declared electricity cost given by the gas co, as I know the savings declared by geyser are massively inflated?
    I called the Delaval dealer for a quote on any tanks they had or second hand ones to get me over the hump and they don't really have much to do with heaters much anymore.

Those were the figures he gave me. I would be doing a double hot wash some days, acid followed by caustic in the late afternoon when the water reheats so maybe that's where he was getting the figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,272 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The calf problem, which was denied, should never have been left fester. Those giving out about the media miss the point. If there was nothing to report there would be no story, that simple.
    Those involved, own it. Others will suffer though.

But don't worry just watch the provision of sexed semen being hailed as the answer. But who'll be paying for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Water John wrote: »
    The calf problem, which was denied, should never have been left fester. Those giving out about the media miss the point. If there was nothing to report there would be no story, that simple.
    Those involved, own it. Others will suffer though.

But don't worry just watch the provision of sexed semen being hailed as the answer. But who'll be paying for that?
    What's your solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,272 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Like the old fella giving directions. If I was laying out the best path, I wouldn't be starting from here.
    But we have to look at what we've got. Certainly sexed semen, thus a facility in this country, is one good tool.
    If we are saying, we're not euthenasing, then we have to rear the calves. To have them profitable they need significant beef or dual purpose input, despite the nonsense being talked by some 'experts',
    We need 20/25% replacement so just over one million going to beef from the dairy herd.
    Breaking it down further, how many are presenting a real problem and what present s a problem? Kiwi x definitely and some Fr Holsteins.
    The Fr Holstein just often need time to grow. If they are not penalised under 36 months they should be ok.
    So over the next few years, weed out the Kiwi X completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭visatorro

I called the Delaval dealer for a quote on any tanks they had or second hand ones to get me over the hump and they don't really have much to do with heaters much anymore.

Those were the figures he gave me. I would be doing a double hot wash some days, acid followed by caustic in the late afternoon when the water reheats so maybe that's where he was getting the figures?

Did you ring dairy master? they owe you a favour surely!

• Advertisement

visatorro wrote: »
    Did you ring dairy master? they owe you a favour surely!

They owe me a lot of them!!!!

Not a chance that I'll be contacting them again to buy anything. It will pain me to call them for a repair on the scrapers:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement