Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Really......zero difference??
    I think you're overestimating the popularity of this thread just a tad

I've had information put up here relayed back to me by dept inspectors and advisors and whatever about the neighbours.
    If you don't think you're being watched. Think again.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,360 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I've had information put up here relayed back to me by dept inspectors and advisors and whatever about the neighbours.
    If you don't think you're being watched. Think again.

You are being watched but not by the masses you think. Imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

A headline in the Journal yesterday:

“PROTECTING OUR REPUTATION”

Author: Katherine O’Leary

I mean what ****ing planet are people living on. Are they so self obsessed that they don’t see the irony and complete and utter hypocrisy in their actions?

whelan2 wrote: »
    You are being watched but not by the masses you think. Imo

It's foolish to think otherwise though.
    Even family members with access to a smartphone are looking on to see what ye're saying.

I had a bord bia inspector on the round before this one comment to me didn't you do this very specific thing to me on the inspection. I hadn't it in the book. This was the only place I posted it. He had the specifics and quantity off by heart.
    I also had the same from family members and even the milk lorry driver comment that something looked different than how it looked on here.

There's no hiding place on here. Not like Twitter or fb. I can't be the only one that's noticed that.
    There's more on social media on their phones now than watch terrestrial tv.
    Ye're the product that keeps boards.ie in the money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Even family members with access to a smartphone are looking on to see what ye're saying.

I had a bord bia inspector on the round before this one comment to me didn't you do this very specific thing to me on the inspection. I hadn't it in the book. This was the only place I posted it. He had the specifics and quantity off by heart.
    I also had the same from family members and even the milk lorry driver comment that something looked different than how it looked on here.

There's no hiding place on here. Not like Twitter or fb. I can't be the only one that's noticed that.

So on the money..and its just become a venting ground last 12 months..the "where we going today "thread a prime example

• Advertisement

Panch18 wrote: »

I mean what ****ing planet are people living on. Are they so self obsessed that they don’t see the irony and complete and utter hypocrisy in their actions?

I wonder did the young lad get a good talking to after the show aired?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I wonder did the young lad get a good talking to after the show aired?

I'd say the neighbours won't be long saying something

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Panch18 wrote: »

''You're not your brothers keeper'' come to mind, not fair to attack Katherine, the guy is an adult now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

dmakc wrote: »
    I'm sorry but i have to say that O'Leary is nothing short of a b*ll**ks. My heart bleeds for his pitiful self milking 240 cows getting to go on national TV saying he's no choice but to kill calves after 10 days. If you find yourself doing what he does it might be time to cut back and not be a selfish p***k, never mind dragging the image of the industry down with you. Maybe we do deserve to go down?

That mentality there again, ... they were in his way, he had no choice, I didn't like doing it but sure what could I do, I'm a busy man, commercial farmer yadda yadda, made sure he left everyone know how many cows he had though

But still mad for getting on the telly to boost the profile, there might be a big job in it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I don't know about you "say my name", but I would have thought people would be fairly anonymous here unless they choose not to be?

Or maybe I'm a naive greenhorn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭straight

That mentality there again, ... they were in his way, he had no choice, I didn't like doing it but sure what could I do, I'm a busy man, commercial farmer yadda yadda, made sure he left everyone know how many cows he had though

But still mad for getting on the telly to boost the profile, there might be a big job in it yet.

Surely he could manage with a few less cows. It's the like of him that swallowed all the teagasc/new Zealand **** that's ruining the whole thing. The day I'm told that you cant make a living out of 100 cows - I'm out. The big boys can have at it. 2 bad years and alot of them will be broke.

straight wrote: »
    Surely he could manage with a few less cows. It's the like of him that swallowed all the teagasc/new Zealand **** that's ruining the whole thing. The day I'm told that you cant make a living out of 100 cows - I'm out. The big boys can have at it. 2 bad years and alot of them will be broke.

Lads are still in debt from the drought last year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Lads are still in debt from the drought last year

The extended credit scheme from Glanbia has left a lot of lads in bother, with the crappy enough back end/low milk price and a huge chuck took out of peak months cheque paying it back, their is a lot of suppliers up to their necks in it

jaymla627 wrote: »
    The extended credit scheme from Glanbia has left a lot of lads in bother, with the crappy enough back end/low milk price and a huge chuck took out of peak months cheque paying it back, their is a lot of suppliers up to their necks in it

Trading accounts frozen apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

And how do you always know this stuff? I havebt been told by any I know that they have money troubles

And how do you always know this stuff? I havebt been told by any I know that they have money troubles

Because board members have blabbed sensitive information. Gdpr how are you. I have heard the same from 2 different sources

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Grueller

Lads and Ladies,
    Please talk to me about water heating? Electric, gas or dairy geyser. I think that the electrical may be out as I am told I will never get a fully hot wash on the last few units?
    How costly is gas to run? I have the installation costs for gas and am waiting on dairy geyser to come back to me.
    I have been quoted €650 for an electric water heater.

I don't know about you "say my name", but I would have thought people would be fairly anonymous here unless they choose not to be?

The longer you're on here, your anonymity is gone. Sure I know your first name from private messages. I wouldn't share it but just saying. You know mine as well.

I've often typed out messages and then not posted them because of what the repercussions would be back on myself (in the real world).

The naivety will be bashed out of you in a while! Ha..

Contractors finding it hard to get paid this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

straight wrote: »
    The day I'm told that you cant make a living out of 100 cows - I'm out. The big boys can have at it. 2 bad years and alot of them will be broke.

Is this not the crux of the matter with farming?
    People’s required income for their desired standard of living and their skills + the farms ability to provide it.

On a side note the whole calf thing of the last while and recent events is pure gravy for vegan “propaganda???”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaymla627

If you go to your local committee meeting at years end ask what figure the co-op is carrying in debt owed to agri-trading side by farmers its north of 100 million and increasing every year.....
    Was in store on Monday morning, and within 5 minutes 6 lads came in and where all waiting to speak to the lad over trading accounts and contra, thought it was strange but then it tweaked with us the trading statements where put up online that morning, the contra figures must of been higher then expected.....
    Their is a nice little debt bubble out their but teagasc would have you believe dairy farms are almost debt free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Really......zero difference??
    I think you're overestimating the popularity of this thread just a tad
    Posting stuff on here is regarded in much the same way as taking out a front page ad on a national paper and publishing whatever your opinion on someone or something is. Not only would you be regarded as liable for posting it, the website would be liable for allowing it to remain up and mods would be in the firing line for not removing it.

I have no desire to spend a few years waiting for a court case to be called for something someone else posted.

A bit naive, tbh. Everything you post remains on the internet somewhere. A large portion of us have posted enough identifying information on what we do and where we live and work to make it relatively easy to track us down.

Even outside of that, the IP address we need to use to gain access to the internet is linked to whatever device we use to access the net and that device is linked to whomever pays the bill for that internet access.

Just because we use an anonymous name here doesn't mean we can't easily be identified or there won't be repercussions in the real world for what we post on here.

We mods don't have access to that information, just to clarify, but the records can be accessed by the relevant authorities.

So when you post, it isn't like sitting down with a few mates over a hot whiskey in your living room. It's more like printing a poster including your name and address and walking up and down the street in front of the local Garda station.

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU POST.

Normal service will now resume:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

If you go to your local committee meeting at years end ask what figure the co-op is carrying in debt owed to agri-trading side by farmers its north of 100 million and increasing every year.....
    Was in store on Monday morning, and within 5 minutes 6 lads came in and where all waiting to speak to the lad over trading accounts and contra, thought it was strange but then it tweaked with us the trading statements where put up online that morning, the contra figures must of been higher then expected.....
    Their is a nice little debt bubble out their but teagasc would have you believe dairy farms are almost debt free

65k the av farm debt is according to teagasc at yesterday's conference. In my own dg I'd say it's at least twice that with most, more if land has been bought. Would say most are doing quite well too, seem to have a good quality of life and standard of living, could never see us having that low of borrowings tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Grueller wrote: »
    Lads and Ladies,
    Please talk to me about water heating? Electric, gas or dairy geyser. I think that the electrical may be out as I am told I will never get a fully hot wash on the last few units?
    How costly is gas to run? I have the installation costs for gas and am waiting on dairy geyser to come back to me.

I'm in the same boat as you. No hot water for the last few weeks after the heater sprung a leak on the inside. Currently washing at about 35 degrees.

I'll be putting in gas because I am always short on enough hot water for washing. The figures I was given were 35 euro a week to heat 300 liters a day on night rate and 8 euro a week on gas to heat the same.

Gas is bloody dear to put in first day, especially using bulk rather than bottles, but it should pay back over a few years especially having hot water on demand every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Fukdy Fukdy Fukdy FUUK

single tb reactor,

I'm in the same boat as you. No hot water for the last few weeks after the heater sprung a leak on the inside. Currently washing at about 35 degrees.

I'll be putting in gas because I am always short on enough hot water for washing. The figures I was given were 35 euro a week to heat 300 liters a day on night rate and 8 euro a week on gas to heat the same.

Gas is bloody dear to put in first day, especially using bulk rather than bottles, but it should pay back over a few years especially having hot water on demand every day.

Thinking of going down the gas route here too. Approx 2500 for installation I was told. Is that with a full tank of gas. Gas retails at approx 65 cent per litre I was told.

orm0nd wrote: »
    Fukdy Fukdy Fukdy FUUK

single tb reactor,

Where you clear before this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Grueller wrote: »
    Lads and Ladies,

If you want to use electric use two heater linked in series. The water coming out of one will be topped up by water from the second and so will have plenty hot water. Got Atlantic ones for 500 a piece in dairygold a few years back

wrangler wrote: »
    ''You're not your brothers keeper'' come to mind, not fair to attack Katherine, the guy is an adult now

That farm is the basis of many of her articles, it provides the basis of her journalist income. In her article yesterday she was having a go at the beef protest, saying it was ruining the farming image. The very same day, the farm that she writes about, comes out on national television saying they are slaughtering calves at a young age. They chose to go on national tv to do that, the very same way she choose to publicly rebuke the tractor protest.

Now that is nothing short of utter hypocrisy in my mind. If she doesn't agree with tractor protest, thats fine, if they choose to slaughter calves, that again is their choice. But don't be complaining about damaging Irish agri when your very own flesh and blood goes on national TV to do far far more damage than the tractor protest

it stinks in my mind

• Advertisement

On a side note the whole calf thing of the last while and recent events is pure gravy for vegan “propaganda???”.

this in a nutshell is why i'm so p###sed off over the whole ear to the ground thing and the farming independent in the last few weeks

These guys are actively feeding the vegan propaganda machine - it's pure wreckless, uncalled for and unwarranted

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement