Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭visatorro

What do you do with cows with ketosis?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭C0N0R

visatorro wrote: »

Drench with glycol, iv dextrose, try to keep them eating out reduce the negative energy as much as possible. Fresh Calver?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭visatorro

C0N0R wrote: »
    Drench with glycol, iv dextrose, try to keep them eating out reduce the negative energy as much as possible. Fresh Calver?

Yeah iv a couple of them. Not enough protein in dry cow diet??? So I'm told..

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Did anyone see the front of the Farming Indo. What the fcck are they thinking printing that.
    Calves being killed with block hammers and plastic bags is just not happening

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Chanatol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Did anyone see the front of the Farming Indo. What the fcck are they thinking printing that.

Who let that out on the front of the paper ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭jaymla627

The ibr problem coming in 2021, would of been alot better headline, why is their a johnes program been prioritised over a ibr one, bvd testing should be scrapped and mandatory ibr vaccination instead also, but that wouldn't keep the labs in business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

I said it on here last week, but that f##ker McCullough is nothing short of an enemy to farming now. he has a clear agenda about him - and its not for our good

The sooner he is taken out of all media the better for all Irish farmers - he turning into a right parasite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Another bit on buildup of carbon in the soil.

https://lachefnet.wordpress.com/2019/08/03/soil-carbon-saturation-myth-or-reality/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

We may need to open a thread of it's own.
    We don't have the climate for those sort of soils even if the sward composition was changed to match it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

whelan2 wrote: »

Media are threat rouse, why does the likes of independent turn on the same farmers that buy there paper every Tuesday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,326 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I had a BB inspection recently and one of the first questions the inspector asked after getting out of their vehicle was what happens to the calves and what was the mortality rate on the farm.
    I replied was that not just a stupid question to be asking on an inspection when they have all that information already about the farm on the departments system. He agreed but it came from above.
    Back indoors they asked if I had any casualties or stock that was put to sleep. I replied I had one animal that broke a leg and was put down. They were a bit happier then that there was one they could put down on the BB records as being put down from the inspection.

There was a private report to be filled if I had stock going to a particular factory. I didn't have any stock going to that factory and I doubt I will so it wasn't filled out but I thought it rotten form that a private factory is using BB inspectors to go round farms and fill out reports.

The world has gone doolally lately. Must be all those veggie burgers.

The papers print what was said at this meeting.

I'm sure the same reporters will find out the name and address of this perpetrator from former Minister O Keefe for next weeks paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,272 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Just to keep people up to date, Darragh McCullough is not the editor of the Farming Indo, Margaret Donnelly is.
    Ranting at a journalist reminds me of some politician long ago wanting Gay Byrne taken off the air. Not going to happen. The old, shoot the messenger, line.
    BTW, I too have heard of a young farmer euthenasing calves. His own father told me, so it isn't a tale. Problem needs to be nipped in the bud, not bury our heads in the sand.
    Now their is an argument to saying, what's wrong with humane killing of them? We do it to male goats, we do it to male chicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Panch18 wrote: »
    ... but that f##ker McCullough is nothing short of an enemy to farming now.

There's three journalists you can tag on that headline and article, Claire Fox, Martin Ryan, and the editor Margaret Donnelly. I'm no great fan of Darragh but you've the wrong target here with your rabble rousing.

It is very bad form of them to publish the rantings of a crank like twice disgraced former Junior Minister O'Keeffe, and it has sidelined a lot of positives from the meeting.

If I was cynical I would say that it was a political stunt to keep the Taoiseach and Minister for Agriculture off the front page. No surprise that it was only the Independent that ran with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭dmakc

My (non-agri) workplace gets the newspapers every day and I had to throw the farming indo into the bin today to avoid people seeing that rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭straight

It's undeniable some people have taken on more numbers than they can handle. God knows why, but alot were encouraged down the numbers route by the likes of darragh. Plenty more people said just get the stock numbers up and the facilities can follow. Crazy carry on.

Water John wrote: »
    Just to keep people up to date, Darragh McCullough is not the editor of the Farming Indo, Margaret Donnelly is.
    Ranting at a journalist reminds me of some politician long ago wanting Gay Byrne taken off the air. Not going to happen. The old, shoot the messenger, line.
    BTW, I too have heard of a young farmer euthenasing calves. His own father told me, so it isn't a tale. Problem needs to be nipped in the bud, not bury our heads in the sand.
    Now their is an argument to saying, what's wrong with humane killing of them? We do it to male goats, we do it to male chicks.

The Department system is broken then if it's happening on farm and not being investigated.

You could say the teagasc pushing students to become immune to it in New Zealand was a problem too.

Seriously though Walter John I don't know anyone around here doing it. Maybe it's a CORK thing with low prices and big herds down there.

The trouble is we do love to talk ourselves into trouble as well. I had to block a few so called proponents of regenerative agriculture elsewhere on social media after I copped their operandi was just to attack what other so called conventional farmers were doing which they didn't really have a clue about and themselves not really doing much or posting much about their own systems. There's no shortage of armchair whinners out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,272 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Agreed. He doesn't farm in Cork BTW.

Agreed. He doesn't farm in Cork BTW.

I never knew you were out in Mongolia..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

There's three journalists you can tag on that headline and article, Claire Fox, Martin Ryan, and the editor Margaret Donnelly. I'm no great fan of Darragh but you've the wrong target here with your rabble rousing.

It is very bad form of them to publish the rantings of a crank like twice disgraced former Junior Minister O'Keeffe, and it has sidelined a lot of positives from the meeting.

If I was cynical I would say that it was a political stunt to keep the Taoiseach and Minister for Agriculture off the front page. No surprise that it was only the Independent that ran with it.

There's no doubt that the farming Indo has gone completely tabloid since Donnelly took over after leaving Agriland. And Darragh feeds right into that style. <snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Not enough energy in fresh cow diet or cows in too good a condition at calving I would have said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Darragh McCullogh is the deputy editor of the Farming independent - he knows damn well what is being published in that paper on a weekly basis as he had DIRECT INPUT into it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Winter milk diet should be 16% protein. Perhaps a transition diet for dry cow's in the 2 week before calving would help, similar to milkers but without the cal mag

An interesting tweet showing the sweet point between sequestration and maximising outputs from today's dairy conference.
    https://twitter.com/McEvoy_M/status/1201808437975363584?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

There's no doubt that the farming Indo has gone completely tabloid since Donnelly took over after leaving Agriland. And Darragh feeds right into that style. <snip>

hes a bit sensational no doubt..... however i would still read him or Donnelly before i would larrys Chief of staff in the farmers journal....

and Buford in fairness not all contributors to farming Indo are bad... some are good... but what sure what else would i say...:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Chanatol.
    You can get it put in the nuts if the problem is big enough or you're afraid of sub acute levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Theres a story running in the UK farming press this week about serious calf abuse at a farm belonging to a guy high up in the industry there - I think we may expect a lot of this sort of coverage over the next few years as big dairy comes more and more under the spotlight by journos,main stream press, NGO's, etc. Its a well established path that the pig and poultry business know all about. A few dodgy operators are going to do serious damage in this area I'm afraid

The booklet from the National Dairy Conference is in the link in the tweet below.
    https://twitter.com/teagasc/status/1202340574310936578?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭jaymla627

The booklet from the National Dairy Conference is in the link in the tweet below.
    https://twitter.com/teagasc/status/1202340574310936578?s=19

Can’t understand that retarded paper on system drift, Teagasc are safe enough lads aren’t going to jump ship to 9000 litre tmr housed herds given they have 95% of the cows breed in the country to their ideal grassland genetics that they simply would bankrupt any dairy farmer that would attempt it with high “ebi” stock Why their still pushing stocking rates at 3 plus cows to the hectare on the milking platform is beyond me, they know new nitrate regulations will put a stop to it, the bull calf issue wasn’t delved into much either, all heads in the sands, lets make some shiny graphs about high production herds been environmental bandits, but tommy down the road stocked at 4 cows /ha in derogation with the farm illuminous green year round from all that environmental friendly protected urea he’s putting out is in line for a Nobel peace price for helping to save the planet.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Can’t understand that retarded paper on system drift, Teagasc are safe enough lads aren’t going to jump ship to 9000 litre tmr housed herds given they have 95% of the cows breed in the country to their ideal grassland genetics that they simply would bankrupt any dairy farmer that would attempt it with high “ebi” stock Why their still pushing stocking rates at 3 plus cows to the hectare on the milking platform is beyond me, they know new nitrate regulations will put a stop to it, the bull calf issue wasn’t delved into much either, all heads in the sands, lets make some shiny graphs about high production herds been environmental bandits, but tommy down the road stocked at 4 cows /ha in derogation with the farm illuminous green year round from all that environmental friendly protected urea he’s putting out is in line for a Nobel peace price for helping to save the planet.....

In fairness Jay it’s not as easy as all that.
    Teagasc are kinda caught between a rock and a hard place. Farms are small, milk price is poor, and farmers need to pile on as many cows/ha as possible.
    The real dilemma is farm size.

Saying that the onus is surely on Teagasc to go find solutions for when nitrate regulation gets severe...
    The bull calf issue is being dealt with on a day to day timescale...talk up the beef game, instill ‘confidence’ in beef and hope for the best. Not good enough. Teagasc need to face up to the fact that there’s a huge probability that live exports of calves will be stopped. Yesterday was late to find solutions for when that happens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement