Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Would you wash the machine with the filter in it or change to a new filter before starting the wash?

I wash with the filter on all year. TBC under 10 so it seems to be working. TBC up to 17 now because I can only do a warm wash rather than a hot wash, a bit annoying.

I change the filter before the next milking at this time of year, daily after a rinse off during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Mooooo wrote: »
    Any of ye whom have excited winter milk how did yer yearly solid percentages compare between all spring production and split calving production? My bf is down since switching to spring on a yearly basis hard to know if it's genetics or diets or calving pattern etc

Our % are up here
    Av was 3.75 and 4.6 for 2018
    Were 3.85 and 4.64 up to the end of october.
    We'll be back a bit in kgs per cow due to a poor start aswell as carrying over the autumn calvers that were stale from September this year.

Next year will give us a much more accurate representation of what the herd can do. Very young herd and we can still tip 500kgs, theres easily 550kg in them as a mature herd

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Saucy enough, that include everthing? Did you look into it yourself??

Our % are up here
    Av was 3.75 and 4.6 for 2018
    Were 3.85 and 4.64 up to the end of october.
    We'll be back a bit in kgs per cow due to a poor start aswell as carrying over the autumn calvers that were stale from September this year.

Next year will give us a much more accurate representation of what the herd can do. Very young herd and we can still tip 500kgs, theres easily 550kg in them as a mature herd

Serious percentages there. I was generally around 4.1/ 4.2 bf and 3.5p when split calving, this year looking at 3.93bf and 3.63p or thereabouts. Had issues this year with acidosis alright bit last year's bf wasn't much higher. Will finish up around 460kg delivered 60% 1st and 2nd calvers this year with all calves on whole milk. Would hope to hit 500kg next year. I'd say genetics is catching me on the bf anyway. A couple 9f the bulls I've used have fallen on bf as they become proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭straight

U would have a feeder for 8500

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

https://www.charriau.com/fr/pre-refroidisseur-de-lait

Made close to me.
    I’ve one that’s installed with decades and never a problem.
    At over 40*C in the height of summer the milk never hits the tank at over 11*C.
    The warm water from the system is much appreciated by the ladies in the height of winter.

Are they more expensive than a plate cooler?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

whelan2 wrote: »
    I take the filter out after the first rinse goes through.

so do i and replace with new one for next milking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Serious percentages there. I was generally around 4.1/ 4.2 bf and 3.5p when split calving, this year looking at 3.93bf and 3.63p or thereabouts. Had issues this year with acidosis alright bit last year's bf wasn't much higher. Will finish up around 460kg delivered 60% 1st and 2nd calvers this year with all calves on whole milk. Would hope to hit 500kg next year. I'd say genetics is catching me on the bf anyway. A couple 9f the bulls I've used have fallen on bf as they become proven.

On combined f+p your not massively out across the 2 years, however one kg of p is worth more than a kg of bf so you should still be winning. When you say acidosis, from feeding too much meal or what? A bf drop in April/may is usually caused by a flush of fresh grass, you'll spot this immediately with froth in the overflow jar, I like to keep the meal in that bit longer to help avoid this, and for 1st round of breeding, I also try avoid hammering the cows with just fresh grass, so I'll try juggle say pure lush grass at night and a slightly bigger cover during the day, that's not hugely practical always though.

Timmaay wrote: »
    On combined f+p your not massively out across the 2 years, however one kg of p is worth more than a kg of bf so you should still be winning. When you say acidosis, from feeding too much meal or what? A bf drop in April/may is usually caused by a flush of fresh grass, you'll spot this immediately with froth in the overflow jar, I like to keep the meal in that bit longer to help avoid this, and for 1st round of breeding, I also try avoid hammering the cows with just fresh grass, so I'll try juggle say pure lush grass at night and a slightly bigger cover during the day, that's not hugely practical always though.

Dairygold put a bit more weighting on bf recently, also due to every cow going full lactation when split calving yield per cow is also back. Yes it was the grass, adjusting ration to correct it but it went 1 to 1 for a bit. Breeding and everything else went well but still feeding more than most for that level of production

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

friend of mine has one.... fine job in fairness... but that is what they cost... he was telling me that over so many yrs twas just 3euro/day or something like that....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Cows still out day and night, protein 4.27, nobody believes me though :( low stocking rate and plenty after grass, struggling but managing. Should hopefully have them out day and night to Dec 3rd and in by night out by day to Dec 20th if weather corporates :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭straight

friend of mine has one.... fine job in fairness... but that is what they cost... he was telling me that over so many yrs twas just 3euro/day or something like that....

That's where calculators get dangerous. Anything that makes the spring easier is worth it. How much is a double hip operation

Timmaay wrote: »

Glanbia weighting higher for bf since last year iirc..
    Stick a bale of straw out, stronger grass only hitting your protein. Acidosis is very much a hol problem though, its not an issue here with us

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭alps

straight wrote: »
    How much is a double hip operation

Would it be a legitimate farm expense?

After all it was farm related wear and tear..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Glanbia weighting higher for bf since last year iirc..
    Stick a bale of straw out, stronger grass only hitting your protein. Acidosis is very much a hol problem though, its not an issue here with us

For Glanbia the ratio use to be 2.3 units of bf was worth the same as 1 unit of p, last year they changed this to 1.5, so a kg of protein is still 50% more value than a kg of bf.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,213 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Milkman after collecting milk this evening, he also collected the milk early this morning. Wasnt talking to him so dont know the story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Anyone hearing rumours about an upcoming PrimeTime exposé on calf welfare on a dairy farm to be aired in next few weeks on RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,379 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Anyone hearing rumours about an upcoming PrimeTime exposé on calf welfare on a dairy farm to be aired in next few weeks on RTE?

Secret investigation on somewhere?

Reggie. wrote: »
    Secret investigation on somewhere?

Apparently footage from a Limerick dairy farm showing 'mistreatment' of calves. No announcement yet when its being shown. Only a matter of time before it happened, all the hard work being done by good farmers will be tarnished by finding one farm to show a negative image.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Apparently footage from a Limerick dairy farm showing 'mistreatment' of calves. No announcement yet when its being shown. Only a matter of time before it happened, all the hard work being done by good farmers will be tarnished by finding one farm to show a negative image.

Rumours everywhere.
    Rumours now it'll be left till February for maximum impact on farmers.
    Still only rumours that such a program was made.

There was a program made about the thoroughbred racing industry similar to that greyhound one. It was announced on radio 1 that it was made along with the greyhound one but the powers that be got it quashed so it couldn't be aired.

Farmers don't have the same pull that the thoroughbred industry has in RTE so my guess is if it's made it'll be aired in the new year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,087 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Rumours everywhere.
    Rumours now it'll be left till February for maximum impact on farmers.
    Still only rumours that such a program was made.

There was a program made about the thoroughbred racing industry similar to that greyhound one. It was announced on radio 1 that it was made along with the greyhound one but the powers that be got it quashed so it couldn't be aired.

Farmers don't have the same pull that the thoroughbred industry has in RTE so my guess is if it's made it'll be aired in the new year.

There's nearly always depression involved when there's cruelty cases........ farmers don't abuse animals normally.
    Dvo is usualy sympathetic to such cases , RTE mightn't be bothered to look deeper

• Registered Users Posts: 11,108 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

If true not condoning it but fair play ,well done and congrats for posting this .....ffs we’ve enough to deal with

mahoney_j wrote: »
    If true not condemning it but fair play ,well done and congrats for posting this .....ffs we’ve enough to deal with

I didn't create a seperate thread so as not to draw attention to it. But burying your head in the sand is not the answer. The co-op involved needs to have a spokesperson primed and ready to respond and not get caught flat footed in the aftermath

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

If true not condemning it but fair play ,well done and congrats for posting this .....ffs we’ve enough to deal with

Is the word "condoning" you're looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,108 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Is the word "condoning" you're looking for?

That would be correct !!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,379 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

That would be correct !!

Makes more sense alright

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I got notice that I’ve lost sfp on 7.7ha. I reseeded it last autumn with a 4way mix of aberxxxx, cocksfoot, plantain and clover. Wasn’t enough. It must be at least a 6 way mix including 2 clovers and 2 herbs...
    Also lost sfp on 6.7ha because the satellite spotted horses grazing on it and I’ve no horses declared on farm...

6+ mixes are on the way folks and Tbh it’s hard to disagree with their thinking. No point in claiming to sequester carbon (etc) on ryegrass monocultures.

I got notice that I’ve lost sfp on 7.7ha. I reseeded it last autumn with a 4way mix of aberxxxx, cocksfoot, plantain and clover. Wasn’t enough. It must be at least a 6 way mix including 2 clovers and 2 herbs...
    Also lost sfp on 6.7ha because the satellite spotted horses grazing on it and I’ve no horses declared on farm...

6+ mixes are on the way folks and Tbh it’s hard to disagree with their thinking. No point in claiming to sequester carbon (etc) on ryegrass monocultures.
    Why didnt you sow 6 way mix if thats what is supposed to be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Supposedly straight ryegrass isn't going to be allowed here anymore either in the next year or two

• Advertisement

Do ryegrass swards not sequester carbon? I haven't used monoculture put do use a mix of ryegrasses. They would want to start doing proper trials with clovers etc on a mixture of ground types as doing it on good dry ground is feckall good to the rest of us. A lot of clover in my swards would mean delayed turnout and early housing in 4 out of 5 years with reduced ground cover and lower temps on wetter ground, with more often reseeding. It may not decrease the carbon footprint at all

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement