Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Or cefimam. Same drug I think. 3rd generation drug from cepravin. Supposed to be very good

There some the ones that'll be banned eventually. Higher scc cow's would benefit from the longer acting drugs. I think the longest meat withdrawal is 28 days but I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Mooooo wrote: »
    There some the ones that'll be banned eventually. Higher scc cow's would benefit from the longer acting drugs. I think the longest meat withdrawal is 28 days but I could be wrong

So I here. We switched to it this year after years of using orbenin
    24 hrs milk 2 days meat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

I thought cefaguard and it's relatives were after getting more restricted and only to be used as a last resort under vet advice? I could be wrong but I thought I read that at some farm walk I was at

• Registered Users Posts: 6,583 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I thought cefaguard and it's relatives were after getting more restricted and only to be used as a last resort under vet advice? I could be wrong but I thought I read that at some farm walk I was at

It’s banned in the UK alright, still available here for the minute, their brilliant tubes, been using them the past 4 years here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

jaymla627 wrote: »
    It’s banned in the UK alright, still available here for the minute, their brilliant tubes, been using them the past 4 years here

I just did a quick search there, the only thing that turned up was a newsletter from a different co-op but it sounds familiar to me.
    https://drinagh.com/news/2019/09/20/september-2019-newsletter/

• Advertisement

I just did a quick search there, the only thing that turned up was a newsletter from a different co-op but it sounds familiar to me.
    https://drinagh.com/news/2019/09/20/september-2019-newsletter/

You could still get them from your vet, it's just more hoops for producers to jump through, all on top of scc bands been lowered all the time with not an extra cent been paid in the case of glanbia, the main issue with amr is the general population running to the doctor everytime they have a sniffle for antibiotics. and the doctors been bigger clowns giving them out like sweets

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

You could still get them from your vet, it's just more hoops for producers to jump through, all on top of scc bands been lowered all the time with not an extra cent been paid in the case of glanbia, the main issue with amr is the general population running to the doctor everytime they have a sniffle for antibiotics. and the doctors been bigger clowns giving them out like sweets
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

There's a second paper on the soil carbon in the same timeframe that rubbishes the idea that above ground crop residues make any impact on soil carbon. Large increase in plant populations in that time and much higher levels of residues in fertilizer plots but still soil carbon declines.

A bit of fertilizer/nutrients imports needed to keep soil balanced AND plant diversity is needed for best results.
    Maybe with more diversity the zero fertilizer plots might have held things better.
    The loss of soil n is well correlated with loss of soil carbon in the same plots. As old organic matter is being turned over most likely it's just not being replaced due to less microbial activity.
    There was work done in Germany on multi species grassland that found the highest soil carbon was in the plots with the highest inputs and the highest turnover of carbon. Sort of like trying to maximize the amount of water in a tank with holes in it, the faster you pump water in, the faster it will flow out the bottom but ultimately you'll have more in it.

I’m beginning to think that we’re on the cusp of a ‘new’ way of farming. The consumer and climate change policies will demand that we farm in a more environmentally friendly way.
    There’s figures being bandied about that x, y and z ways of producing milk and beef etc are actually beneficial to the environment...but they’re not. Fake science abounds. There needs to be an exact metric put on this so that consumers and politicians know that agriculture is part of the solution and not the problem.
    Being part of the solution will mean a paradigm shift in thinking on the way we farm.

Dairygold don't sell them mainly because there seemed to be too many lads fecked up in recording which cow got which tube drying off. Using the short acting on some and long acting on others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I was at a meeting last night and a few lads were saying they heard of lads locally who had collars on their cows and put in PV solar panels which interfered with the signals from the cows collars.

So cows showing heat would go undrafted and wrong rations given in FTY and data going lost because they weren't able to access the cloud with it before being lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I was at a meeting last night and a few lads were saying they heard of lads locally who had collars on their cows and put in PV solar panels which interfered with the signals from the cows collars.

So cows showing heat would go undrafted and wrong rations given in FTY and data going lost because they weren't able to access the cloud with it before being lost.

Think I'll stick to the tail paint...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭cosatron

They are making milking cows very technical. I’m all on for technology but the only winner is the sales man.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭einn32

LED lights can upset them too.

cosatron wrote: »
    They are making milking cows very technical. I’m all on for technology but the only winner is the sales man.

One of the best investments ever made here, heat detection is only a fraction of what the new type systems do, scr system here monitors health/rumination/ and even has a distress calving feature, had 3 cows this year that had backwards calves our a foot down, the system flagged a alert to my phone and when I handled cows sure enough they where in bother, picks up cows going to get mastitis our ibr a day before any clinical symptoms displayed either, also generates reports on cows gone incalf our cows that are anterous/not cycling along with suspected abortions...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭cosatron

One of the best investments ever made here, heat detection is only a fraction of what the new type systems do, scr system here monitors health/rumination/ and even has a distress calving feature, had 3 cows this year that had backwards calves our a foot down, the system flagged a alert to my phone and when I handled cows sure enough they where in bother, picks up cows going to get mastitis our ibr a day before any clinical symptoms displayed either, also generates reports on cows gone incalf our cows that are anterous/not cycling along with suspected abortions...

Oh I’m not knocking it. Technology has it place in farming but I fear farmers are becoming too reliant on it and there husbandry skills will suffer as a consequence. Every thing you mentioned there in your post, we can also tell by looking at the cow and knowing her habits.

Out of 7cows calved yesterday 3 had stillborn calves. Never had so many stillborn in one day. All calvings were supervised.
    Should I presume a cause for concern, or just see how the rest pan out?
    What could be the possible causes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Out of 7cows calved yesterday 3 had stillborn calves. Never had so many stillborn in one day. All calvings were supervised.

Hopefully just a bad day , never saw much still births being honest although I’ve had 2 abortions in last 10 days at 6 months !
    Nearly always have 1/2 ths time of the year anyway for some reason touch wood that’s it!
    Hope things improve for u .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Lack of iodine

• Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Iodine deficiency ,1 cc per cow lugiols iodine in water

How were they presented, backwards, etc? Have they been in a different group or on a different diet to those whom have calved before this point? Do you do mineral analysis of the forage? Could take them to the dvo lab equivalent put there to see if there is anything also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭straight

Bps balance out tomorrow. Badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

straight wrote: »

Think of us who have no payment what so ever yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

straight wrote: »

“Balance”, we’ve received zero thus far. Hoping for 100% tomorrow.

“Balance”, we’ve received zero thus far. Hoping for 100% tomorrow.

You can see it on agfood now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Ignorance.
    I didn’t know any better. I rotate grass with maize etc, but that field is shallow and very dry, so I said I’d leave it in permanent pasture. To get area aid on permanent pasture it must be a minimum of a 6 way mix. Downside of permanent pastures is that you can’t ever change back to tillage...I’ll stick maize into it again next year.
    When did mixed species swards come up on the radar in France, given that it would seem to be official policy now? Are they becoming normalised?
    We're only waking up to them now and even at that their still seen as fringe and a backward step by the mainstream ryegrass free N establishments.

Mooooo wrote: »
    How were they presented, backwards, etc? Have they been in a different group or on a different diet to those whom have calved before this point? Do you do mineral analysis of the forage? Could take them to the dvo lab equivalent put there to see if there is anything also

Turns out that two of the calvings were twins that waited nearly a day for the second twin to come...that might indicate something is up?
    The third stillborn was 34 days before time.
    9 have calved since without any bother whatsoever, so steady as she goes.
    I’ll be keeping an eye on how things progress.

When did mixed species swards come up on the radar in France, given that it would seem to be official policy now? Are they becoming normalised?
    We're only waking up to them now and even at that their still seen as fringe and a backward step by the mainstream ryegrass free N establishments.

It’s been discussed with decades but with ever stricter regulation of nitrogen it’s very topical now. Mixed species grasses, clovers and herbs will add some drought resistance also with the likes of the newer fescues, cocksfoot, plantains etc.
    Since the Paris Accord the Dept of Ag etc have been researching ways to increase carbon storage and try to ameliorate the risk of drought. It’s not going down well with farmers that when you’ve continuous pasture (5yrs or more) you can’t ever return it to tillage.

Mixed species pasture can actually compare quite favorably with high N monoculture grasses.

Turns out that two of the calvings were twins that waited nearly a day for the second twin to come...that might indicate something is up?
    The third stillborn was 34 days before time.
    9 have calved since without any bother whatsoever, so steady as she goes.
    I’ll be keeping an eye on how things progress.

Could be subclinical milk fever on the twins? Are the lads/ ladies who calved them experienced? Would always check for a second calf here if calf born is small or early. The 34 days one could be anything, cow may have gotten a belt off another cow or something like that

It’s been discussed with decades but with ever stricter regulation of nitrogen it’s very topical now. Mixed species grasses, clovers and herbs will add some drought resistance also with the likes of the newer fescues, cocksfoot, plantains etc.
    Since the Paris Accord the Dept of Ag etc have been researching ways to increase carbon storage and try to ameliorate the risk of drought. It’s not going down well with farmers that when you’ve continuous pasture (5yrs or more) you can’t ever return it to tillage.

Mixed species pasture can actually compare quite favorably with high N monoculture grasses.

I think I like the idea of mixed pastures. Should be better for the cows mineral intakes, etc and better for soil health maybe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Another bit on buildup of carbon in the soil.

https://lachefnet.wordpress.com/2019/08/03/soil-carbon-saturation-myth-or-reality/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

We may need to open a thread of it's own.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement