Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

whelan2 wrote: »
    These type

That looks it was especially designed to catch a cows head! Will you be still using that shed when new one is up and running?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,104 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    That looks it was especially designed to catch a cows head! Will you be still using that shed when new one is up and running?

No thankfully. Only one row of those cubicles and every year we get one like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The urea inhibitors being promoted in this country now. Does anyone know the names of them?

Is DCD approved and used?

Edit: If anyone is going to the dairy day tomorrow and urea inhibitors are brought up as the next big saviour. Ask them is DCD approved and used here in this country and why, especially since it's pulled off the market in New Zealand after it was found in milk samples and waterways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

The urea inhibitors being promoted in this country now. Does anyone know the names of them?

Is DCD approved and used?

Edit: If anyone is going to the dairy day tomorrow and urea inhibitors are brought up as the next big saviour. Ask them is DCD approved and used here in this country and why, especially since it's pulled off the market in New Zealand after it was found in milk samples and waterways.

NBPT is the inhibitor used in most fertilisers here with one company using 2-NPT MPA.
    Not sure if that helps or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

NBPT is the inhibitor used in most fertilisers here with one company using 2-NPT MPA.
    Not sure if that helps or not.

It's just I'm on my quest through my book atm and the author mentions DCD that was used in New Zealand.
    So a bit of googling through up it was being tested in trials here which I thought was a bit stupid since it was banned in New Zealand in 2013 because of milk markets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

28 cow's I dried off yday made there way into a fields with a nice 1100 cover on it, so much for soaking them up anyway feckers are after a better feed than the ones still milking

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Are the electronics for alfa cluster removers much more complicated than dairy master ones does anyone know?

Anyone go to the dairy day thingy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Anyone go to the dairy day thingy?

Just back now, after the car broke down in Abbeyfeale. Interesting day, I wouldn't go every year but it was worth going to see. I missed the discussions but there's supposed an interesting one with John Penno online next week.

Are the electronics for alfa cluster removers much more complicated than dairy master ones does anyone know?

I have Delaval ones installed with a few years and very little electronics in them. A float with a magnet triggers an electrical signal to start or stop the takeoff cycle.

• Advertisement

Checked my inplate cooler yesterday. I have yet to open it without ripping my fingers. Tiny cuts that bleed and bleed. Had milking gloves on which just made the blood worse. Hateful job

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Checked my inplate cooler yesterday. I have yet to open it without ripping my fingers. Tiny cuts that bleed and bleed. Had milking gloves on which just made the blood worse. Hateful job

What do you check it for? Had 1 here for years and never went near it.

What do you check it for? Had 1 here for years and never went near it.

There's a tiny bleed hole in it gets blocked . Doesn't happen too often as I have air blasting through it at each milking.

Any of ye whom have excited winter milk how did yer yearly solid percentages compare between all spring production and split calving production? My bf is down since switching to spring on a yearly basis hard to know if it's genetics or diets or calving pattern etc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Saw in a paper of a french made cooling kit. Simply a coil of water pipe with a stainless steel pipe inside it with counter flow of water and milk.
    Worth researching if putting in a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Water John wrote: »
    Saw in a paper of a french made cooling kit. Simply a coil of water pipe with a stainless steel pipe inside it with counter flow of water and milk.

https://www.charriau.com/fr/pre-refroidisseur-de-lait

Made close to me.
    I’ve one that’s installed with decades and never a problem.
    At over 40*C in the height of summer the milk never hits the tank at over 11*C.
    The warm water from the system is much appreciated by the ladies in the height of winter.

Any of ye have or price up a milk taxi or an Urban milk shuttle? Basically milk trollies with their own drive motor that can also heat / cool and mix milk. They can come with pasteurisers also

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭MF290

Anyone see the 308 acre glenstal farm ad in last weeks journal.
    “Entitlements leased and payed back to the owners”
    Obviously happening all over the country, but to have it published in the journal. There is something very wrong with farm subsidies.
    Is this even above board?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭jaymla627

MF290 wrote: »
    Obviously happening all over the country, but to have it published in the journal. There is something very wrong with farm subsidies.

That lad is a authority to himself, wonder will he find a victim for the place at the money quoted, needs a small fortune spent on it by the looks of it, the rent review every five years is a sneaky clause too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

At a milk quality workshop lately they said tou should wash with filter in to prevent plate cooler getting blocked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

MF290 wrote: »

It is legal, it's even tax free if they're leased with the land
    It's expected that the entitlements will be taken from the landlords in the next Cap Reform, I'm expecting to lose mine anyway

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Water John wrote: »

Any link?

K.G. wrote: »
    At a milk quality workshop lately they said tou should wash with filter in to prevent plate cooler getting blocked

One of the biggest issues with relief milkers here was them removing the filter before washing the machine and not replacing it before circulating the detergent. I got sick of having to rip the plate cooler to wash it so any one that removes it doesn't get asked back again:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Gawd has provided one, post 6827.

Yeah, MB does have form.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

One of the biggest issues with relief milkers here was them removing the filter before washing the machine and not replacing it before circulating the detergent. I got sick of having to rip the plate cooler to wash it so any one that removes it doesn't get asked back again:mad:

Never knew that. I always remove the filter before washing the machine

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Never knew that. I always remove the filter before washing the machine

Would you wash the machine with the filter in it or change to a new filter before starting the wash?

I take the filter out after the first rinse goes through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

jaymla627 wrote: »
    That lad is a authority to himself, wonder will he find a victim for the place at the money quoted, needs a small fortune spent on it by the looks of it, the rent review every five years is a sneaky clause too

the Farming Independent needs to give him his P45.... i enjoy reading the farming supplement.. good contributors across every aspect of farming.. v independent minded people except for him whos has his own interests at heart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Mooooo wrote: »
    Any of ye have or price up a milk taxi or an Urban milk shuttle? Basically milk trollies with their own drive motor that can also heat / cool and mix milk. They can come with pasteurisers also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭straight

jaymla627 wrote: »

Looks like he'll have a queue of fools willing to plough money into the place and work for nothing for 20 years and hand back a fine farm at the end of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement