Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,107 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Can you buy the hand pump for a big barrel of detergent in it's own?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,077 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

whelan2 wrote: »

Yep got one in local coop store ,there dear tho 50 euro ,I buy detergent ,acid and tear dip in 200 Ltrs drums talk to rep and they’ll throw it in with purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

whelan2 wrote: »

https://jebbtools.ie/products/toolzone-big-syphon-pump

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭straight

Some sick puppies on climate change week on rte. My teagasc adviser was saying they have the new guidelines for derogation and the days of high stocking rates are over. I wouldn't be taking on too much debt at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

straight wrote: »
    Some sick puppies on climate change week on rte. My teagasc adviser was saying they have the new guidelines for derogation and the days of high stocking rates are over. I wouldn't be taking on too much debt at the moment

Had a look at the recommended diet for the week, pretty much all of it would be imported bar apples and porridge

• Advertisement

Had a look at the recommended diet for the week, pretty much all of it would be imported bar apples and porridge

Marco is no advertisement for that diet anyway. Shook looking creature

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

Have a heifer scanned due first few days of Feb. Noticed her with more of a dug than others today and dripping a tiny drop of milk. Any thoughts, has she more than likely lost the calf or is about to.??No sign of any foetus in cubicles yet.
    Any way she could be dripping a tiny amount of milk and still hold to February date??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Inspection by the Coop this morning...cleanliness, animal welfare etc etc.
    They tell me that from 2022 all fym will have to be covered by a shed. More money.

Not long after the Coop came (unannounced) to inspect, a gas storage inspector came unannounced also. Told him to work away...all’s well with storage tanks, gas bottles etc. He went into the garage and inspected the mig welder and the oxy- acetylene torch...no signage visible, so €1k fine.
    Jesus wept.

The regulation of farms/industry is some money spinner, not to mention jobs for the boys...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

They tell me that from 2022 all fym will have to be covered by a shed. More money.

Not long after the Coop came (unannounced) to inspect, a gas storage inspector came unannounced also. Told him to work away...all’s well with storage tanks, gas bottles etc. He went into the garage and inspected the mig welder and the oxy- acetylene torch...no signage visible, so €1k fine.
    Jesus wept.

The regulation of farms/industry is some money spinner, not to mention jobs for the boys...
    If it gets as bad here, im out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

So my water heater was diagnosed as having terminal leaks internally and will need to be replaced. Limescale is a big problem here so water treatment will be needed as well.

Electricity seems to be the handiest but most lads here seem to be changing over to gas so I was wondering what non electric water heaters folk here are using and any positive/negative points you've found?

TIA.

• Advertisement

So my water heater was diagnosed as having terminal leaks internally and will need to be replaced. Limescale is a big problem here so water treatment will be needed as well.

Electricity seems to be the handiest but most lads here seem to be changing over to gas so I was wondering what non electric water heaters folk here are using and any positive/negative points you've found?

TIA.

I'd be leaning towards changing to gas myself. I know a lot of lads have old oil boilers

Jesus wept.

Ah sure dairy farming is highly profitable. What's the problem with helping others to live

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

TIA.

Had a good look at this a few months ago as we had exactly the same problem. We had a 200l electric, so at times we had to turn on during the day for various reasons. We hit wash probably twice a week and collected 3 times.

Just couldn't justify either the gas or the geyser type heaters, as the savings proclaimed were blown out of all proportion.

We ended up buying a 300l, 3kw Atlantic heater, floor standing for about 600€. It has enough capacity to do a machine wash and a tank wash and means that it is now programmed solely for night rate electricity.

Even if it took the whole night to heat, which im realibly advised it doesn't the max it can cost is 3kw×8hrs×0.07€=1.68€ per day.

We don't need water for milk replacer or anything else and it really is a miniscule cost compared to the other systems..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Have two elec heaters here, connected in series? So the water comes out of the first with hot water filling into the first from the second one, allows for plenty hot water to hot wash the plant and use a hot/ warm rinse after milking, before the hot wash to get plant up to temp

alps wrote: »
    Had a good look at this a few months ago as we had exactly the same problem. We had a 200l electric, so at times we had to turn on during the day for various reasons. We hit wash probably twice a week and collected 3 times.

Just couldn't justify either the gas or the geyser type heaters, as the savings proclaimed were blown out of all proportion.

We ended up buying a 300l, 3kw Atlantic heater, floor standing for about 600€. It has enough capacity to do a machine wash and a tank wash and means that it is now programmed solely for night rate electricity.

Even if it took the whole night to heat, which im realibly advised it doesn't the max it can cost is 3kw×8hrs×0.07€=1.68€ per day.

We don't need water for milk replacer or anything else and it really is a miniscule cost compared to the other systems..

I'd be a bit reluctant to go down that route as those heaters only lasted a few years here, we've gone through a share of them. Maybe they might last better with the limescale taken out, though?

I'm fairly tight for hot water volume anyway so this may be the push I need to get that up to where it needs to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Jesus wept.

2nd tb test per year on the way here too apparently, money for the boys is right.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Have two elec heaters here, connected in series? So the water comes out of the first with hot water filling into the first from the second one, allows for plenty hot water to hot wash the plant and use a hot/ warm rinse after milking, before the hot wash to get plant up to temp

I'd always rinse with the warmest water from the plate cooler and it does seem to help in rinsing out.

We can get 3 washes from the one mix of detergent with a TBC below 10 most of the year. The new regulations on chlorine might scupper that with lads saying there will have to be a hot wash every day from now on:confused:

I'd always rinse with the warmest water from the plate cooler and it does seem to help in rinsing out.

We can get 3 washes from the one mix of detergent with a TBC below 10 most of the year. The new regulations on chlorine might scupper that with lads saying there will have to be a hot wash every day from now on:confused:

Could be wrong but I was under the impression if you had no issues with tcm tests there should be no issue using chlorine products?
    Fine here but I split rinse the plant here. I let have the water trough thru after milking then I fill it and rinse again. Detergent next an then split rinse after the detergent again, half trough and full trough with a few shots of serpent in full trough. Circodine P detergent in plant.
    Use avalkasan in the tank but that always did two rinses before and after detergent wash.
    TCM all passed this year and highest TBC was 7 so far. Hot wash once a week with circodine p as well but tend to top up the rinse post milking with hot water so it would be a warm second rinse iykwim
    Plenty rinsing either way is the key I think to remove any residue. Also electric pumps and the jars on there side don't lend themselves to flushing out completely hence the split rinses here

alps wrote: »

If u have to put in night rate especially you have an extra ground rent too. I've an Atlantic heater for the past 10 years and it's fine but some people avoid them now because they're inferior quality. I believe if you convert to gas they give you a lot of free fuel which more or less covers the installation cost?

There's free tickets to Dairy Day next Tuesday on eventbrite.ie until tomorrow if anyone is going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

There's free tickets to Dairy Day next Tuesday on eventbrite.ie until tomorrow if anyone is going.

Nice one..appreciate the heads up..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Did you go to listowel tonite?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'd be a bit reluctant to go down that route as those heaters only lasted a few years here, we've gone through a share of them. Maybe they might last better with the limescale taken out, though?

I'm fairly tight for hot water volume anyway so this may be the push I need to get that up to where it needs to be.

We got sick of the limescale rotting every element and kettle here within 6 months so we put in a water softener that uses salt. The 1st softener we got cost about 500e, did the job but broke after 4yrs and wasn't worth fixing, last one I got put in a year ago for 950e installed and that seems to be more durable definitely. Defo seems to of fixed all the problems, we have got 5 years out of the current water heater.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭visatorro

I'm surprised there isn't more farmer's throwing in solar panels aswell. Lad beside me putting in alot of PV panels. Be interesting to see how he goes.

visatorro wrote: »
    I'm surprised there isn't more farmer's throwing in solar panels aswell. Lad beside me putting in alot of PV panels. Be interesting to see how he goes.

No refit tarriff is the problem.

Did you go to listowel tonite?

I did. I'll throw something up in the milk price thread in a few minutes.

Timmaay wrote: »
    We got sick of the limescale rotting every element and kettle here within 6 months so we put in a water softener that uses salt. The 1st softener we got cost about 500e, did the job but broke after 4yrs and wasn't worth fixing, last one I got put in a year ago for 950e installed and that seems to be more durable definitely. Defo seems to of fixed all the problems, we have got 5 years out of the current water heater.
    Looks like I'll be going down a similar route here. €1k for a metered system that just needs the salt added and will clean the probes(?) Itself.

The heating cost is firmly stacked in favour of gas. €35 a week to heat 300l daily with an electric heater against €8 a week for gas to do the same. Installing costs much the same once the fill of gas provided is factored in.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,107 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was behind a tractor drawing maize on the way to football there now. Is there now left to be harvested and would the quality have deteriorated with it being so late?

It would be high dm so more difficult to ensike but quality should be ok I think depending on frost experienced. I'd say there seems to be more harvested too early than too late in some cases but with different varieties I'm not sure. Ours used to be done roughly in the last two weeks of Oct,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭visatorro

straight wrote: »
    No refit tarriff is the problem.

Can you explain that for me please?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement