Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Grain imports high in energy but not really right to compare them to meat and dairy

Yes it is a bit crude, but the vast majority of the millions of tons of feed imported would be animal feed, wouldn’t it? Artificial fert would surely be 100% used in agriculture?
    It’s an interesting metric all the same. I wonder how the rest of the world would fare. I suppose that the Americas would be way more productive than us.
    Anyone privy to the full FAO report on other countries?
    It’s fair disheartening to see all the same. All those imports do put a perspective on the real productivity of Irish agricultural exports.
    I’d love to see the results for the rest of the world.
    What I find puzzling is the significant plunge from 2000 to 2013. Any ideas as to why?

http://www.fao.org/faostat/en/#data/FBS

I don’t have enough space on my phone to read this.

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Lots of dodgy calculators knocking about within govt and advisory bodies over these parts ......

Leo/Teagasc etc are trying to water down the figures for emissions etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Yes it is a bit crude, but the vast majority of the millions of tons of feed imported would be animal feed, wouldn’t it? Artificial fert would surely be 100% used in agriculture?
    It’s an interesting metric all the same. I wonder how the rest of the world would fare. I suppose that the Americas would be way more productive than us.
    Anyone privy to the full FAO report on other countries?
    It’s fair disheartening to see all the same. All those imports do put a perspective on the real productivity of Irish agricultural exports.
    I’d love to see the results for the rest of the world.
    What I find puzzling is the significant plunge from 2000 to 2013. Any ideas as to why?

http://www.fao.org/faostat/en/#data/FBS

I don’t have enough space on my phone to read this.

It's probably more of an indicator of the balance between crops and animals in this part of the world. Would potato area+beet area have dropped quite a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Icbf have given me 2 extra cow's on paper the last few months, wherever they got em. At 400kg solids to the end of Sept, will probably get to 480 delivered for the year with slightly early drying and no milk sent in Jan. Dumped a lot of milk in the spring due to scc so maybe would have hit the 500 if it wasn't for that. Still ok for a youngish herd I think. Litres per cow were back a good bit on last year for Sep and August but was feeding 2 kg more per head last year and grass was starting to grow on again as well I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Moo check your icbf stock reconciliation report, you should be able to pull up a list of milk cows month by month somewhere, I'd assume 2 other beef animals or something are in with the milkers somehow? That's if your very pedantic and all that lol, I had a good few extra cows on the report due to culls being stuck here with tb, easy enough to just subtract them and work out the actual figures. Should end up at 455kg/cow, or 5450l here, from looking at the milk recording I got a few 3rd and 4th lac cows only doing 300-350kgms/yr, I need to be alot more ruthless culling them, and I'd be hitting 500kg/cow without too much effort. Tb at the minute absolutely won't give me the luxury of culling them this year though.

I found them one was a heifer that calved and never milked, have her ticked off as dry on icbf as well, the extra one seems to be a maiden they stuck in a calving date in for some reason in June. The recordings are all there with 112 milking so dunno why they added em in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Timmaay wrote: »
    Moo check your icbf stock reconciliation report, you should be able to pull up a list of milk cows month by month somewhere, I'd assume 2 other beef animals or something are in with the milkers somehow? That's if your very pedantic and all that lol, I had a good few extra cows on the report due to culls being stuck here with tb, easy enough to just subtract them and work out the actual figures. Should end up at 455kg/cow, or 5450l here, from looking at the milk recording I got a few 3rd and 4th lac cows only doing 300-350kgms/yr, I need to be alot more ruthless culling them, and I'd be hitting 500kg/cow without too much effort. Tb at the minute absolutely won't give me the luxury of culling them this year though.

I think there's some rule saying that only the top 10% of a herd can be culled for TB.

That's how it feels anyway:(

It's probably more of an indicator of the balance between crops and animals in this part of the world. Would potato area+beet area have dropped quite a bit?

From the 70’s to the noughties we were doing fine, then things went downhill fast. The beet factories didn’t close until ‘04/‘05?
    Maybe it was the availability of cheap imported gmo maize?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

From the 70’s to the noughties we were doing fine, then things went downhill fast. The beet factories didn’t close until ‘04/‘05?

Closure of fertilizer factory in arklow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Oil imports seem to make up a lot, look at the changes in palm oil, sunflower and rapeseed oil imports.
    Soymeal doesn't seem to counted in the figures but pal kernel is and presumably distillers grains is included under maize

Happy out with the cleanout, going to get stickier from now on.
    7im7D2d.jpg

Happy out with the cleanout, going to get stickier from now on.
    7im7D2d.jpg

Feck off. Lost my welly moving the calves on today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

https://twitter.com/swimsure/status/1189984536987394050?s=21

Anyone care to shed some light on this please?.

Trying to think of changes that happened around 2000.

Celtic tiger consumption increase? The Irish diet was a lot different in the 90's. Much more highly processed foods now, much of which is being imported.

The grocery market being taken over by the large multinational companies?

Mooooo wrote: »
    Feck off. Lost my welly moving the calves on today

:P

That's an exceptional field, it's a high knob of sand with a good cover of soil on top. It's almost impossible to damage it, tbh, even though I've tried once or twice.

The bottom 6 acres are a mixture of sand and peat so that could be interesting to graze with high covers on it, about 2400 there to be taken off. I won't be posting pictures of that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

Always blown away with the number of cows in Kerry

.where the hell do they keep 'em

• Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭cute geoge

alps wrote: »

Inside most of the year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

:P

That's an exceptional field, it's a high knob of sand with a good cover of soil on top. It's almost impossible to damage it, tbh, even though I've tried once or twice.

The bottom 6 acres are a mixture of sand and peat so that could be interesting to graze with high covers on it, about 2400 there to be taken off. I won't be posting pictures of that:D

This is my equivalent. These are 2/3wks on it now. Burns up nearly every summer but fantastic on the shoulders with a ring feeder for heifers/drys

The animal welfare guide in the tweet below might be worth a read.
    https://twitter.com/FIL_IDF/status/1190569262290743296?s=19

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

A few of them could be cork cows,you wouldn't know with them kerry lads

• Advertisement

Anybody in these parts ever feed diatomaceous earth to cattle?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭roosterman71

That is very hard to understand (was it written by a child?)
    My understanding is that the beef farmer got the calves for free, and was paid X amount by the dairy farmer to raise them. Then they were sold, and the beef farmer got Y. Y is greater than X, so he made a profit which meant he had to pay X back.

That opens a few questions:
    • Why was the beef farmer selling the stock and making a profit? Maybe this isn't contract rearing at all
    • The beef farmer better have had his costs (wages, etc) included in the figure before a profit was declared

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Must be a sliding scale, ie 1000 euro contract rearing fees and slaughter price was 1100 dairy farmer gets back his 1000 euro, if slaughter price was 900, dairy farmer gets back 900 and is down 100 euro overall

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭straight

Is it true that the English have to keep their calves until 8 weeks old now. Preparing here with a new calf house and auto feeder. I think service is a very important factor with them. I've heard about people having feeders down for days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Anybody in these parts ever feed diatomaceous earth to cattle?
    Hears one man say it would help prevent liver fluke, another said hang a bag of it for scratching and it would prevent lice as it is used in poultry. I don't know...
    I saw it on Done deal, do you know where else it is available. I might try it for the luce.

Hears one man say it would help prevent liver fluke, another said hang a bag of it for scratching and it would prevent lice as it is used in poultry. I don't know...
    I saw it on Done deal, do you know where else it is available. I might try it for the luce.

I'm not sure where it's available. I was only really putting feelers out to hear people's thoughts.

I read an article about increased silica in soil boosting soil carbon and then was reading talk of multi species swards cutting back on worm burdens in cattle, which I'm convinced is because of more silica in those plants and then I've a couple of weanlings starting to cough and that brought me onto looking up about DE which some reports seem favourable online about and then it led to posting a message here. :D

I've seen some setups online of people using it in a watery solution and spraying it on cattle for lice and fly problems too.

There's other set ups for dealing with internal parasites too.
    https://www.ecofarmingdaily.com/raise-healthy-livestock/cattle/managing-parasites-livestock/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I'm not sure where it's available. I was only really putting feelers out to hear people's thoughts.

I read an article about increased silica in soil boosting soil carbon and then was reading talk of multi species swards cutting back on worm burdens in cattle, which I'm convinced is because of more silica in those plants and then I've a couple of weanlings starting to cough and that brought me onto looking up about DE which some reports seem favourable online about and then it led to posting a message here. :D

I've seen some setups online of people using it in a watery solution and spraying it on cattle for lice and fly problems too.

There's other set ups for dealing with internal parasites too.
    https://www.ecofarmingdaily.com/raise-healthy-livestock/cattle/managing-parasites-livestock/

Listened to a NZ vet with a chair bit of knowledge say that the reason the multispecies pastures have reduced worm burdens is a that the non grass leaves are less amenable to worm movement and inhibit their life cycles.

straight wrote: »
    Is it true that the English have to keep their calves until 8 weeks old now. Preparing here with a new calf house and auto feeder. I think service is a very important factor with them. I've heard about people having feeders down for days.

I think that's only one company (Arla?) atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

What are ppl paying for dry cow tubes and sealer?
    Got some tubes of cepravin from coop to try off a few early ones.
    1.80 a tube

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement