Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family of seven sleep in Garda station Mod note post one

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭blackwhite

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's still somewhat on topic due to the link with the RTE presenter supporting this leech.
    But I digress.

The problem is that people see "the rich" as "my salary + x" regardless of what your wage is. And see "the rich" as ripe for further taxation.

I've argued for some time we should scrap PAYE +PRSI as a taxation model, and replace it with an expanded USC. That way everyone contributes something.

Fully agree - but the last part is the reason why it will be opposed violently by the parties of the "Left"

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭tintin67

She has an agent at this point doesn't she ?

No doubt being lined up for the next series of Dancing With The Stars and a People of the Year Award presented to her by Miriam.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The justification? Come on , this is Ireland, you know the answer... “entitled”

I'm trying to keep alive the one spark of hope that someday - it will all be okay!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

zell12 wrote: »
    When does the reality show start?
    Cashing with the Cashes
    © Zell12

The title should be.......
    CASH or TRAVELLERS CHEQUE accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

The vibe i get is she refuses to pay them anything hence why its a month by month thing . Once she refuses to pay she will be out again

Probably....but you can bet she would be in front of cameras/microphones minutes later telling how "awful it is to have de kids on de street because de big meanies threw herus out" and it all kicks off again, articles detailing how mean and uncaring the Gov is being, calls from bleeding-hearts to offer houses or money to rent another house etc etc.

At no point will she accept "I brought this on myself through my actions..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

How long can you stay on homeless hap ? Once you are renting a place you are no longer homeless

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

98fm right now.

Sob story incoming....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Listening to other Radio 1 podcats now from yesterday and Miriam was very quick to read out the comments in support of Margaret Cash and her interview. I have only heard her read out one comment that questions the personal responsibility and where is the father etc, and Miriam's response to that was 'moving on'. Disgraceful, biased, one-sided commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Well, it's interesting because since this case came around I've been asking people what they thought about the situation, once the details about her personal status were revealed. Not simply relying on the mainstream media story for details that is.

Anyway, I've yet to hear of anyone applauding her life choices, or decision to behave this way. I have heard alot of sympathy for the children, and comments about how children don't get to choose their parents, but nothing about Cash being a hero for behaving the way she has.

Now, I get that there will be people who will support Cash in this regardless of what other people say... That's reflected quite well here on boards. Still, I was rather impressed at the lack of sympathy for Cash herself, and the belief that this kind of behavior needs to be harshly stopped to prevent others from thinking they can do the same. Preferably before people rush off to have 5+ children that they can't afford to support...

Personally, I think the media’s played a blinder here. I think Ms. Cash and her family have been used as ‘useful idiots’ to rile people up who hold a number of different perspectives and opinions with regards to who’s responsible, who’s to blame, and of course what’s to be done.

In respect of what can be done, to be perfectly honest I’d regard your opinion with a lot more consideration than some rabble rousing gobshìte who is only looking to incite people and get them incensed. Given your experience of working with travellers in education and your experience of Chinese culture and the effects of the One Child policy on their society, I’d be far more inclined to listen to that than giving a tinkers fcuk as it were how much Ms. Cash and her family are entitled to claim in benefits.

Month by month basis she was given the apartment

I would love to have someone in the council for inside info

I would guess she has been a nightmare tenant since she has been in the system. By the sounds of it she refuses to pay any rent at all and actually thinks shes entitled to a free house.

I’d still like to know if the house she was overholding at in 2015 is the same house that she had to leave due to it being repossessed in 2017 as she has said she is homeless since 2017. I don’t think they are tbh but it’s just a hunch.

If only the media would ask decent questions then we’d at least be able to see an accurate picture of her housing situation.

2015 overholding at an address. When was this address vacated?

2017 left an address (different one?) and declared homeless. If different address, when was this property moved into? How long does it take to action a repossession? Do the banks take into account a sitting tenant?

If it’s all the same address then my suspicions can be put to bed but why has nobody asked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

naughtb4 wrote: »
    There isn't a homelessness crisis, there is an entitlement crisis

I’ve been saying this for years here and everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Uncharted wrote: »
    98fm right now.

Sob story incoming....
    Helen Lovejoy hosting the show on 98fm.... somebody think of the children

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Malayalam wrote: »
    Yeah I remember my Dad who had worked since he was 14 becoming unemployed in the 80s, and the terror it caused him. There were literally no jobs to be had - the last recession (2008) didn't even deserve the name compared to then. We ate watery minced meat stews 6 days a week and the big treat was a scrawny chicken on Sundays. Our school coats were let down for several years so that there were different coloured hems and cuffs and school trips with class mates were simply out of the question. There was real privation for working class people who lost work those days. Not to moan about it because actually I had a lovely childhood generally, but it was formative for me seeing the anguish in my Dad's face every week he had to sign on, and the shame and stigma he felt. He would have been raging about the way things are now, but to be honest I cannot muster up the tiniest bit of rage. Money is wasted by and on these folks, for sure, but it's merely the steam off the piss compared to what is creamed off the top by global corporations, banking and finance, governments and elites. Bosses can earn so many multiples of what their workers earn now (https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/aug/16/ceo-versus-worker-wage-american-companies-pay-gap-study-2018 ) and this makes it impossible for me to scapegoat people who were born into situations where they had very little chance in the first place. Fcuk it, the whole system is shot to pieces. It's not worth a single unit measurement of my blood pressure.

Excellent post. Considered and empathetic. Lets call out the real villains and get off this family's back for fs

If you live in a council house and refuse to pay rent would they actually evict you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Dannyriver wrote: »
    Excellent post. Considered and empathetic. Lets call out the real villains and get off this family's back for fs
    Careful now, she's pregnant again with another wad of cash

I'd really like to know any reason to defend Ms Cash and the purely entitled whining she is displaying.

There's surely none but yet the usual suspects keep digging.

There is a absolutely nothing laudable about screwing the taxpayers out of money you never intend to contribute yourself - how can anyone respect her or support her ? It is baffling.

If you live in a council house and refuse to pay rent would they actually evict you ?

CF the situation in Cork not long back - they try but the "community" rally round - i.e. the other scroungers in the street who are months if not years behind also.

Ah but I thought it was "low" to speculate ? :D

Though clearly she is with wedge issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭omega man

Remember when Leo said he wants to lead party for ‘people who get up early in the morning’? Nothing changes in our welfare entitlement society.

Legally, yes. I’d say it’s a long drawn out process and they’d probably seek all avenues like taking a fixed amount from welfare payments first if that’s a thing.

• Advertisement

CF the situation in Cork not long back - they try but the "community" rally round - i.e. the other scroungers in the street who are months if not years behind also.

Can you not debit it directly from their welfare payments ?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

Cina wrote: »
    Honestly I'm not sure how you see that as a bad thing.

The more that you earn the more tax you pay relative to your salary. So what?

The real issue here is with people who DON'T work getting so much.

Thanks for highlighting what I have said!! If you earn more you should pay more

e.g. 20% flat tax. You earn 20k you pay 2k, you earn 100k you pay 20k. A simple tax system which is progressive but not punitive to those who have worked hard and been successful.

I don't care how far left you are this -- "Someone on 120k Earns 6.7 times the amount of a person on €18,000 and pays over 83 times the amount of tax." can't be justified or considered fair.

I'd really like to know any reason to defend Ms Cash and the purely entitled whining she is displaying.

There's surely none but yet the usual suspects keep digging.

There is a absolutely nothing laudable about screwing the taxpayers out of money you never intend to contribute yourself - how can anyone respect her or support her ? It is baffling.
    There is no reason for it, bar for others who are not middle earners that have to support these scroungers.

I’m not sure judging by those pics that’s she’s pregnant <looks at my own belly :D>.

Time will tell I guess.

Ah but I thought it was "low" to speculate ? :D

Though clearly she is with wedge issue.

She's pregnant alright, you can see the imprint of the money bag!

jjmcclure wrote: »

e.g. 20% flat tax. You earn 20k you pay 2k, you earn 100k you pay 20k. A simple tax system which is progressive but not punitive to those who have worked hard and been successful.

I don't care how far left you are this -- "Someone on 120k Earns 6.7 times the amount of a person on €18,000 and pays over 83 times the amount of tax." can't be justified or considered fair.

+1million
    My kingdom for a party who can get this implemented

I’m not sure judging by those pics that’s she’s pregnant <looks at my own belly :D>.

Time will tell I guess.

Statistically she has spent approximately 20% of her entire life pregnant.
    If you include only from age 16 onwards it's close to 50%. 5.25 years in total.

Ah buy you can when you twist things so evil high earners are the enemy of the people, or whatever guff they come out with.

Tax free amount - say whatever the dole is x 2. After that 30% flat. If you've a private pension and private insurance - exempt from PRSI.

Welfare over a certain amount after bills paid ? Cough up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Do you want the low income earners to pay more tax or just high earners to pay less?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

DCC has rent arrears of 50 million so no.

• Advertisement

Do you want the low income earners to pay more tax or just high earners to pay less?

I want everyone to pay a proportion of their income in tax. The same proportion.
    That follows the "those who earn more, pay more" principle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement