Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family of seven sleep in Garda station Mod note post one

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

jjmcclure wrote: »
    Just to highlight who pays for these people who won't work and are entitled to everything and to highlight my point on taxation earlier (everyone should pay something).

A worker on €120,000:
    Earns 6.7 times the amount of a person on €18,000 and pays over 83 times the amount of tax.
    Earns almost 4.8 times the salary of a person on €25,000 but pays 14.8 times the tax.
    Earns almost 3.4 times the salary of a person on €35,000 but pays 7.6 times the tax.

A worker on 18k pays just over €500 in tax
    And still you'll see the voices from the left: "tax the richest!"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Now with all the rules and regs regarding renting and RTB and so on, has anyone EVER heard of a trial run of a week and month to month thereafter?

Someone is watching to see how this pans out.

But I suppose within the first six months no reason need be given for eviction. I think...

And then we are on the roundabout again. Could be Pearse Street, Store Street, Fitzgibbon Street or a myriad of others that could have some overnight visitors soon!

To the barricades!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I wonder how her new life will be in new apartment? How will it work out for her? For the children's sake I hope it works out well. How does she bring her kids to school? She has a hard life ahead of her. Does apartment have shared yard space as six or seven kids in an apartment without outside access is a recipe for disaster. Very little reference throughout to any assistance from family members?

Her new neighbours will be monitoring things I would imagine. And reports on how her new life is getting on will be more available than if she were ensconced in a halting site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

jjmcclure wrote: »
    Just to highlight who pays for these people who won't work and are entitled to everything and to highlight my point on taxation earlier (everyone should pay something).

A worker on €120,000:
    Earns 6.7 times the amount of a person on €18,000 and pays over 83 times the amount of tax.
    Earns almost 4.8 times the salary of a person on €25,000 but pays 14.8 times the tax.
    Earns almost 3.4 times the salary of a person on €35,000 but pays 7.6 times the tax.

A worker on 18k pays just over €500 in tax
    Honestly I'm not sure how you see that as a bad thing.

The more that you earn the more tax you pay relative to your salary. So what?

The real issue here is with people who DON'T work getting so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

na1 wrote: »
    And still you'll see the voices from the left: "tax the richest!"

Tax everyone relative to their income simple. If you earn over a 100k then you should pay more tax. And while you re at it sort out the corporations who dodge tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

bobbyss wrote: »
    I wonder how her new life will be in new apartment? How will it work out for her? For the children's sake I hope it works out well. How does she bring her kids to school? She has a hard life ahead of her. Does apartment have shared yard space as six or seven kids in an apartment without outside access is a recipe for disaster. Very little reference throughout to any assistance from family members?

Her new neighbours will be monitoring things I would imagine. And reports on how her new life is getting on will be more available than if she were ensconced in a halting site.

Same issues for those paying through the nose for either a mortgage or rent really. Don't see why it is any different for this person just because she subjected her childer to a night in the Station.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

She spent the last few days driving around looking for bordered up Council owned houses. Trying to pick and choose where to live before she was offered the apartment.

She spent the last few days driving around looking for bordered up Council owned houses. Trying to pick and choose where to live before she was offered the apartment.

The apartment is only on trial for a week then month by month. https://soundcloud.com/rte-radio-1/margaret-cash Had to chuckle at her calling Miriam “Luv”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Someone up thread remarked that this lady has been given a three bed apt in the City Centre, but does not work.

I totally agree that prime city centre properties like this should be prioritised towards those who are on HAP and working.

There is no need for those who are not working in the city to actually live there. Bit of a bugbear of mine, apologies.

Whilst I agree she is a leech and should be booted up the hole down to the nearest Fás office, I don’t think people from the city who genuinely are in need of housing on JSA, DA, SPC/NC etc should not be gentrified out of the areas they’ve grown up in. What people need to remember is Ms Cash is part of a small minority of spongers. People who are genuinely in need of housing and benefits are the ones who tend to come bottom of the list or get feck all.

I stopped donating to the St. Vincent De Paul in Thurles when a woman here in Borrisoleigh who lives a similar lifestyle to Ms Cash (5 children, 34 and never had a job) got over €100 in vouchers for the local Centra and 3x bags of foods which she subsequently dumped at the bottle bank and another neighbour on reduced JSA (€100) who seasonally works on farms here got only 4 cans of Homestead beans and 2 boxes of out of date cornflakes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

I think two things we can all agree on surely is that benefit rates are too generous and that no one who has never worked should receive that kind of money?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

I think two things we can all agree on surely is that benefit rates are too generous and that no one who has never worked should receive that kind of money?

100% correct.

Remember however, the last government to actually reduce welfare payments and wreck the country are still in opposition.

King Leo and Prince Simon are trying to put the country back down the same road using different methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

A three bedroom apartment in the City Centre? Really? With no job or security. What about thousands of apartment dwellers who have to commute 1hr into the City Centre to fund her lavish 'entitlements'?

But it's only on a trial basis .

By the sounds of it they don't expect her to last ,I reckon we will be hearing about an eviction for antisocial behaviour and how it's not fair in the next few weeks or months.

And then she will ask where her house is

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

There are some groups not receiving enough welfare ie carers. So I stop short at saying welfare should be cut for all.

I personally have availed of welfare and was very grateful for it so I'm not against single mothers or people on the dole, I just believe it should be used wisely. I'd have no problem increasing welfare so a single parent could pay for childcare while they go back to college for example or to allow a carer to adapt their home to their loved ones needs but handing out money to people who sit on their arse with no desire to better themselves has to stop.

If you are Raising 7 kids you are working.

Dannyriver wrote: »
    Tax everyone relative to their income simple. If you earn over a 100k then you should pay more tax.
    How much (%-wise) do you think the person on 100k should pay?

Would you support the proposal from French authorities to tax the incomes over 1 million at 75%?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭22michael44

Cina wrote: »
    No.

Raising children is a privelige most people want and many cannot either do so now or have more than 1 or 2 children because they can't afford to not work or send them all to child-care whilst they are at work. For most, having children is a calculated, conscious life decision that cannot be taken lightly.

For Ms. Cash? Well, why not stop having them when you don't have a job and the Government and just going to give you more money the more you have anyway?

If you think having children is work then please don't ever have children.

I've heard loads of perfectly good parents - mothers, fathers - saying that parenting is massively hard work. that's a bit of a silly statement you've made.

na1 wrote: »
    How much (%-wise) do you think the person on 100k should pay?

Would you support the proposal from French authorities to tax the incomes over 1 million at 75%?

I woudn t spend a whole lot of time concerning myself about the financial difficulties of anyone earning over a million P/A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

well according to people in this thread the gov are a bunch of bleeding-heart lefties.

Well we all know Fine Gael are commie liberals.

As we draw closer to the budget, we'll see the same people lamenting the treatment of the poor working man and pining for a far-right government, throw the working class under the bus.

People on low income, people who pay little or no income tax, will be attacked in a similar way to Margaret Cash. Like clockwork, just before the budget, from the same people, every single year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

100% correct.

Remember however, the last government to actually reduce welfare payments and wreck the country are still in opposition.

King Leo and Prince Simon are trying to put the country back down the same road using different methods.
    The cuts to the benefits were minuscule given the crisis we faced ! They are lucky there weren’t actually serious cuts or “hard decisions “ to be made. Imagine we were kicked out if the market and the troika did Ireland the favor the should have done us. Ie tell us no money without radical reform ...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Yeah in the sense that Full Time Mammy and Full Time Mad Bastard on Facebook is working. Get a grip. She's never contributed to society once, just taken. I'd question your definition of ''raising'' by the way, having sprogs you can't afford when you're jobless and apparently homeless wouldn't instill me with confidence though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I'd warrant some bright spark councillor or TD put in a word to bend the rules for this wan.

Fianna Fail and Fine Gael are in it for their own. They feed the housing crisis and only throw the odd bone to the lowly tax payer. The odd wan making the news in neither here nor there. I thought Leo was organising things for people who like to get up early or some sh*te? Did he fail on his dole scrounger witch hunt? As ever he's about optics and socks. Waster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

100% correct.

There are in opposition for a number of reasons, but cutting Welfare is not one of them.
    This is an open goal for FG. Cut social welfare for longterm lifetime dolers. Keep repeating the line that we are doing it to make working pay. We want to help the hard working people who get up early in the morning. We want more taxes to go services like health and childcare, rather than the bloated welfare. Yes they will get negative media reports but the media have shown their true colours when reporting on this Cash case. I have no doubt this would gain FG votes rather than lose them votes.
    Imagine a young guard that was in that tallaght station last week. He is on under 30k a year, probably finding it impossible to buy a house in Dublin, yet here is a woman who is getting 50k tax free a year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Using someones appearance for point scoring is low.

I wasn't point scoring. I know if you ask someone in real life if they're pregnant, it could create an awkward couple of minutes if they're not, but I didn't think I'd upset someone on here by saying that. I didn't say it to take the p*ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Just read on Rté News it’s not a local authority apartment :D it’s rented by a letting agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

There is so much more to that story than what the media are reporting.
    The Cash family are long established members of the traveler community and so are difficult to house as they only want to live near their family unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Wheety wrote: »
    I wasn't point scoring. I know if you ask someone in real life if they're pregnant, it could create an awkward couple of minutes if they're not, but I didn't think I'd upset someone on here by saying that. I didn't say it to take the p*ss.

I've seen the pic and you're right, from the side she does look pregnant. She's quite slim and it does look quite like a bump.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Yeah in the sense that Full Time Mammy and Full Time Mad Bastard on Facebook is working. Get a grip. She's never contributed to society once, just taken. I'd question your definition of ''raising'' by the way, having sprogs you can't afford when you're jobless and apparently homeless wouldn't instill me with confidence though.

I'd question your right to judge her and her kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,092 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I've heard loads of perfectly good parents - mothers, fathers - saying that parenting is massively hard work. that's a bit of a silly statement you've made.

Yes it is if you do it right and rear kids to be productive and self sufficient .,Parenting takes time and patience if you want to see a mature , independent , tax paying hard working child

I woudn t spend a whole lot of time concerning myself about the financial difficulties of anyone earning over a million P/A
    Would you concern about financial and personal life difficulties the person had to overcome before he/she end up with 1,000,000 income?

In most cases it's a life choices:
    one person studies hard, works nights & weekends, do an internship while working etc
    another person has parties, drinks, living a careless live.
    And then you would say: tax the first person because he/she already rich and could afford 75% tax. And give that money to the second person because he/she is in financial difficulties and requires a state support.

• Advertisement

Hardly. If you're in a relationship where you're raising the 7 children, while your husband (or reverse the genders) is working to provide the income required... then she is working.

If you're long-term unemployed (and not seeking employment), with 7 children, single, ... then you're twisting the system to your own benefit. That's not working. That kind of behavior should be stamped out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement