Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family of seven sleep in Garda station Mod note post one

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Month by month basis she was given the apartment

I would love to have someone in the council for inside info

I would guess she has been a nightmare tenant since she has been in the system. By the sounds of it she refuses to pay any rent at all and actually thinks shes entitled to a free house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Month by month basis she was given the apartment

I would love to have someone in the council for inside info

I would guess she has been a nightmare tenant since she has been in the system. By the sounds of it she refuses to pay any rent at all and actually thinks shes entitled to a free house.

As mentioned earlier she's refused places before as HAP "didn't cover all the rent". I beleive the max HAP in her circumstances is 1175 or thereabouts ? That's a good grand a month less than the cheapest 3 bed in the City Centre on Daft.ie.

So add 12k to the insane figure she is getting.

What the f*** does she spend that wedge on ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

As mentioned earlier she's refused places before as HAP "didn't cover all the rent". I beleive the max HAP in her circumstances is 1175 or thereabouts ? That's a good grand a month less than the cheapest 3 bed in the City Centre on Daft.ie.

So add 12k to the insane figure she is getting.

What the f*** does she spend that wedge on ????

No HAP will pay 1600 a month but are allowed offer more with discretion.

I know a family receiving 1900 a month in HAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I would guess the council would charge her close to €600 a month rent based on her income

The vibe i get is she refuses to pay them anything hence why its a month by month thing . Once she refuses to pay she will be out again

She has some cheek ha

Is it based on contributions at all ? Sorry not familiar with the details of the system

• Advertisement

Is it based on contributions at all ? Sorry not familiar with the details of the system

No

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Do they ? I stand corrected if so but seems unlikely as they're not PAYE.

Edit - I withdraw that - I had no idea, and thank you to the posters for the correct information.
    blackwhite wrote: »
    Everyone who is subject to income tax is also subject to PRSI and USC.
    They just pay it after the end of the year in one lump some (and they can get shafted for higher rates of USC if they are non-PAYE).
    Important to note that the pay USC/PRSI/PAYE tax only on income withdrawn from the limited company.
    Money not taken as salary and left in the company account is not subject to personal taxation.

They pay the same taxes on any money that they draw down for personal use.

The difference is that they aren't employed by RTE, they will have a fixed term contract for services, and are free to do other work in the meantime, but they end up not having any of the protections of employment law.

Any individual can try and do the same so long as they aren't employed full time with regular hours that prevent them taking other work. Switch to contracting instead of taking permanent employment, and then set up a Ltd company to do your work through.

Our HR manager at work does this. She does 2-3 days a week with us (depending on needs,etc), and does other projects/clients on the other days of the week.
    It's actually easier for companies to have contractors than PAYE employees from a taxation and cost point of view. Contractors have much less rights.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Important to note that the pay USC/PRSI/PAYE tax only on income withdrawn from the limited company.
    Money not taken as salary and left in the company account is not subject to personal taxation.

Yeah but what can you do with it while it sits there?

Nothing.

No

So, in theory the fragrant Ms Cash and the others salivating at the thought of emulating her can give given nearly 24 grand a year JUST for housing ?

And we can slagged off for sneering! If anything we're not sneering enough!

Cheers Wheels!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

No one has a problem with the children. It's the Mother for having so many with no way of supporting them. I saw on her FB page that a friend who's description is "Full time cook cleaner shrink and in general slave of 9 little monkeys" is also looking for a house.

If both sets of children have a need to be housed when they're older, that's another 16 houses to find. If those 16 children have a few of their own, where will it end? They might not all need to be housed, but you'd have to expect some of the children to follow their parent's example.

Working people tend to have smaller families. Who's going to pay for Social Welfare/Housing in future?

It's true what they say, the older you get, the more right wing you become. I think that's because you see cases like this, and Margaret Cash isn't the only one, and you think what's the point in going to work? We all know of people who see it as a lifestyle choice. I knew of a 'single' Mother who had 3 children and a few years ago was receiving €900 a month towards her rent. Don't know what she would be getting now.

Will they increase tax on workers to pay for the Social Welfare bill? Ok so it hasn't really grown, it's currently around €20bn. But it has not really decreased over the years despite being nearly at full employment. That's staggering for a country of 5m.

I didn't meant to type out so much and some of it is off topic but seriously what's the long term solution? No one wants to see kids sleeping rough. But do you draw a line somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Stop buying print media for a start, hit them where it hurts, their pockets. They are complicit in every failure of this state!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Just wondering which Garda station would be the best to book into tonight. Tallaght is nicely served by McDonald's but itcan become crowded. Maybe Dun Laoire? Miriam might invite the kids up for a pyjama party and we could discuss contraception methods

I would guess the council would charge her close to €600 a month rent based on her income

The vibe i get is she refuses to pay them anything hence why its a month by month thing . Once she refuses to pay she will be out again

She has some cheek ha
    month by month is a good idea in that case. The thief will have no sympathy if she doesn’t pay the rent this time around and she’s in the spot light ...

Yeah but what can you do with it while it sits there?

Nothing.
    Company expenses.
    Company can invest in shares/property etc.
    Company can accumulate wealth in a number of ways as a pension pot which is subject to lesser taxation
    A real world example: Company can buy an expensive Tesla, pay 100k from company funds (instead of 100k from personal funds which would require you to earn 200k gross) and give it to the employee, and as BIK is 0 on EVs that's a saving for the employee of 100k.

There's a lot that you can do with money in company accounts.
    Of course, if the money is going to a company and not being used and going straight out again, you're paying 12.5% corporate tax and then 52% personal tax so it's not always advantageous. Consult a tax accountant for further details - I've been warned in the past about giving legal advice so apologies mods if this crosses the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,395 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Isn't this apartment "month by month" emergency accommodation?
    Either way, she'll only have to pay ~€30pw from her €1000pw tax-free income.

Edgware wrote: »
    Just wondering which Garda station would be the best to book into tonight. Tallaght is nicely served by McDonald's but itcan become crowded. Maybe Dun Laoire? Miriam might invite the kids up for a pyjama party and we could discuss contraception methods

Never going to happen as if Meath is too far then Laios may as well be the Moon - but Portlaoise Garda Station is in a very picturesque area, with views of the Slieve Bloom mountain! Circle K next door and a Eddie Rockets 2 mins away!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

It just gets better!

Margaret Cash is on 98fm in the next few minutes to explain how 'happy' she is with her new house,but how she's not content with it because it's not a 'permanent' house.

More gently gently media crap no doubt. Ffs!

Uncharted wrote: »
    It just gets better!

Margaret Cash is on 98fm in the next few minutes to explain how 'happy' she is with her new house,but how she's not content with it because it's not a 'permanent' house.

More gently gently media crap no doubt. Ffs!

She has an agent at this point doesn't she ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭blackwhite

That’s not 100% correct. Any money from the company used to pay for personal expenses is considered BIK and is taxed the same as salary.

Money left in the business, or reinvested in the business isn’t available for any personal use, unless they pay the various income taxes first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,395 ✭✭✭✭zell12

When does the reality show start?
    Cashing with the Cashes
    © Zell12

That’s not 100% correct. Any money from the company used to pay for personal expenses is considered BIK and is taxed the same as salary.
    I never said it was, I specified "company expenses".:confused:
    Money left in the business, or reinvested in the business isn’t available for any personal use, unless they pay the various income taxes first
    I already stated this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I never said it was, I specified "company expenses".:confused:

I already stated this.

Not in the post I was replying to you didn’t, that one only mentioned salary

Anyway - getting way off topic here

Not in the post I was replying to you didn’t, that one only mentioned salary

Anyway - getting way off topic here
    It's still somewhat on topic due to the link with the RTE presenter supporting this leech.
    But I digress.

The problem is that people see "the rich" as "my salary + x" regardless of what your wage is. And see "the rich" as ripe for further taxation.

I've argued for some time we should scrap PAYE +PRSI as a taxation model, and replace it with an expanded USC. That way everyone contributes something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

Homeless HAP is more than the standard published rates. A single parent with one child will receive €1900 per month. According to the times the max paid out so far to a family has been €2,800 per month.

zell12 wrote: »
    Cashing with the Cashes
    © Zell12
    I'd expect someone to cash in on that idea.
    It will travel far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

zell12 wrote: »
    Cashing with the Cashes
    © Zell12

More like:

Free Cash

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

There isn't a homelessness crisis, there is an entitlement crisis

karenalot wrote: »
    Homeless HAP is more than the standard published rates. A single parent with one child will receive €1900 per month. According to the times the max paid out so far to a family has been €2,800 per month.

That's a few hundred more than I take home!

I would dearly love the see the justification for that.

• Advertisement

That's a few hundred more than I take home!

I would dearly love the see the justification for that.

The justification? Come on , this is Ireland, you know the answer... “entitled”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement