Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeland Season 8 **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

lukin wrote: »
    Interesting (and tragic) fact: Nimrat Kaur, the Indian actress playing Tasneem; her real life father was kidnapped and killed in Kashmir by terrorists backed by ISI, and she's playing an ISI agent in Homeland.

knew that she was Indian alright but didn't know that.

she is dating the Indian cricket coach who is over 20 years older than her - he's for sure "batting above his average" to pick the appropriate version of the more common "punching above his weight"

ravi-shastri.jpeg

Nice to see Art Malik in the latest episode,I saw him in Sligo about 3 years ago when he was filming Halal Daddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭lukin

glasso wrote: »
    knew that she was Indian alright but didn't know that.

she is dating the Indian cricket coach who is over 20 years older than her - he's for sure "batting above his average" to pick the appropriate version of the more common "punching above his weight"

ravi-shastri.jpeg

He probably has a great personality :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭De Bhál

good to have this back - I need to look up some recaps, bit lost in places.

That helicopter is getting a nice bit of screen time, must've cost a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

Really enjoying this season. There aren't too many shows that can maintain a pretty good level of quality on an eighth season, in fact some of the later seasons are better than the earlier ones. I remember at the time thinking "how can they go on without Brody", but it's been better since then.

First season still untouchable though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭moby2101

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/02/29/politics/us-taliban-deal-signing/index.html
    Carrie and co preempt another story!!!

Uncanny or incredibly sourced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

moby2101 wrote: »
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/02/29/politics/us-taliban-deal-signing/index.html

...and now this - BBC: Afghan president rejects Taliban prisoner release

Uncanny indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

4: One of the BEST episodes of Homeland!
    I thought they put money into the show with ONE helicopter! Well.. this episode! That airbase scene!

That
    was intense! The whole episode it felt like something was up. So many times though the explained why it felt so tense: Oh the President is coming, oh the base is so dangerous, oh it's just Max staying at the base, oh it's Carrie rescueing Samira.
    Beau Bridges did great with the speech as President Warner!

I
    don't know what happened to the helicopter. Doesn't feel right that the Taliban would've done it after all this. Could be another element of the Russians that Yevgeny may not know about.
    As the episode started with a reminder of the suspicion of Carrie.. then Warner told her his plans.. then she split off from the motercade.. I'm guessing suspicion with fall onto her.

Standman wrote: »
    moby2101 wrote: »

...and now this - BBC: Afghan president rejects Taliban prisoner release

Uncanny indeed!

I was thinking similar back in August when they delayed airing:
    Slydice wrote: »
    Trying to line up with real world events maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

has a president flown to forward operating base? you think they wait till word of the ceasefire had spread through out all fighters?

Holy Fook -

I had said that they would up the ante with a turn of events but that takes the biscuit.

All "a bit" preposterous but sure it's gonna be a fun ride from here on in.

• Advertisement

As the episode started with a reminder of the suspicion of Carrie.. then Warner told her his plans.. then she split off from the motercade.. I'm guessing suspicion with fall onto her.

that doesn't make any sense.

that doesn't make any sense.

We'll see.

We'll see.

she had another cia woman and and a driver with her they are witnesses to the fact that she was saving the woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

those taliban guys will attack the cia post

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Why are the ISI against the ceasefire?

MICKEYG wrote: »
    Why are the ISI against the ceasefire?

they want someone fighting the americans and if they can control that faction then all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

they want someone fighting the americans and if they can control that faction then all the better.

Thanks but still confused. Why do they want someone fighting the Americans? What is in it for them?

MICKEYG wrote: »
    Thanks but still confused. Why do they want someone fighting the Americans? What is in it for them?

Instability in the region gives them some power by controlling the faction. They are weaker than the Americans in tech (eg drones) and military and resent the drone activity on their land but this gives them some control against them as the us military remains tied up in the region.

This is the way that it's presented in the show and going back to season 4. No idea what the reality is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think the Mujahideen that the CIA financed and armed when the Soviets were in Afghanistan, became the Taliban after the Soviets left, and that the organisation expanded considerably thanks to being bankrolled by the Pakistanis.

I suppose Pakistan wants to control Afghanistan through the Taliban, but is having trouble controlling the Taliban first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think the Mujahideen that the CIA financed and armed when the Soviets were in Afghanistan, became the Taliban after the Soviets left, and that the organisation expanded considerably thanks to being bankrolled by the Pakistanis.

I suppose Pakistan wants to control Afghanistan through the Taliban, but is having trouble controlling the Taliban first.

A major concern from the Pakistani viewpoint is the role of Afghanistan in any potential conflict involving Pakistan and India. If you're bored you could burn a few hours reading about it. In particular obsession with "strategic depth".

• Advertisement

Yes Pakistan definitely would be "interested" in a Afghanistan from that perspective for sure.

In the context of Homeland as a TV show the ISI have resented the Americans and the CIA and facilitated the slaughter at the American embassy in Pakistan at the end of season 4.

So what is the real story of what is going on now after this episode 4.... Surely the Russians have to be involved as it would be too much of a red herring to have the Yvevgeny guy have so much focus in the first few episodes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Really enjoyed that episode, as already said, it had great tension right to the end. I do think it was a bit preposterous
    (not alone to send the POTUS to such a dangerous outpost but to then send a live stream of it to all networks while he is actually there)
    but it made for a great show.
    I agree that the suspicion will fall on Carrie now - who is to say they won't make out that the other woman is in on it with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Very good episode, setting the stage nicely. As mentioned before, amazing how contemporary it seems.

episode 5.

it's all nuts just about staying over the line where you can take it seriously.

another complete cliffhanger now with the answers to things in the balance....
    at the moment you'd have to suspect the chief of staff guy at the white house of being involved - he's way too over-eager on things... maybe that is a red herring tho? and what about the Russians?

Very good episode, setting the stage nicely. As mentioned before, amazing how contemporary it seems.

that has been the case for all seasons from season 4 on.

the writers have always tapped into current events and integrated that into the plots.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is Carrie Mathison the most stressed out character in the history of TV drama?? ya i know she has a stressful job...but does she ever smile?

fryup wrote: »
    is Carrie Mathison the most stressed out character in the history of TV drama?? ya i know she has a stressful job...but does she ever smile?

ah come on there wasn't much opportunity for humour in that episode.

she did crack a smile when she was in the bar there a couple of episodes ago joking how she had reformed her ways from being a boozy floozy slapper.

those were the days huh, out on the tiles, get the ride. back home, a quick wipe of the vage and straight back into work.

she wouldn't be able for it any more as she said herself

https://imgur.com/Mov9o8C

5: That was intense! Another top episode!

I was going mad about
    how long it was taking another team to get out there and help them... and no A-10s!!! I dunno. I'd have had everything out and about for that mission!

Guessing that the rest of the season will
    revolve around what happens to Max and Haqqani while suspicions fall on Carrie and her involvement with the Russians.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ah come on there wasn't much opportunity for humour in that episode.

in every episode
    those were the days huh, out on the tiles, get the ride. back home, a quick wipe of the vage and straight back into work.
    https://imgur.com/Mov9o8C

what is seen cannot be unseen :o (just before dinner too)

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    in every episode

what is seen cannot be unseen :o (just before dinner too)

you can just see the episode director - "yes, I want to see a vigorous wiping motion"

Advertisement