Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slut shaming men is fine but don't dare do it to a woman.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

I remember some savage flut shaming around here. All the lad wanted was to lay some cable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

So this story popped up online last night and it's in the Indo today. A guy wants a bit on the side gets on tinder.

https://m.independent.ie/entertainment/banter/trending/married-dublin-man-looking-for-an-affair-on-tinder-caught-with-shirtless-snap-with-moses-basket-in-the-background-37169762.html

Now this is being shared around and its obvious that the women involved want this man's wife or friends of her to see the pic so he's caught red handed.

No, I don't think he's the nicest guy in the world but this kind of witch hunt would not be tolerated if the genders were reversed. We see cucked men online being portrayed as modern partners to their wives. So why if a man does it is this allowed. The Indo publishing the pic was a real dick move. Naturally the story was written by a woman.

WTF is a Moses basket?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

In fairness, there is a moses basket, which means kid is under 12 weeks, doubt any mother would leave a kid under 12 weeks for enough time for him to get his bit.

This is a PR stunt by Tinder

It could be there because they're putting it on eBay.

For Sale. Moses basket. Never used.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

WTF is a Moses basket?

Tis where the baby sleeps

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Pretty scummy of him. Kids or no kids. If you're not happy then leave.

Dirty lookin' eejit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

wonder if independent is having some campaign on "cheating" - or would some of their editors be in couples therapy these days

https://www.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-features/holly-carpenter-my-heart-breaks-for-una-healy-if-cheating-rumours-are-true-women-who-get-with-married-men-as-bad-as-cheats-37182131.html

now this Holly - I don't know anything about what she achieved in her life - thinking she may be one of the "influencers" on social media ...
    but the content of the article, and her outfit in the picture attached contradict each other ... as glancing over her words, she sounds so puritan ?!?

PS: couldn't read the entire article because of that :P

mvl wrote:
    now this Holly - I don't know anything about what she achieved in her life - thinking she may be one of the "influencers" on social media ... but the content of the article, and her outfit in the picture attached contradict each other ... as glancing over her words, she sounds so puritan ?!?

She's a model. Isn't she entitled to an opinion? Or are we stuck in the 50's where she shouldn't have an option?

of course she is: thats an opinion not worth my time !

PS: didn't know that was the reason these two separated until she had a big mouth and said it in this story, while bravely showing what she wears at the races ;)

mvl wrote:

Are you for real? You decide because of how she is dressed in a photo that her opinion is irrelevant? Wow what a small mind would come up with that

I read the newspaper article again. You do know that she criticised both men and women. Both are pigs if they cheat.

What exactly is your objection?

• Advertisement

i can give feedback, so that's why i posted it here: that article is miserable in my view.

Sleeper12 wrote:
    She's a model. Isn't she entitled to an opinion? Or are we stuck in the 50's where she shouldn't have an option?

mvl wrote:

Can't you see how moranic that is?

Have you actually read this article that you linked? She clearly said that both male and female are pigs. In fact women are worse.

You linked an article that I don't believe you understand but what exactly has she said that is wrong?

Instead of linking an entire article & sagging it off can you break down or explain exactly what part offends you?

mvl wrote:
    i can give feedback, so that's why i posted it here: that article is miserable in my view.

How? Why? All of it? Some of it?

A sweeping rejection of an article does not explain much

it appears to me she is using a situation to her own advantage in a way: she's not sure of it, cause she has it in the title "if rumours are true" - wtf, you ARE spreading rumours missy.

mvl wrote:
    it appears to me she is using a situation to her own advantage in a way: she's not sure of it, cause she has it in the title "if rumours are true" - wtf, you ARE spreading rumours missy.

You really don't want kn what you are talking about, do you.

Read the a again. She knows these people personally.

Also please explain how she is dressed adds or takes away from your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

That's one the worst written articles I read in a long time.

meeeeh wrote:
    That's the worst written article I read in a long time.

OK. That's your opinion & I respect that. Why would you post that link on a thread where someone seems to want to cheat on his wife after having a new baby & the moron gets his new baby's moses basket in the photo.

Have you read this thread?

Your link has nothing to do with the thread

Really???

cause both links are about cheating related stories on independent ?!?

and we know where the discussion is on this: some are more conservative than others on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    OK. That's your opinion & I respect that. Why would you post that link on a thread where someone seems to want to cheat on his wife after having a new baby & the moron gets his new baby's moses basket in the photo.

Have you read this thread?

Your link has nothing to do with the thread

Really???

Huh???? What exactly are you on about? What did I post?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I really, really, really hate that the phrase "slut shaming" is a blanket term for shaming the promiscuous and shaming the unfaithful. They're totally separate issues IMO. The former doesn't involve hurting anyone, the latter most certainly does. Shaming single people with no commitments for choosing to sleep around and ride seven different people in a night is scummy for sure, but shaming someone who betrays an emotional agreement they made with another person, knowing that that person would be hurt by such a betrayal, is totally different and personally I'd have no problem with it.

Being promiscuous is a victimless action. Cheating on somebody and breaking their heart is not. A "slut" is a term for the former, but a "cheat" is the term for the latter. Totally different ball game.

• Advertisement

mvl wrote:
    cause both links are about cheating related stories on independent ?!?

So we have now established that you haven't read the thread. The title is slut shaming men but don't dare do it to a woman. How does your link refer to this in any way?

You do realise that Holly Carpenter is a gossip columnist and not a real news colum?

meeeeh wrote:
    Huh???? What exactly are you on about? What did I post?

My mistake. I'd meant to link to mvl and not you. Sorry

I really, really, really hate that the phrase "slut shaming" is a blanket term for shaming the promiscuous and shaming the unfaithful. They're totally separate issues IMO. The former doesn't involve hurting anyone, the latter most certainly does. Shaming single people with no commitments for choosing to sleep around and ride seven different people in a night is scummy for sure, but shaming someone who betrays an emotional agreement they made with another person, knowing that that person would be hurt by such a betrayal, is totally different and personally I'd have no problem with it.

So do I but we are limited to the thread title

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

So do I but we are limited to the thread title

But even the thread title itself is misleading. The article question isn't "slut shaming" anyone, it's mocking and shaming someone for lying and cheating to their partner. Totally fair game for either gender IMO. Slut shaming, on the other hand, shouldn't be fair game for anyone.

So we have now established that you haven't read the thread. The title is slut shaming men but don't dare do it to a woman. How does your link refer to this in any way?

You do realise that Holly Carpenter is a gossip columnist and not a real news colum?

Well, you can get to this conclusion if you take any thread slogan too literal.
    Which I don't, and maybe this is a mistake.

Actually I was contemplating if I should start a new thread, but then I thought - ahh - why bother creating another AH thread about cheating stories on independent.ie, we have a recent one here. But would create new thread next time, cause maybe this was not a great example.

I don't know who HC is. her story sounded way too conservative to me for her age; but ... having the particular dress code like in the picture suggests to me all married men in a room would check her out (so is that also cheating, according to her standards, or not).

But even the thread title itself is misleading. The article question isn't "slut shaming" anyone, it's mocking and shaming someone for lying and cheating to their partner. Totally fair game for either gender IMO. Slut shaming, on the other hand, shouldn't be fair game for anyone.

Title thread is nothing more than click bait

What people don't get is that his photo wasn't shared around social media because he wanted to cheat on his wife. It was shared because he was so stupid for leaving the Moses basket in the photo.

If we wanted to "Slut shame" we could post many photos of men & women from the likes of Tinder. That's not why it was shared. That's not why it was in several newspapers. It was there because he was so stupid that it was funny.

Why some men need to fall over themselves being offended by someone sharing the photo is beyond me. It's nothing more than a funny photo & deserves to be on one of those ultimate fails videos on YouTube. I've seen many a photo of men & women from Tinder shared because their bedroom is like a pig sty. Again they are posted because the person in the photo is stupid

mvl wrote: »
    Well, you can get to this conclusion if you take any thread slogan too literal.
    Which I don't, and maybe this is a mistake.

Actually I was contemplating if I should start a new thread, but then I thought - ahh - why bother creating another AH thread about cheating stories on independent.ie, we have a recent one here. But would create new thread next time, cause maybe this was not a great example.

I don't know who HC is. her story sounded way too conservative to me for her age; but ... having the particular dress code like in the picture suggests to me all married men in a room would check her out (so is that also cheating, according to her standards, or not).

You seem to be hung up on her clothing. She is a model (quite a famous one at that) & models tend to wear clothing like that. I was at a wedding last week & many of the female guests were dressed like that. It seems to be fashionable. You would have seen Kathy French wear the same type of clothes. It goes with the job

Holly Carpenter is an Irish model and beauty pageant titleholder who was crowned Miss Ireland 2011 on 13 August 2011. She represented Ireland in the Miss World 2011 pageant held on 6 November 2011 in London, England

Wow, that explains why she writes like that perfectly ... cause her job is in a different business !

But still, on the two independent stories on cheating ... listing some similarities
    (for laugh)

Even if one husband is a commoner, and the other is a VIP, we have:
    - A married couple with kids, faced with a cheating drama that should be private
    - People make assumptions about the infidelity, so the wife is a victim
    - The husband gets the blame for things we don't know for sure he committed
    - Bottom line, we can see some Girl Code smell/behaviour with the article author, or other ladies on social media quoting the author.
    Summary: both lady authors are taking side of the victim, and shaming the cheater, who is a man. But we haven't seen the same authors taking sides if the situation was reversed, have we ?
    so here is your link to the thread title ?!?

To conclude, may I add a bit more info about a qualified view on infidelity (view that I concur with): there is this serious talk with Esther Perel I think worth the time to listen, if interested on the subject.
    https://www.ted.com/talks/esther_perel_rethinking_infidelity_a_talk_for_anyone_who_has_ever_loved#t-1268386

There is some valid and contemporary advice there I would pass on to all wifes or husbands that have experienced infidelity, including Una ...

mvl wrote:
    Wow, that explains why she writes like that perfectly ... cause her job is in a different business !

I read it a few times and felt it would have been better if she was interviewed & they extracted the story that way. Not intending to knock her but she's not a good writer/journalist imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Ah let them away with it. Monogamy is not natural.

Advertisement