Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

is it though? number one rb and wr gone, big ben isnt getting any healthier or younger

True Ben ain’t getting any younger, but as long as he is there they have a shot, when he goes there could will be a barren spell for the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

is it though? number one rb and wr gone, big ben isnt getting any healthier or younger

They would need to have a good draft and FA but there are still a lot of good players there. Superbowl window is probably closed for them but no reason they can’t make the playoffs and take it from there. There is nothing too hectic in their division unless the browns cut loose with all these young guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Flacco been traded to the Broncos

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

paulie21 wrote: »
    Flacco been traded to the Broncos
    As a broncos fan this news horrifies me , we need a qb for the future not some washed up guy who had a couple of good seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I highly doubt Flacco will resemble anything close to the answer for the Broncos, but I wish him well.

He could have caused a lot of hassle last season but conducted himself like the true professional he is in what was a very difficult situation for him. A great guy, and who could forget that playoff run resulting in a Super bowl?

Good luck to him. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

If true, what is Elway at? I’d say it was a bad move even if they got him on a team friendly deal from FA but they’re now on the hook for his crazy contract. Ravens would want to have given them a pick for it.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    If true, what is Elway at? I’d say it was a bad move even if they got him on a team friendly deal from FA but they’re now on the hook for his crazy contract. Ravens would want to have given them a pick for it.

Ravens actually received a "mid-round pick". Good old Elway.

Details can't be disclosed until next month but should leak out soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

He is a bridge. It won't stop Elway drafting a guy.

10mm in dead cap to cut Keenum
    18.5mm to Flacco for 2019

And then they may throw another 5mm if they move up to (say) #5 for a QB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

D9Male wrote: »

Elway isn't good at picking QB's tbf

D9Male wrote: »

Flacco is a bridge that is at best a marginal improvement on what they currently have (with an extra cost of 10.5m next year), apparently costing a mid-round pick to pick up, and he will be due 20.5m the following year, if the QB they draft keeps pace with Elway’s poor record and isn’t ready in 2020 for them to release.

They’re also still carrying dead cap from Lynch :pac:

• Advertisement

Is Flacco a significant upgrade on Keenum? You’d really wonder what the point of that move is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

OOnegative wrote: »
    Sad to see him go as a Steelers fan, has been the best wide receiver in the league past 6 years or so but man has he baggage as you say. Be nice to see a Steelers locker room minus some drama.

He is the best WR I have ever seen (Rice was nearly 40 when I started watching, Moss was the most dangerous but way too up-and-down, taking plays off, etc) and genuinely has (or had) the potential imo to challenge some of Rices records. This whole debacle has been quite a shame as I feel it could sidetrack a lot of that, and we may well see a bit of a dip in his production a lot earlier in his career than we otherwise may have.

Must suck in a sense to be a Steelers fan right now in that, Ben is getting older and has been on a slow descent for a few years imo, and losing (again imo) the best RB -and- the best WR in the entire league in fairly quick succession and ugly a manner has to sting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Is Flacco a significant upgrade on Keenum? You’d really wonder what the point of that move is

An upgrade - yes - 'significant' - meh.

This is a reflection of the ownership issues around the Broncos - the trust leaders need to get back into the play-offs as soon as possible.

This is a reflection of the ownership issues around the Broncos - the trust leaders need to get back into the play-offs as soon as possible.

Elway already spinning this as someone else's fault?

I suppose no one can take his spot as franchise GOAT QB if he keeps bringing in QBs that range from absolute garbage to distinctly average.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Ian Rappaport saying possibly a 4th rounder

Seems fair and was widely predicted. Baltimore will happily take that as they would have cut Flacco anyway if no trade happened

I hope RGIII stays in Baltimore but is an unrestricted free agent so he will take his time

I suppose no one can take his spot as franchise GOAT QB if he keeps bringing in QBs that range from absolute garbage to distinctly average.
    for all his faults I doubt this is one of them ;)
    Elway already spinning this as someone else's fault?
    Nope - Elway hasn't commented at all.

Broncos fans are only too well aware of the issues around the ownership. Specifically here - Ellis has made an absolute shambles out of the naming rights for Mile High Stadium and has cost the Broncos somewhere in the region of $20-$25million in lost revenue since the SB win. He is now facing a situation, because the Broncos have had two losing seasons, that if he sells the naming rights now he will be low-balled on any offer he receives. For Ellis to get what the Broncos should have got he needs the team back in the play-offs as soon as possible - more primetime tv. Certain personnel decisions are being made for financial reasons rather than football reasons - and the acquiring of Flacco is part of that - a quick fix at QB to try and get into the play-offs next season. And by the way - Elway's future as GM is probably directly tied to Ellis's control of the trust - if Beth Bowlen gets control of the Broncos then Elway is likely out the door with Ellis.

By the way - it is still likely that the Broncos take a QB (and maybe even two) and I would be surprised to see the Broncos take Drew Lock at 1.10. And if Flacco turns out to be really awful (which is possible) he can be cut with no guaranteed money.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You'd never how he might do in a different system. I don't think the Ravens have ever had a QB friendly offense.
    Flacco could turn out to be a lot better than expected. Of course he could also be just done. He is only 34 so could have a few seasons in him yet.

eagle eye wrote: »
    You'd never how he might do in a different system. I don't think the Ravens have ever had a QB friendly offense.
    Flacco could turn out to be a lot better than expected. Of course he could also be just done. He is only 34 so could have a few seasons in him yet.

The Broncos will be running the Shanahan version of the WCO - Flacco's best season was running a similar offence when Kubiak was the Ravens OC.

Trading for Flacco means that the Broncos don't have to draft a QB this year - in what is regarded as not a great QB class - they can afford to wait for next year when the QB class is much higher regard. I still think the Broncos might take Lock if he is available at 1.10 - he has the physical attributes for the offence the Broncos want to run.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The Colin Kaepernick posts have been moved to the dedicated thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057876336

https://twitter.com/ab84/status/1096838263736881152?s=21

Things are very messy in Pittsburgh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Paully D wrote: »

Not going to get any prettier anytime soon either!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

surely there's zero chance he plays, if he's not traded, will he hold out?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Will everything he's done publicly I think there's zero chance he plays with the Steelers again. He's forced their hand, but it's certainly come at the expense of his public image. He's coming across, to put it mildly, as a petulant child.

If they can’t get a trade done and he sits out the season he may as well retire. He’ll be 31 shortly and still has 3 years left on his Steelers contract. They have him over a barrel so his continuing antics on Social media are very curious. Cannot see how he is helping himself.

If they can’t get a trade done and he sits out the season he may as well retire. He’ll be 31 shortly and still has 3 years left on his Steelers contract. They have him over a barrel so his continuing antics on Social media are very curious. Cannot see how he is helping himself.

He's clearly trying to continue to keep the heat on the Steelers into making a trade, not letting the dust settle to the point where it goes out of the news.

Both parties really have each other over a barrel, it is a bad situation for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Cowboys haven't picked up their option on Terrence William and he'll hit free agency

I wonder if Rooney is on the same page with what was agreed

https://twitter.com/AB84/status/1097890102515249152

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Interesting article on the Franchise Tag which is quite relevant these days.
    Wondering will the Player Association look to change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Hopefully giving them like they means we won't see the cap disappearing in this upcoming round of the agreement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

As much as I hate the franchise tag I don't see it being done away with as it won't ever affect >90% of players. The majority of players won't care enough to fight it as it simply isn't an issue for them. IMO it shouldn't ever have been a thing, players in the league have it tough enough as is. If it goes, I'll be happy with the decision, but I don't see it happening.

Advertisement