Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

infacteh wrote: »
    I sure am, anything that gives us more football is a good thing. I'm picking the Arizona Hotshots as my team, been there a few times!

https://aaf.com/

Hadn't heard about this but I do notice they are going to be televised on NFL network. People have talked forever about having a Spring league and it has always fallen apart, but I think the only realistic way for it to work is to have the support of the NFL so it can work as a developmental league or something. Trying to take them on and compete with them has been the death of previous ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Agreed, even if they relaunched NFL Europe now, I feel it would be much more successful, given the higher profile of the game over here, and with the benefits the Internet has brought.

It must be very hard for NFL teams to develop players, given you can only have a 53 man roster, and 10 practice squad players. Unless a player can contribute on Special Teams, it's rare for him to get an opportunity to develop on a 53 man roster. Superbowl MVP Julian Edelman would be a good example, survived as a Punt Returner, and sometimes Safety, while developing his route running/receiver skills. Without being able to keep a roster spot as a PR, it's unlikely he'd have been given the opportunity to transition from college QB to NFL WR.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

So the Eagles exercised their option on Foles and he has bought himself out of it.

Talk of them potentially putting the franchise tag on him but I doubt that happens. Unless they have a trade partner agreed in advance (which would technically be against the rules of the tag) then it is too much of a risk to be stuck paying him the tag rate for next year. On the other side, I don’t think he is worth paying the tag rate anyway, especially when a team would be expected to give up draft capital for him and could lose him after a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭nerd69

Foxtrol wrote: »
    So the Eagles exercised their option on Foles and he has bought himself out of it.

Talk of them potentially putting the franchise tag on him but I doubt that happens. Unless they have a trade partner agreed in advance (which would technically be against the rules of the tag) then it is too much of a risk to be stuck paying him the tag rate for next year. On the other side, I don’t think he is worth paying the tag rate anyway, especially when a team would be expected to give up draft capital for him and could lose him after a year.

Ya best you would get would be a 3rd and you likely get a 3rd he year after as compensatory anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

The worry is if he ends up at the Giants, we are not worried about the Redskins as they have Smith's contract (who I hope recovers 100%)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'm fairly confident that he won't end up with the Giants.

Don't have the salary for one thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I fancy he ends up in Tampa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I'd say Jacksonville, bortles is gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Hococop wrote:
    I'd say Jacksonville, bortles is gone

Isn't Eli on his way to reunite with Coughlan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Jackson ville or else possibly miami?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Frankie Cortese

I would love to see Foles end up in Jacksonville to be honest & for them to draft a QB at No.7 & let him sit a year or 2.

https://twitter.com/thekylermurray/status/1095016263473119232?s=21

Think he goes No1 now personally. Someone trades up... who you fancy? Has the Giants written all over it I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

They might as well. Great talent and if you're going to shut out every questionable player then we'd have tumbleweed in stadiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

When will he be eligible to play again, have they NFL decided on his punishment? He and Chubb will be a scary backfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Not surprised by him ending up with the Browns. Dorsey couldn't care less what a player has done in the past or what negative PR he brings. Every team walks the line with talent and their personal issues but the blatant disregard he shows will likely make it hard for me to root for the Browns

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

Have the browns backed outright next year so personally delighted about Hunt!

Not surprised by him ending up with the Browns. Dorsey couldn't care less what a player has done in the past or what negative PR he brings. Every team walks the line with talent and their personal issues but the blatant disregard he shows will likely make it hard for me to root for the Browns

Absolutely he drafted Hill as well while with the chiefs, who also had a questionable character that saw him drop to the mid rounds

Hunt is from Cleveland afaik it’s probably a good fit and a player with his talent was never going to be left on the shelf so why not take a punt on him behaving himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Have the browns backed outright next year so personally delighted about Hunt!

For the Super Bowl?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Always thought that the Browns could pick him up with Dorsey drafting him in the first place at Kansas and with him also being from the area.

Have to believe in a second chance for someone for doing something completely stupid. He has the chance to sit back and reflect on himself and learn and be a better person and if he isn't, he won't get a third chance.

He will probably be banned for anything from upwards of 6 games so he will only be involved sparingly next season you would think.

Certainly on paper, the Browns have a quality running back trio of Chubb, Johnson and now Hunt. Could it possibly mean the end for Duke Johnson?

• Advertisement

VillaMad wrote: »
    Always thought that the Browns could pick him up with Dorsey drafting him in the first place at Kansas and with him also being from the area.

Have to believe in a second chance for someone for doing something completely stupid. He has the chance to sit back and reflect on himself and learn and be a better person and if he isn't, he won't get a third chance.

He will probably be banned for anything from upwards of 6 games so he will only be involved sparingly next season you would think.

Certainly on paper, the Browns have a quality running back trio of Chubb, Johnson and now Hunt. Could it possibly mean the end for Duke Johnson?

Assuming Hunt misses a significant part of the season surely they’ll hold on to Johnson? Trade him mid season if Hunt works out.

Browns are building an incredible roster. Can you see them bringing in a few FA’s and going full ‘win now’? They only have a couple of years before all these first rounders will want to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

For the Super Bowl?

Yup, a very very very longshot, I know. But, I really like Baker, they have a couple of good picks, a now top notch rubbing back trio and relatively decent WR group.

But as I said, an extremely long shot, Browns gonna Brown 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Yup, a very very very longshot, I know. But, I really like Baker, they have a couple of good picks, a now top notch rubbing back trio and relatively decent WR group.

But as I said, an extremely long shot, Browns gonna Brown ����

You cant beat a good back rub alright

• Registered Users Posts: 37,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

VillaMad wrote:
    A lot worse than him have been given second chances. There may have been other stuff though besides the video. I don't think he should get a ban over the video incident. It wasn't really that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Assuming Hunt misses a significant part of the season surely they’ll hold on to Johnson? Trade him mid season if Hunt works out.

Browns are building an incredible roster. Can you see them bringing in a few FA’s and going full ‘win now’? They only have a couple of years before all these first rounders will want to be paid.
    Yeah I guess you are right, they can think about that down the road as he will miss quite a bit of the season you would think. Duke Johnson has always been quite a good receiver and he might even try and become a slot receiver if given the opportunity.

They definitely could go down the win now road with a lot cap space still there to be spent and they will obviously be attractive to FA's given their situation, so they certainly can. They certainly need to improve on the defensive side of the ball.
    eagle eye wrote: »
    A lot worse than him have been given second chances. There may have been other stuff though besides the video. I don't think he should get a ban over the video incident. It wasn't really that bad.
    It is what it is. I would class it as completely idiotic and stupid rather than particularly violent but it appears there were a couple of incidents and he lied to them as well and the NFL have to be seen to do something about it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

AB supposedly has requested a trade from the Steelers.

OOnegative wrote: »
    AB supposedly has requested a trade from the Steelers.

Have been following him on social media and it’s been clear he can’t go back to the Steelers he posted an image of himself in a SF uniform a few weeks ago. Aside from that he puts up these bonkers cryptic posts almost daily. They guy must be completely mad.

Hard to make out his value given his age and diva issues. Probably has at least 2 elite seasons left though as he is in superb shape and has had no really major injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Have been following him on social media and it’s been clear he can’t go back to the Steelers he posted an image of himself in a SF uniform a few weeks ago. Aside from that he puts up these bonkers cryptic posts almost daily. They guy must be completely mad.

Hard to make out his value given his age and diva issues. Probably has at least 2 elite seasons left though as he is in superb shape and has had no really major injuries.

Sad to see him go as a Steelers fan, has been the best wide receiver in the league past 6 years or so but man has he baggage as you say. Be nice to see a Steelers locker room minus some drama.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Sad to see him go as a Steelers fan, has been the best wide receiver in the league past 6 years or so but man has he baggage as you say. Be nice to see a Steelers locker room minus some drama.

Guy is amazing, but if he can’t behave himself then they need to get something for him while they can even though the cap hit is sickening. Bell will be finally gone too. It’s still a very good roster and they can make a playoff run while Ben is there if they manage the off season well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Guy is amazing, but if he can’t behave himself then they need to get something for him while they can even though the cap hit is sickening. Bell will be finally gone too. It’s still a very good roster and they can make a playoff run while Ben is there if they manage the off season well.

is it though? number one rb and wr gone, big ben isnt getting any healthier or younger

Advertisement