Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options
1252253254255256258»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭amacca

That was more or less my thinking…albeit put much more eloquently etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭amacca

Nope...Im that most detestable type of sports fan....I enjoy the game but have no particular strong loyalty to any team....ill root for an underdog or favourite if I like the way they play most of the time...I find it hard to have undying loyalty to any team I have no real connection to...I probably should support either the rams or the chargers given I lived there and I did enjoy the rams under mcvay when goff was QB (particularly when they played in the coliseum) they played some very enjoyable high score games during that period, this season Ive enjoyed watching Detroit, the Dolphins some of the Eagles games etc ....I just dont seem to have that die hard supporter in me....Ill also tune in to watch a game with a particular QB or TE or wide receiver or defensive players either I think are going to have an outstanding game etc

In soccer it translates to me being an outcast most of the time as people label me a bandwagoner....liking AC Milan in the 90s, Arsenal in the invincibles double season, the real madrid of fat ronaldo, guti, raul, roberto carlos, zidane, figo etc etc....just cant bring myself to truly support any club I have no real connection to but I can enjoy a team that plays an exciting brand of football..so I suppose most sports are an entertainment product for me without the added dimension of any real "brand" loyalty ..I can however have teams I dont want to see win....(eg: Man City in soccer at the moment...possibly the Chiefs even though I would have thoroughly enjoyed watching them destroy teams during the mahomes tyreek hill killer punch period they provided some entertainment but I never like any team getting too long at the top unless they are exceptionally entertaining) ...I can and do support Irish national teams Soccer, Rugby as I can find some justification for that even if it is a hard slog with irish mens national team currently!

So basically in sports fan terms I'm without a shadow of a doubt and by far and away a mostly reprehensible human being!

Anyway, definitely off topic at this stage.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

In what’s essentially a first for them, Netflix have acquired worldwide* rights to the NFL’s Christmas Day games for the next three years.

https://www.nfl.com/news/netflix-will-be-the-home-to-live-nfl-games-this-christmas-day

(* As usual there will be local FTA broadcasts in participating teams home markets).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,771 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I have Netflix and prime but I don't like this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

More football that can be watched the better.

If they didn't have move these games on the new standalone dates then these would just be buried on a Sunday schedule, with most fans not being able to watch, as they weren't in their home market, or fans having to dish out way more on Sunday Ticket.

Ideally, they'd go to the networks but if they weren't willing/able to pony up then no issues with these going on streaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Interesting to see if Sky Sports still have rights to these 2 Christmas Day games, as they do for the Thursday night Amazon Prime package.

Also next season is the final year of the current NFL/Sky deal, which by all accounts is currently a freebie for Sky (with the quid quo pro being that they showcase/present the games as requested by the NFL).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Some crazy comments from Chiefs super kicker Harrison Butker.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/article/2024/may/15/harrison-butker-commencement-speech

Like obviously being anti-Biden is fine, and anti-abortion is a valid stance shared by many people. I disagree on both but can understand his viewpoint.

But having a pop at gay people, equating IVF with abortion as being things which 'stem from the pervasiveness of disorder', and telling the women at the graduation ceremony that their true fulfilment will be as wives/mothers/homemakers rather than using their just-gained qualifications to make a career - I'm not sure you could even call most of that hardcore religious stuff - its almost Handmaids Tale rhetoric.

Advertisement