Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Would the players really care about getting pick 29/30? Why should they bust their balls for something so trivial. 20% or so of the roster won’t even be on the team the following year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Paully D wrote: »
    Just checked the box score - a Jason Garrett led offense scoring 0 points through 3 quarters in the Pro Bowl is the most fitting thing ever :pac:

So in a glorified game of flag football where
    1) Zeke and Barkley played on the D Line..
    2) Mike Evans had an interception
    3) Jalen Ramsey had a receiving touchdown
    4) Adam Thielen threw an interception

all you can talk about is the cowboys...

Well I suppose its better to be talked about and feared than not....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

brinty wrote: »
    So in a glorified game of flag football where
    1) Zeke and Barkley played on the D Line..
    2) Mike Evans had an interception
    3) Jalen Ramsey had a receiving touchdown
    4) Adam Thielen threw an interception

all you can talk about is the cowboys...

Well I suppose its better to be talked about and feared than not....
    I don't think fear means what you think it does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

That was brutal. Barely a memorable moment. They should just make it flag to allow bigger plays as it pretty much is anyway. Best play of the game iirc was the Mike Evans interception, and it's not even worth a watch tbh.

3rd place playoff game would make for a far more interesting night. It'd probably be a lot like the 3rd place playoff game at the WC but still miles better than the Pro Bowl. Not too sure many players would get behind it though.

Probably a good idea but it would need a twist - winner gets pick #29, loser gets #30 maybe? It's not a lot but at least gives them an incentive, and avoids anyone throwing the game (unlikely that far down the draft, but just to be safe). EDIT: Crap, I've been beaten to it by yer man with the fancy jeans. :o

I'm living in Canada so the Pro Bowl was on at a convenient time whenever it kicked off, but I never even bothered to look. Somehow it seems to have become even more irrelevant over the last decade - moving it to the week before the Superbowl was a bad move for the PB, but the week benefit does benefit the SB and it's run up which is the 'greater good' I suppose.

I don't think fear means what you think it does

All I could think reading this post was Russell Crowe declaring "I am mortified, petrified, stupefied by you, Jason Garrett!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Billy86 wrote: »
    Probably a good idea but it would need a twist - winner gets pick #29, loser gets #30 maybe? It's not a lot but at least gives them an incentive, and avoids anyone throwing the game (unlikely that far down the draft, but just to be safe). EDIT: Crap, I've been beaten to it by yer man with the fancy jeans. :o

I'm living in Canada so the Pro Bowl was on at a convenient time whenever it kicked off, but I never even bothered to look. Somehow it seems to have become even more irrelevant over the last decade - moving it to the week before the Superbowl was a bad move for the PB, but the week benefit does benefit the SB and it's run up which is the 'greater good' I suppose.

Yeah I think a 3rd place playoff is the best alternative, but as said above, a lot of players wouldn't really care if there's only a higher draft pick. 3rd place playoff at WCs are different as it's only once every 4 years, so a bronze there is actually a notable achievement.
    Although if it was marketed properly, and they gave it a fancy name with a decent trophy it might have a chance, but I don't see it happening either way.

I've heard the idea of the 2 worst teams battling it out for the top overall draft pick, but again, I doubt the players would be motivated too much by that, and also, if you were coming off a 2-14 season and had to stay training for another 4 weeks you'd be fairly pissed off. Can't see that being accepted by the players either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Just have the named team and the skills thing and forget about the game altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

https://twitter.com/ThePowerSweep/status/1089884371509829632

it's mad to me the connections the media have in the NFL in comparison to the rumour mill of soccer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Knex. wrote: »

it's mad to me the connections the media have in the NFL in comparison to the rumour mill of soccer.
    The rumour mill in soccer is fueled by the sheer about of players/clubs that exist in so many countries; there's so many options. It's a small (in comparison) community in the NFL.

In the case of the above, it's quite possible that LaFleur was already told, but played dumb to Schefter. But I'm sure it'll get Schefter a few more followers :)

Why what ever could you mean?

football-pundit-guillem-balague_3354472.jpg

• Advertisement

Adam Schefter, who also releases private medical records in the name of news.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Why what ever could you mean?

football-pundit-guillem-balague_3354472.jpg

Been a while seen since I've seen or heard from Mr Ballbag. Jesus I hope he's still not at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I bet the play for 3rd and 9 will be have the receiver run a 7 yard route where he will be tackled immediately after catching the ball and result in the punt team coming on. That’s Jay’s move.

Cushing came across as being such a dick that year they were on Hard Knocks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Paully D wrote: »

"Just push harder you pussy"

Wonder how many injuries they'll accrue before the season even kicks off.

No more Rob Ryan on Sky Sports. He's taken the ILB Coach job with the Redskins.

Speaking of ILBs. I'm struggling to get my head around this take.

https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/1090303340154621953

• Advertisement

Speaking of ILBs. I'm struggling to get my head around this take.

https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/1090303340154621953

That’s a very strange take.

Wasn’t Bruschi about 250lbs, whereas Oliver is closer to 300lbs?

Imagine having Oliver lose about 40-50lbs and trying to cover receivers :pac:

You can always count on NFL teams and talent evaluators to completely overthink things instead of just rolling with good prospects for what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Julius Peppers has retired. 39 years old, 17 year career, 9 pro bowls, 3 all pro teams, 159.5 sacks.

Hall of Fame for sure, probably first ballot. Whatever about the longevity of Brady, Brees, etc, 17 years at defensive end is an incredible accomplishment.

I remember he was my favourite player with the Bears when I first started getting into football seriously. Was not happy when he went north.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Julius Peppers has retired. 39 years old, 17 year career, 9 pro bowls, 3 all pro teams, 159.5 sacks.

Hall of Fame for sure, probably first ballot. Whatever about the longevity of Brady, Brees, etc, 17 years at defensive end is an incredible accomplishment.

I remember he was my favourite player with the Bears when I first started getting into football seriously. Was not happy when he went north.

Apparently only missed 6 games in his career. Crazy for that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,796 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Great, great player.

First ballot no doubt. Longevity was incredible. Retired half a sack off the top 3 all time, must be a bit gutted over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭nerd69

In the conversation for freakiest athlete to ever play the game

295lbs with a 4.68 combine, and played considerably faster than that time on occasion, nuff said on that front really.

His attitude was never terrible but a little up-and-down at times early, but he developed into a real model pro - which probably explains how he kept very productive at 39 in a position where you`re doing exceptionally to even keep in the league beyond about 33 years of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Looking forward to seeing who gets into the Hall of fame tonight. I know the HOF has its problems but this is my favourite non football playing days of the season.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing who gets into the Hall of fame tonight. I know the HOF has its problems but this is my favourite non football playing days of the season.

Even better than the day the schedule gets announced....?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Even better than the day the schedule gets announced....?????

Maybe I should have said one of my favourite days of the season.

Advertisement