Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in the GAA - super thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,627 ✭✭✭eire4

Given how small Parnell Park is that would cost the GAA a lot of lost revenue. Unless Dublin are given a 30,000 odd sized stadium of their own or agree some deal with the government for a new stadium of that nature that was shared with other sports say for instance combing with Leinster Rugby for a redeveloped RDS it is not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

After the last day I believe after match citing for dangerous and dirty play is something that the GAA need to have the balls to bring in.

Otherwise I hope someone takes them to court and ultimately the cleaners.

Oh and proper sanctions, games missed, not just lip service with numerous appeal avenues.

We always get this shyte about players are only amateur and it would be great pity if they were to miss matches.

Well the players they hurt and sometimes seriously injure are only amateurs as well, and have lives and jobs outside GAA that are affected by their dangerous actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Can anyone provide a link to the proposed new football cship structures that are to be discussed n the Autumn? At least i think thats when they will be discussed

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭newbie11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭newbie11

The Gaelic Players Association looks set to offer its backing to a league-championship football structure ahead of next month's Special Congress.

The GPA is preparing to canvass inter-county footballers to see which championship structure they would prefer as Congress prepares to map out a path forward for the future structure of the Gaelic football season.

Two new formats for football are on the table, including a transformation of the provincial championships into four equally-sized groups of eight counties and a more radical switching of the Allianz League into the summer. This option would incorporate the provincial championships being played off in the spring.

The third option is that the current format remains with some changes.

RTÉ Sport understands that there has already been very strong support from the GPA membership for Proposal B, the league-based championship, which would see the provincial championships retained, as well as a Tailteann Cup competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

noticed the Munster Club championships will spill over to 2022 with the finals taking place early January

Was hoping for a link to the actual detailed proposal?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ATR72

League proposal.

Top 4 in Div 1 and top 2 in Div 2 qualify for the QFs. 5th placed Div 1 team plus 3rd in Div 2 and the champions of Div 3 and 4 qualify for a preliminary QF.

Hmm, was hoping for a champions league style format. So that means 10 teams go forward from the NFL to the AI series? And the rest in the Tailteann Cup??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ATR72

Only Div 3 and 4 teams are in Tier 2. The remaining Div 2 counties get no Championship games.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Didn’t they experiment with a handpass rule to three hand passes only and it was a nightmare for refs?

That flipping advanced mark thing should be dropped anyway ruins a game. Stop start.

I was thinking that changing the value of the type of goal scored might work. Instead of limiting hand passes go the other way.

Give incentive to direct running a fella scores a goal beating 3 or more outfielders in a direct run = 4 points? It would discourage hand passing?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

The issue is teams parking 15 bodies behind the ball. If 4 points for goal teams will go more defensive. The hand pass can draw players out. It gas when see people complaining about teams playing keep ball and passing sidewides and yet the opposition keep 15 behind the ball with no attempt to win ball back. That should be real issue-ultra cautious managers/coaches.

Are we going back to the 2018 and 2019 intercounty season calendar for 2022 ?

Personally preferred the old calendar esp this years one but obv covid played its part for that

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Treble double

Proposal B could transform Inter County Football.

The National Football Leauge in it's current guise is arguably the best competition in the GAA. From a fairness, competiveness and entertainment point of view it has no equal. It's all inclusive encompassing 32 counties (insert London for Kilkenny).

How can it be improved? Play it in the summer when it is even more conducive to good football. Give it extra gravitas by linking it in to winning the Sam Maguire. The buzz around home and away games played in county grounds by teams of equal ability on Summer Saturday evenings will be a massive injection for the game. It will also attract high attendances.

This is a real opportunity for football and I hope it's not blocked by blazers in provincial councils with short sighted self interest at heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭kerry_man15

Options A and B sound poor tbh. What's the point of calling them provincial championships if they are going to make 4 groups of 8. That would mean many teams not playing in their actual province thereby making it a farce (like Galway winning the Leinster Championship). If going with 4 groups of 8 just scrap the provincial element to it.

I don't like the League option either, tying the league into the championship is ridiculous. They should be two separate competitions (like the EPL and FA Cup). It also sounds way more complicated, why not keep it simple?

The best thing to do would be to make a Champions League type of format with 8 groups of 4 for the group stages. All teams would then get several games. Top 2 in each group go into knockout stage. Why can they never keep things simple?

B is very straight forward, the divisions are already in place, it gives real meaning to the leauge and it is played at the proper time of the year.

There will be a secondary competition the outdated provincial championships will be played in Spring

• Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Not 'many', a handful, but I suppose if you concede the principle...

With the league championship proposal

What happens to the 6th/7th and 8th Division 1 and the rest of Division 2, do they go into the Tailteann Cup or is it season over for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Was wondering this myself, i still cant find a detailed explanation of Option B. If this is the case i cant see the top teams being bothered about this Tailteann Cup if they dont have a top 5 finish.

Season over for those teams which is a major flaw in this so called no brainer of a proposal to vote in that some in the national media are trying to portray it as.

I'm guessing the Football League/Championship would start later in the year maybe early-mid April and be done by end of July

The hurling League start the end of January with the Championship Round robin in May

Every team in the country will get 7 games in the height of summer with positive results getting them into all Ireland knockout stages, if you don't get the results in div 1 and 2 you will be in a relegation scrap. Every team will find their level. Some will say maybe it would be easier to qualify from div 2, but the counter argument would be that playing the top teams in div 1 would prepare you better for a tilt at the ultimate prize. I think this is as good a proposal as has ever been put forward and hopefully it gets off the ground

Its a bit of mix bag with the Div 3 and Div 4 champions, very doubtful they will be able to beat the teams in the All Ireland Preliminary Rounds, Maybe Div 3 champions would give them a game but the Div 4 champions wont have a hope and would they not be better off in the Tailteann Cup

Id prefer Option B instead of that Farce of the other one with teams joining Munster and Connacht championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Your first point makes sense but i suppose they are trying to find a formula that allows every team a chance to compete in the AI proper. Maybe allow beaten Div 3 and 4 teams into T Cup? I admit i haven't thou8ght this out thoroughly 🤔

The division 3 and 4 teams will be coming into the preliminary quarter final with serious momentum, probably on the back of winning 6 or 7 games, take Derry in this year's leauge for example they flew through the division and would have fancied their chances against any team bar the elites.

They came within a whisker of Donegal in the Ulster Championship. You can't underestimate the effect winning matches has on a team.

The likely dates for the 7 game league phase would be: April 3rd, April 10th, April 17th, April 24th, May 8th, May 15th, May 22nd.

Might we lucky to get some decent weather in May but April is nearly always cold, wet or windy the type of weather not suited to attracting large crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I just did a bit of analysis of the bottom three teams in Div 1 between 2009 (first year with just 4 straight divisions) and 2019 (last pre COVID season) and how they fared in that years championship.

The breakdown is below, but the summary is on two occasions a bottom three team won it, on one occasion they lost a final, on 2 occasions they got to semi finals, and on 9 occasions they got to quarters.

So of 33 examples, 14 (42%) got to at least the QF.

Excluding the bottom three teams for any further involvement after the 7 league games is pretty s**ty in my opinion.

That 6th place in the league was always a decent landing spot for a lot of teams who needed to re-build or were hit by injuries, or for a team newly promoted.

Get to 6th and you are not going down, but you still could risk points by experimenting, blooding new players etc.

If it's implemented it's going to make Div 1 really tough.

Personally I don't think Div 1 team should be excluded at all.

Have a playoff with a Div 2 team instead to get to the next stage.

Championship finishing point after coming bottom 3 in Division 1

Winners 2 

Final 1

SF 2

QF 9

Rd1 7

Rd2 5

Rd3 3

Rd4 4 

Dublin - QF

Donegal - QF

Westmeath - Rd2

Monaghan - Rd4

Derry - Rd3

Tyrone - QF

Armagh - Rd3

Monaghan - Rd1

Galway - Rd2

Donegal - Winners

Armagh - Rd1

Laois - QF

Kerry - SF 

Donegal - QF

Down - Rd2

Kerry - Winners

Kildare - Rd4

Westmeath - Rd1

Kerry - Final

Tyrone - Rd2

Derry - Rd3

Monaghan - Rd1

Cork - Rd4

Down - Rd1

Tyrone - SF

Cavan - Rd1

Roscommon - QF

Mayo - Rd2

Donegal - QF

Kildare - QF

Monaghan - Rd1

Roscommon - QF

Cavan - Rd4

• Advertisement

Under the proposed system division 1 is the championship. The teams who previously used it to develop and were relegated or just escaped will now you the provincial championship earlier in the season to develop.

Advertisement