Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in the GAA - super thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Lundstram wrote: »
    Maybe our stadium is a kip because we weren't handed Croke Park free of charge like the Dubs were? But I guess "DuBs HoMe StAdIuM iS pArNeLl PaRk".

Navan is a kip too. As is Drogheda, Aughrim, Mullingar? Guess why. Those counties have to fund stadiums themselves.

You are utterly deluded or misinformed, probably both.

Limerick isn't a kip and neither is Castlebar, Roscommon, Omagh, Tullamore, Portlaoise and most others who all have to fund stadiums themselves

dobman88 wrote: »
    So its wrong for counties who havent a hope of winning the top prize to compete against teams of a similar standard for a trophy?

I guarantee you any player winning an all Ireland medal, regardless of what grade it's at, would be absolutely delighted.

The teired hurling has been good for the sport and counties involved and despite the moaning it gets way more exposure than any other system the GAA have tried before in hurling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Remarkably, the last time Dublin played an away game in the Leinster Championship was June 2006 in Longford.

14 years ago.

Incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Rolo2010

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The teired hurling has been good for the sport and counties involved and despite the moaning it gets way more exposure than any other system the GAA have tried before in hurling

So not much exposure at all then.

Rolo2010 wrote: »
    So not much exposure at all then.

A little is at least better than none

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Remarkably, the last time Dublin played an away game in the Leinster Championship was June 2006 in Longford.

14 years ago.

Incredible.

I'll spell it out for you:

Every year the Leinster Council meet up to decide on fixtures.
    Each individual county has a vote.
    Each individual county can opt to play their home game in their home county ground.
    The fact that Dublin last played outside of Dublin almost 15 years ago says more about the other counties and their boards than about Dublin.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I'll spell it out for you:

Every year the Leinster Council meet up to decide on fixtures.
    Each individual county has a vote.
    Each individual county can opt to play their home game in their home county ground.
    The fact that Dublin last played outside of Dublin almost 15 years ago says more about the other counties and their boards than about Dublin.

Exactly but people don't want to look at their own county boards and say what are we doing in the long run or underage to get better easier blame Dublin. It's not like Leinster teams are tearing it up against counties of similar resources

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Would Meath win an Ulster, Connaught or Munster Footbal final?

Would they f***k

Bambi wrote: »

Would they f***k

Ya but Cork and Antrim and Galway with their population and money and boo hoo hoo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭dunnerc

14 years ago.

Incredible.

Whats incredible is you deliberately ignore the reason why :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭GalwayMark

Ya but Cork and Antrim and Galway with their population and money and boo hoo hoo

Unionists are the majority in Down and Antrim therefore you have to take any figures up North with a huge asterix beside them while Cork is still GAA mad but there's soccer with Cork City and Cobh Ramblers plus there's also basketball, rugby, other sports while having a massive rural population out west which is predominantly football esp. near the border with Kerry and East is mainly hurling so don't have quite the same resources even with its massive number of clubs outnumbering Dublin.

GalwayMark wrote: »
    Unionists are the majority in Down and Antrim therefore you have to take any figures up North with a huge asterix beside them while Cork is still GAA mad but there's soccer with Cork City and Cobh Ramblers plus there's also basketball, rugby, other sports while having a massive rural population out west which is predominantly football esp. near the border with Kerry and East is mainly hurling so don't have quite the same resources even with its massive number of clubs outnumbering Dublin.

It was a joke. Don't worry bout breaking it down too much

Ultimately cross-border club leagues have allowed Kildare and Meath to victories over Dublin at Underage so why not think outside the box and therefore remove lines created hundreds of years ago to improve standards everywhere in both codes because people don't want to give up the inter county structure any time soon and doing the same thing again while expecting different results is the definition of insanity to paraphrase the scientist Albert Einstein.

It was a joke. Don't worry bout breaking it down too much

Still there's a huge amount of truth in that statement so yeah the GAA needs to be radically reformed or it will go the way of the Church and Fianna Fail if they don't proceed very carefully. The new split season could allow these changes to happen within a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Thankfully no such distractions exist in Dublin :confused:

Do people even think before they post?

Thankfully no such distractions exist in Dublin :confused:

Do people even think before they post?

Yes but Dublin can soak it up very handily while the rest of the island doesn't have quite the same resources so yeah the post only concerned major centres outside the capital where the population is much lower and doesn't have the playing numbers to sustain success at inter-county level very consistently.

Still there's a huge amount of truth in that statement so yeah the GAA needs to be radically reformed or it will go the way of the Church and Fianna Fail if they don't proceed very carefully. The new split season could allow these changes to happen within a few years.

Don't worry the church and FF f****d this country I don't think the GAA are ever gonna be accused of anything that bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Is it Dublin or anyone elses fault the Kildare's stadium was a kip?

And your own county boards are happy to take the big gates from CP. If this all really was a big issue ye should all just pull out of Leinster in protest
    If croker was in kildare, Newbridge would just be seen as another cosy parnell Park type game. Sadly they don't have it that easy.

Don't worry the church and FF f****d this country I don't think the GAA are ever gonna be accused of anything that bad
    In terms of what has happened to the leinster championship and now the all Ireland they've ****ed up more then those other institutions ever had. And every year it gets worse so not over yet.

They've butchered what was once the best provincial championship only rivalled by the munster hurling.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    In terms of what has happened to the leinster championship and now the all Ireland they've ****ed up more then those other institutions ever had. And every year it gets worse so not over yet.

They've butchered what was once the best provincial championship only rivalled by the munster hurling.

Jokes aside comparing the death of the Leinster championship to what the church done is a bit sick

• Advertisement

Jokes aside comparing the death of the Leinster championship to what the church done is a bit sick

Yeah but that's if you put jokes aside. Indeed if you weren't joking it would be sick but sure if my aunt had balls!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

So its wrong for counties who havent a hope of winning the top prize to compete against teams of a similar standard for a trophy?

I guarantee you any player winning an all Ireland medal, regardless of what grade it's at, would be absolutely delighted.
    It's not an All Ireland medal when only 5 or 6 counties are competing in it?

So is a Tipperary all Ireland medal worth the same as a Kerry Christy ring medal? No I dont think so

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

risteard7 wrote: »

So is a Tipperary all Ireland medal worth the same as a Kerry Christy ring medal? No I dont think so
    You are still all ireland champions if you win the top tier and if you win a lower tiered competition you've properly earned your right to contest for the higher grades/competitions and its better than the current set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Would they f***k

Why wouldn't they? None of the winners this year are from Division 1 next year

Why wouldn't they? None of the winners this year are from Division 1 next year
    Don't forget more meath players turn down call ups then they accept. If we played in another province where we actually had a prayer the team would look very different. So not only would we compete in our current state but we could actually be better. Leinster as a championship is very damaging to any county competing bar dublin. It would be wise to try move to connaught or ulster like the way teams moved around in hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Of course it is. What makes Tipp winning Liam worthwhile but Kerry winning a Joe McDongah cup not worthwhile? Kerry will play in the Joe McDonagh final before the Senior hurling final, I'll be watching and hope they win and I know those lads will be absolutely delighted if they win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

I think Cavan and Tipp proved that a two tier championship is nonsense. The reason football is less attractive is Dublin dominance and possession type football (not just Dublin).

crossman47 wrote: »
    I think Cavan and Tipp proved that a two tier championship is nonsense. The reason football is less attractive is Dublin dominance and possession type football (not just Dublin).
    Even I connaught no team has defended it in 5 years. You had mayo dominance for about 5 years before but mayo are not a county as big as Dublin with the resources to cause a snowball effect and keep winning it forever. Even the mighty kerry can't. Same with Donegal who were going for 3 in a row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Even I connaught no team has defended it in 5 years. You had mayo dominance for about 5 years before but mayo are not a county as big as Dublin with the resources to cause a snowball effect and keep winning it forever. Even the mighty kerry can't. Same with Donegal who were going for 3 in a row.
    Kerry were going for 8 in a row before tipp won this year.
    Tipp winning this year doesnt show two tiers isnt needed. We dont know if its a one off or not yet.

Advertisement