Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you flash lights at other drivers to warn them of speed vans?

Options

Comments

Patww79 wrote: »
    Yeah, that's the same.

Were the cops right to do him?

Pulling over to the hard shoulder to allow a car pass is dangerous. Ill-advised and really annoying.
    That's correct when it isn't safe to do so, but on an open straight section of road where there is no chance of anything appearing from the side of the road, it's perfectly OK to move over a bit to let faster vehicles pass.

The worst drivers are those who insist in driving to the right of the lane and making it much harder and more dangerous to overtake than necessary. Having such an attitude, increases your chances of witnessing a head on crash!

Pulling over to the hard shoulder to allow a car pass is dangerous. Ill-advised and really annoying.

How is it 'really annoying'? What if you had to perform an emergency braking maneuver? I'd rather have no-one directly behind me than having someone 6 feet from my tail lights in the same circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I don't bother but I do appreciate it when others do it for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

On the contrary a powerful car is much much happier in high gears at low speeds than a less powerful one. I can start moving in 3rd gear (I don’t do this regularly) if I want and be in 6th from 60kmh whereas my second car which is diesel car can’t even start off in second, only has 5 gears and has to be in at lest 80 higher really to be in 5th.

My sympathies to your clutch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Anyone that can't get a car to start moving in 2nd (5 speed diesel or not) can't drive anyway. Feet like paving slabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

One thing that’s worked really well for me since I started driving in 1987 is to keep within the speed limits. No fines or penalty points in that time, so I guess my strategy is working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

no that revenue is badly needed. every penny counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

no that revenue is badly needed. every penny counts.

The deal they did with their gosafe friends means no money made.

Only a wanker doesn't flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Kuva wrote: »

Only a wanker doesn't flash.

Only **** flash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Fieldsman

Well done to Dolanbaker and Nox001 for pointing out to some people that it's perfectly legal to use the hard shoulder as some drivers think there kept for car-parking or something else

Fieldsman wrote: »
    Well done to Dolanbaker and Nox001 for pointing out to some people that it's perfectly legal to use the hard shoulder as some drivers think there kept for car-parking or something else

They're legal. Doesn't mean you're obliged to.

They're legal. Doesn't mean you're obliged to.
    That's correct, but it is in the highway code to be courteous to other road users and not to (needlessly) impede their progress when it is safe to pullover and let them pass safely.

That's correct, but it is in the highway code to be courteous to other road users and not to (needlessly) impede their progress when it is safe to do so.

Going the speed limit isn't impeding anyone. Increasing my chances of a puncture or accident in the hard shoulder is impeding myself.

Keep close to the yellow line, if they want to pass then they may pass without someone jumping into the ditch for them. I'll even drop speed if they make a move to make the manouver quicker but not in a million years am I driving on the hard shoulder for anyone.

Going the speed limit isn't impeding anyone. Increasing my chances of a puncture or accident in the hard shoulder is impeding myself.

Keep close to the yellow line, if they want to pass then they may pass without someone jumping into the ditch for them. I'll even drop speed if they make a move to make the manoeuvrer quicker but not in a million years am I driving on the hard shoulder for anyone.
    How do you pass vehicles turning right on a section of road that does not have central hatchings and there only the hard shoulder to to use to get past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

That's correct, but it is in the highway code to be courteous to other road users and not to (needlessly) impede their progress when it is safe to pullover and let them pass safely.

If you're driving extremely slowly and there's a queue developing behind you, then you should pull over/stop and let everyone pass you safely. If you're driving at a normal speed (i.e. at or close to the limit), then it's up to the person behind you to exercise courtesy, keep their distance and overtake only when it's safe to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,606 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Seeing as the Highway Code doesn't apply to Ireland, it seems that you've been reading the wrong book

Seeing as the Highway Code doesn't apply to Ireland, it seems that you've been reading the wrong book
    The rules of the road are generally the same, so don't be pedantic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭oceanman

lertsnim wrote: »
    I don't bother but I do appreciate it when others do it for me.
    that's nice of you...

The rules of the road are generally the same, so don't be pedantic!

Generally the same, though different on some important issues.

Anyway, let's have a look at what ROTR says about using the hard shoulder:
    This road contains a hard shoulder, which is normally only for pedestrians and cyclists.If a driver wants to allow a vehicle behind them to overtake, they may pull in to the hard shoulder briefly (but do not continue driving in the hard shoulder) as long as no pedestrians or cyclists are already using it and no junctions or entrances are nearby.

So if you want to use the hard shoulder to let someone overtake, you need to make sure it is clear of pedestrians and cyclists, and you need to make sure there are no junctions or entrances around for as long as it's going to take the lad behind you to overtake. How exactly do you know how long it's going to take the lad behind you to overtake?

• Advertisement

Anyway, let's have a look at what ROTR says about using the hard shoulder:

So if you want to use the hard shoulder to let someone overtake, you need to make sure it is clear of pedestrians and cyclists, and you need to make sure there are no junctions or entrances around for as long as it's going to take the lad behind you to overtake. How exactly do you know how long it's going to take the lad behind you to overtake?
    You use a bit of common sense of course, it does depend upon what you drive and what they are driving, plus consider whether your driving speed is holding them up!

You use a bit of common sense of course, it does depend upon what you drive and what they are driving, plus consider whether your driving speed is holding them up!
    So you're generally able to identify the model/engine size/engine type of the vehicle behind you, from those glances in your rear view mirror, while watching the road ahead too?

Good trick.

Are you also able to judge the confidence/hesitancy level of the driver behind you from that quick glance? You know, whether they are one of those confident drivers that pulls out quickly and gets back in quickly, or one of those people that takes about three goes to pull out, and then slowly breezes through, requiring the incoming traffic to move over and give way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

If someone comes up behind you rapid, it's unlikely that they're not going to hang back.
    Oh and poster that was on about hard shoulder drivers in Wexford now must eat humble pie.

There's the big swinging mickey approach to speeding.

So you're generally able to identify the model/engine size/engine type of the vehicle behind you, from those glances in your rear view mirror, while watching the road ahead too?

Good trick.

Are you also able to judge the confidence/hesitancy level of the driver behind you from that quick glance? You know, whether they are one of those confident drivers that pulls out quickly and gets back in quickly, or one of those people that takes about three goes to pull out, and then slowly breezes through, requiring the incoming traffic to move over and give way?
    I would say that most drivers can work out whether the following vehicle is capable of passing you in the time it will take you to pull over and need to return to the main line.

If that beemer that was a dot in your rear view five seconds earlier is now filling the whole view, then it's easy to conclude that he will be past you in seconds.
    If on the other hand taken ten minutes to catch up with you then you don't move.

If you don't have that ability to work this out, then you need to question your general driving abilities wrt anticipation of other vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

How little do you have to have going on in your life to feel smug about leaving someone get caught by a speed van? lmao

How little do you have to have going on in your life to feel smug about leaving someone get caught by a speed van? lmao

About as little as someone who thinks they're a big fella by going faster than the limit.

I would say that most drivers can work out whether the following vehicle is capable of passing you in the time it will take you to pull over and need to return to the main line.

If that beemer that was a dot in your rear view five seconds earlier is now filling the whole view, then it's easy to conclude that he will be past you in seconds.
    If on the other hand taken ten minutes to catch up with you then you don't move.

If you don't have that ability to work this out, then you need to question your general driving abilities wrt anticipation of other vehicles.

Ah, I get it now - just take a bit of an oul gamble based on many flawed assumptions and your restricted view of road entrances maybe 500m ahead and sure it'll be grand.

Is it any wonder we have three or four people killed on the roads each week.

Ah, I get it now - just take a bit of an oul gamble based on many flawed assumptions and your restricted view of road entrances maybe 500m ahead and sure it'll be grand.

Is it any wonder we have three or four people killed on the roads each week.
    Sure, divert away from the subject in hand when you can't provide an answer, how many if any of those deaths were caused by someone moving over to let a faster vehicle pass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

About as little as someone who thinks they're a big fella by going faster than the limit.

So you are telling me you never ever broke the speed limit.

Advertisement