Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you flash lights at other drivers to warn them of speed vans?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

No, if you are abiding by the rules of the road, pay your car tax, insurance, and NCT if required then one has nothing to fear whether a speed van or checkpoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

RobertKK wrote: »
    No, if you are abiding by the rules of the road, pay your car tax, insurance, and NCT if required then one has nothing to fear whether a speed van or checkpoint.
    Ah yes, the "nothing to hide" brigade.

I having nothing to hide, but what I have I don't want to show to you.

Yes always flash other drivers, I’ve been saved many times by other drivers flashing me and I’m happy to return the favour. That goes for gosafe vans, Garda checkpoints and customs checkpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Yes always flash other drivers, I’ve been saved many times by other drivers flashing me and I’m happy to return the favour. That goes for gosafe vans, Garda checkpoints and customs checkpoints.

You are the reason for the checkpoints etc so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

If people flash people because there's a go-safe (money making) van outside a school surely the resulting fact - people driving slowly by said school is a good thing? The go-speed van becomes a community regulated traffic calming measure.

I don't agree with people doing it for check points. I'd rather have drunk drivers, uninsured drivers, criminals and scumbags caught.

When they're caught I throw my head back and laugh. (after pulling in safely of course)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Yup generally do, just doing my bit for road safety

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

if some one is driving along normally i might flash just incase they drift over a little. if someone is flying it i wouldnt. especially on a twisty road or one with a stupid speed limit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭appledrop

There are a number of regular speed cameras on my way to work that are absolutely ridiculous + I always flash people for these. One drops from 80 to 60 real quick+ van will literally be right at edge of 60 spot. Actually more dangerous if you slowed right down that quick. Another classic is one is M4/N4 when it drops from 120 to 80. I have yet to see one on actual dangerous road where they need to be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

RobertKK wrote: »

There have been a couple of occasions in the past when my motor tax renewal coincided with other large bills, and I ended up having no choice but to wait three or four weeks until I could afford it. I drove during that period because I had no other way of getting to my minimum wage job at the time. Taxing your car a bit late is a victimless crime, but it's one that can carry a very harsh penalty - and being punished financially as a result of being broke in the first place would have been a real kick in the teeth. I mean, you're already punished financially if you're too poor to afford the full 12 months tax in one go.

So yeah, life can be pretty crap when you're too busy juggling your finances to be a fully paid-up member of the "I have nothing to fear" club.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭thefa

What's courteous is obeying the speed limits and not putting yourself and other road users in danger.

So the speed limit or under is safe driving while over the speed limit is a danger to yourself and other road users? Sounds oversimplified.

Have seen plenty of dangerous driving within the speed limits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Yeah, especially if they're bombing it!

I love the smell of heavy braking in the morning!!:D

They couldn't be doing much speed if you can smell there brakes while traveling in the opposite direction..

Patww79 wrote: »

Did you shoot a man in Reno just to watch him die?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭appledrop

Some of the speed limits are ridiculous. The N4 is 80 + yet I drive on a very dangerous country road that is also 80 + you would be off the roaf if you did 80 especially in winter with black ice. Its that bendy that nearly contionus white line the whole way.

I would never flash for garda check point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Sometimes I'll warn other drivers but it depends on the location. One spot near me is a regular cash grab where the speed limit varies from 80 to 60 and back to 80 in a very short distance. If flashing the lights gets someone to slow down then you have achieved what the speed van is meant to do i.e. reduce speed. What I wont do and I cant understand others doing is posting location of check points to the facebook groups you see which monitor traffic. If anything I want drink drivers, uninsured, burglers etc. to meet these check points.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I don't get the whole "speed vans are a money racket" thing - so what, they're making money off people who are breaking the law. F*ck 'em, let them pay the well deserved fine. It's not coming out of my pocket.

Brigades are very popular here.

I'm a non-signed up member of lots of them here.

One of them is the popular "I always would but it's ok because I never would for checkpoints" Brigade, a major tactical military formation that is typically composed of three to six battalions plus supporting elements.

(dictionary explanation of "Brigade")

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yes of course I do, I'm not a fooking asshole.

Ah, knew it, here's the 'I'm not a fooking asshole' brigade now.

Edit... you're probably in a real brigade. Or were at least. Either way, you are now.

Patww79 wrote: »

Yep. I'm one of those 'heroes'. Except I don't think of myself as a 'hero', I think of myself as just generally decent.

I always flash for GoSafe because they're a load of my ass. Hidden at the bottom of hills, behind bushes, etc. they're like a parody of a speed van company at times (though I acknowledge they do use reasonable spots, too, at times).

I never flash for checkpoints because anyone that's avoiding a checkpoint generally has a reason for not wanting to come to Garda attention.

I have no sympathy if you're drunk or not insured and get caught. I do have sympathy if you're fined, insurance hiked and points because you did 90 in an 80.

I always make extra-sure to flash vans, taxis, trucks and buses, as they're the poor cnuts that are generally on the road all day, under pressure, and more likely to wander over the limit to stick to barely-realistic schedules.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rodders999

Course I do, because it’s us against the man. If you flash and help a comrade out then you’re one of us, if you don’t then you’re just working for the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I never flash for checkpoints because anyone that's avoiding a checkpoint generally has a reason for not wanting to come to Garda attention.

That reason can be something as simple as being unable to afford to immediately renew their motor tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Yet there is alot of drivers than can be 'speeding' and not get caught because they have common sense and driving skills

rodders999 wrote: »
    Course I do, because it’s us against the man. If you flash and help a comrade out then you’re one of us, if you don’t then you’re just working for the man.

Communist brigade.

(sounds better than the 'it’s us against the man' brigade)

• Advertisement

That reason can be something as simple as being unable to afford to immediately renew their motor tax.

If you don't renew it 'immediately' you'll still generally be fine at a checkpoint. Unless it's out a short while they won't pass any remarks.

Advertisement