Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you flash lights at other drivers to warn them of speed vans?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Yes for vans, no for checkpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,263 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Most definitely yes. Those speed vans are simply a money grabbing racket, not interested in road safety at all.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

topper75 wrote: »
    It's all expressed best through the medium of the Erse:

Tóg é go bog é
    Glac é go réidh
    Tóg é go bog é
    Is ná bí ag troid leat féin

Ah jaysus, get that foreign stuff out of here dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I always flash, but not my lights

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Masala

Most definitely yes. Those speed vans are simply a money grabbing racket, not interested in road safety at all.

Yep..... scamming hard working people already paying thru the nose to the Government for fuel taxes, NCT charges, Insurance levies, motor tax, excessive VRT and if I can spare some poor sod forking out €80 + points on licence + another excuse to hike the poor sod's insurance on renewal.. then YES i certainly will flash!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Yes of course. To all the people who vote no with 'they should be following the law'. You bunch of miserable feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yes of course. To all the people who vote no with 'they should be following the law'. You bunch of miserable feckers.

A shining example where rules are only there to be bent. Kind of a microcosm of what's wrong with the country.

And I'm VERY happy to be so in this case.

But then, I know someone who died because of some irresponsible **** speeding to be home early for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,339 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

There is a speed van parked at my house. During the 1990's to early 2000's there was a lot of fatal accidents at the spot.
    When the council eventually widened the road and put in proper traffic islands etc
    The accidents stopped apart from one lady having a heart attack. There is still a speed van located here tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

poll needs a 'sometimes if I'm feeling benevolent towards other humans' option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

A shining example where rules are only there to be bent. Kind of a microcosm of what's wrong with the country.

yes, because the cutting back of garda funds and resources whilst subcontracting out the enforcement of speeding to a private company is a shining beacon of all thats right with the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

yes, because the cutting back of garda funds and resources whilst subcontracting out the enforcement of speeding to a private company is a shining beacon of all thats right with the country.

I doubt that's what's going through most peoples' mind whilst doing that; more "fcuking speed vans...hurr durr"

A blow agin' the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I flash them even if there isn't any sign of a speed van around

Yeah, especially if they're bombing it!

I love the smell of heavy braking in the morning!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Yes, always. I've benefited from it in the past, so it would seem pretty miserable not to extend the courtesy to others. It's the adult equivalent of shouting "sketch!" when there's a teacher on the way. If you knowingly fail to warn other drivers, you're essentially no better than a common grass.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Yes, always. I've benefited from it in the past, so it would seem pretty miserable not to extend the courtesy to others. It's the adult equivalent of shouting "sketch!" when there's a teacher on the way. If you knowingly fail to warn other drivers, you're essentially no better than a common grass.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm not going to enable the behavior of **** who break the law. You warn them of speed vans and it won't stop them speeding. If they get caught and a fine/points, they might think twice.

Speed limits are there for a reason, it's not that hard to follow them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Would always was other drivers of speed vans but not checkpoints.
    I got added to a page on Facebook called traffic watch Meath and Westmeaath and people always posting where checkpoints were and Garda cars driving around and somehow they know where the drug squad are.
    I don't agree with this page at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Yes for 'safety vans'

What a load of crap that designation is

Revenue generating vans is all that they are

Lot of them are in areas that just want to catch motorists not at dangerous junctions/where accidents happen etc

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Revenue generating vans is all that they are

I really don't care. I've never been charged because of them. Neither has anyone in my family. You could just keep within the limits, and not be bothered by them.
    Lot of them are in areas that just want to catch motorists not at dangerous junctions/where accidents happen etc

Accidents can happen anywhere.

It's not as if Ireland was a massive country. Do some proper planning, and compensate for the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,339 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I really don't care. I've never been charged because of them. Neither has anyone in my family. You could just keep within the limits, and not be bothered by them.

How do you know this?
    Do the RSA write to you when a family member get penalty points?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

I always flash for police/scamera vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Would always was other drivers of speed vans but not checkpoints.
    I got added to a page on Facebook called traffic watch Meath and Westmeaath and people always posting where checkpoints were and Garda cars driving around and somehow they know where the drug squad are.
    I don't agree with this page at all.

I don't think you can just get added to a facebook page. You can also unfollow it if you want.

They wouldn't know in advance where anyone was. They rely on people informing them and then the update the page afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I used to flash people but not anymore.

If you are driving too fast or poor observation skills then you deserve whats coming to you. Too many useless cnuts on the roads these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

I do in revenue generating spots, never in built up areas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭facehugger99

If a driver flashes me to warm me about a speed trap I give them the finger as they drive past me while mouthing the word ‘w@nker’

Always confuses them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yes, I do.

Never flash for checkpoints though.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dexter_morgan

About 2 years ago, while driving home from work, a car pulled out in front of me. After observing his driving for a minute I could tell he was piddled. I knew the man and but I called the Gardai anyway and reported him. Stayed on the phone with them the whole time giving them his location. Straight stretch of road and some prick coming towards us starts flashing his lights. Drunk man does a U-turn on the road. Anyway, when I get around the turn the Guards are pulled over on the side of the road. I tell them he has done a u-turn and they take off after him. He was prosecuted and put off the road for 4 years I think. It wasn't his first time being caught drunk driving. Reported the flasher also but not sure if anything was done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Depends on where the speed van is and the type of road. For instance the one on the belgard road , definitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Yes I do.

I also pull over into the hard shoulder if there's cars behind me to let them pass. I let other cars out of side turns, zip merge, give cyclists as much room as I can and make sure to thank other motorists who extend similar courtesies to me.

It's called courteous driving. Try it some time.

An excellent posting name, although arguably the "-badger" part is surplus to requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

I really hope that some day you will be appropriately rewarded for your good deed.

Advertisement