Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They're Alive!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,219 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Just thinking and wondering if they brought down footage on a phone of the boys who made it out. Might calm down any one who was panicky about the ordeal ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Just thinking and wondering if they brought down footage on a phone of the boys who made it out. Might calm down any one who was panicky about the ordeal ahead.

I'm sure they told them they made it out. They were being trained how to dive so I suspect when the time came they were ready for action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

It's morning in Chiang Rai and it's bucketed down all night. Today's might not be quite as easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The rescue has restarted this morning & they are planning to bring the remaining boys & their coach out today. Apparently an Australian doctor is giving them sedatives before they dive to reduce any risk of panic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

We will celebrate'
    The Thai Navy Seals have confirmed that today's mission will take longer than usual, but say they remain hopeful the operation will end today, saying everyone would "celebrate together

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

With all this rain the weakests boy will have the toughest journey, no?
    Please let them all out safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    With all this rain the weakests boy will have the toughest journey, no?
    Please let them all out safely.

I think that it will go smoothly. They have a well worked routine & it will only take longer because they have an extra person plus the doctor & rescuers that have been staying with the boys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Discodog wrote: »
    The rescue has restarted this morning & they are planning to bring the remaining boys & their coach out today. Apparently an Australian doctor is giving them sedatives before they dive to reduce any risk of panic.

I'd be worried about that. Saw a special on that on N24 here last night and several diving experts said it would be better if the boys were alert and able to react to the situation.
    If they are sedated and not fully alert, they might not be able to react quickly enough to difficult situations.
    I would tend to agree with that and I hope the boys aren't too stoned when they're being taken out.
    But so far everyone has made it (apart from the unfortunate diver RIP), so they're doing it right it would appear.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

CNN had an extensive weather report on the area just now. 
    There was some rainfall overnight, but currently the days forecast is for sunny spells, although that heat can create its own rain accumulation. And as others have pointed out rain storms can appear quite quickly.
    But for now the onsite reports the weather looks good, with some wet underfoot from the overnight rain.
    All in all they have been lucky. 
    Rainfall July 1-9 2018 has only been 20mm , in the same period in 2017 it was 130mm  and has even been upto 200mm in 2015. 
    So far the rains have not been as intensive as normal. 
    But further rain is forecast for Wed and Thur, so today really looks like the last chance in this weather window.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Buddhaspeed then surely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

Prayers! I'm a bit worried about the use of sedatives on the boys. Hopes it works out perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I'd be worried about that. Saw a special on that on N24 here last night and several diving experts said it would be better if the boys were alert and able to react to the situation.
    If they are sedated and not fully alert, they might not be able to react quickly enough to difficult situations.
    I would tend to agree with that and I hope the boys aren't too stoned when they're being taken out.
    But so far everyone has made it (apart from the unfortunate diver RIP), so they're doing it right it would appear.

Probably a balancing act, if they're too panicky then they'll eat through their oxygen and, although they've seeded the place with spare tanks, running low on oxygen in a cave system is never good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭ebbsy

ebbsy wrote: »
    He was never going to get the equipment there in time.

Fair play to Musk for trying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Read this twitter thread this morning: Gives good insight to the difficulties faced and facing the final rescues.

https://twitter.com/Where_is_Puff/status/1016112164418015232

(Click on the tweet and it should bring you to the full thread of tweets)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

acai berry wrote: »
    Prayers! I'm a bit worried about the use of sedatives on the boys. Hopes it works out perfectly.

Why are people worried about the sedatives. They just calm them down not dope them out entirely.

I'm sure the people who prescribed them (if true) know what they're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

....... wrote: »

That would surely be both impractical and undesirable. Cave systems exist because river water dissolves limestone rocks and flows underground. You can't just wave a magic wand and block a river! Even if you put a large grill over the main entrance, this would surely gather flood debris etc. Besides which cave systems often have several entry points.

And anyway would you also block off every cave, fence all cliffs and put razor wire on beaches.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why are people worried about the sedatives. They just calm them down not dope them out entirely.

Well, that's exactly the worry. Personally if I was making a life or death escape from an underground cave, I woule like to be alert and not the equivalent of 10 pints. :)
    But as you said, the people who prescribe them are probably very aware of this and use an appropriate dose. Balancing act and so on.
    The motto of this rescue mission has been "caution above everything else" and it certainly drove me nuts at the beginning, but what they do is working like a charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SwimFin

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

murpho999 wrote: »

And prescribed by professionals who know far more than we do about the balance of dosage in children

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

have conditions improved so much that they only have to scuba a small amount?.... curious to know how much of the cave they had to scuba back through

• Registered Users Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I'm thinking that the coach will actually be the toughest one to get out because he's bigger than the boys and maybe weaker. Probably more likely to panic too. The thoughts of having to go through that make my throat close up with terror.

Fingers crossed the rest of the rescue goes well.

jobless wrote: »
    have conditions improved so much that they only have to scuba a small amount?.... curious to know how much of the cave they had to scuba back through

Someone else here said 30 metres of diving but I'm skeptical it could be so little. It's not that conditions have improved, they just haven't gotten much worse and they've been pumping out water the entire time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭josip

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I'm thinking that the coach will actually be the toughest one to get out because he's bigger than the boys and maybe weaker. Probably more likely to panic too. The thoughts of having to go through that make my throat close up with terror.

Fingers crossed the rest of the rescue goes well.

Coach trained to be a Buddhist monk I think and used meditation with the boys to help them survive the first 9 days.
    I wouldn't expect him to panic.

#10 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well, that's exactly the worry. Personally if I was making a life or death escape from an underground cave, I woule like to be alert and not the equivalent of 10 pints. :)
    But as you said, the people who prescribe them are probably very aware of this and use an appropriate dose. Balancing act and so on.
    The motto of this rescue mission has been "caution above everything else" and it certainly drove me nuts at the beginning, but what they do is working like a charm.

Mild sedatives will just calm their nerves not make them dopey.

I've been given them before surgery and been fine, they just take an edge off you.

Advertisement