Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They're Alive!!!

Options

Comments

blackcard wrote: »
    Is that confirmed that the weakest went first? I saw another report that the strongest were taken out first

During the rescue yesterday, it was reported that it was the weakest first.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Bainneban

I originally read weakest first and then today I read strongest first.....hard to say really. If the strongest came out first it would give weaker more time to practice possibly but unlikely the case.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Is that confirmed that the weakest went first? I saw another report that the strongest were taken out first

Probably a lot lost in translation as well.

As i read that they took the ones who were most ready first.
    Which makes sense as none of them could swim, they had to learn how to "dive". So the ones who picked that up the fastest go first and give the others more practice time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Poochie05 wrote: »
    CNN reporting that operations are stopped for the day to allow divers to rest and depleted oxygen levels in the cave to recover.

I know that 21% oxygen is optimal and that levels had dropped to 15% where the boys are a few days ago. Have levels dropped further? At what level do things become critical?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Reati wrote: »
    Did they somehow interfere with the rescue?

Any risks to the rescue in any way should be avoided.

People and media were asked to leave the scene due to the complexity of the rescue.Drones flying over an Emergency scene or media listening in on confidential recordings are only getting in the way

The Authorites felt it was negative enough to comment on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I know that 21% oxygen is optimal and that levels had dropped to 15% where the boys are a few days ago. Have levels dropped further? At what level do things become critical?

12% I think.

I'm pretty sure though I remember reading somewhere they were taking steps to improve the air quality in the cave.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

Isn't that called a 'draegar' or something?

I heard they can be really dangerous to use. I've heard some horror stories regarding them.

Normally just called a rebreather or closed-circuit rebreather. Draeger is a brand name i.e. like hoover is a type of vacuum cleaner.

Rebreathers certainly need extra training to use above normal (open circuit) scuba gear and would not be the 1st choice for rescues in this situation.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Page down a bit on the sky feed and you can see a truck arriving from BIGTH.COM with many gas tanks on board...  BIGTH just happen to by Thai's largest producer of compressed gas products all to a high quality.  So it aint just local compressors they are relying on. 
    https://news.sky.com/story/live-race-to-save-boys-trapped-in-thai-cave-11428960
    Demonstrating theres a few hundred people involved at all sorts of levels and capacities in getting this sort of logistical effort to work. 
    Looks to have been a dry day in the region, I didnt see a puddle or drop of rain indicating a recent fall in any of the broadcasts today. Id hope the pumps were still operating during the rescue , and this can only help tomorrows push.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »

Ahhh wasnt one little lad looking for fried chicken.

Bless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭HappySerious

8 out now...really hope they are all ok and make it to see World cup final in person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Giblet wrote: »
    He certainly did more than most of the commentators.

He did the exact same as most of us, nothing.

Only difference being we didn't pretend to do anything, but his pr stunt probably gained him a few more twitter followers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

riemann wrote: »

Only difference being we didn't pretend to do anything, but his pr stunt probably gained him a few more twitter followers.

Jesus you must have some hard-on for the lad, I just saw his submarine, and concluded "Yep, that's something alright".

Did he not offer and send the support of his (highly qualified) engineers to assist?

This rescue has involved all that is positive in the world any ANYONE who helped in ANY small way is to be highly commended.

It is a positive story and shows what can be achieved through Teamwork goodwill and support, without negativity, backstabbing and bitching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

....... wrote: »

Apparently they have to be fed very carefully, and gradually, rather than living like a king.....

I somehow doubt they'll be able to go to the WCF on Sunday.......they'll be in hospital for a bit and family members can't even touch them at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭ebbsy

3 more British divers have arrived, the others must be in bits at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Great news

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭blackcard

ebbsy wrote: »

What is the length of the working day of the divers? Do they go in and out on the same day? How do they manage for food? Surely all 5 remaining in the cave will be rescued tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-weldoninhio's thread ban lifted. Please don't report him/her when they post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I really don't know how those kids were able to go through with the diving involved in getting out. They must be made of some stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,107 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Ipso wrote: »
    I really don't know how those kids were able to go through with the diving involved in getting out. They must be made of some stuff.

Definetely .But they also have youth on their side which gives them the edge as they do not anticipate danger as much as still have a youthful sense of invincibility . Well done to all the boys for being brave and trusting the rescuers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

If I had one wish today it would be that when I wake tomorrow I read that all 5 remaining got out safely, and those who have assisted in any way also return safely to their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭Nermal

Ipso wrote: »

The pumping appears to have cut the diving distance to 30m horizontally. It's still an amazing feat to bring an untrained child safely through that. When I heard initial reports of multi-hour dives I thought they didn't have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭ebbsy

ebbsy wrote: »

What is the length of the working day of the divers? Do they go in and out on the same day? How do they manage for food? Surely all 5 remaining in the cave will be rescued tomorrow?

Well they have to go get the kids and then come back. Remember one of them will be carrying the kids tank as well.

I would say tomorrow will finish it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

Getting to the ledge seems like a day's work for the divers and then coming out with the children seems like another day's work - all in one day. It's amazing.

Hopefully tomorrow will finsh it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

6ab4d171f13060e2d68a556a2902843b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I haven't went through the whole thread, so this may already have been said.

But those divers involved in the rescue must be singularly the bravest people in the world right now.

I've seen all sorts of bravery, but nothing comes close to this. I'm blown away by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

They should never have to put their hands in their pocket for a drink again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

I haven't went through the whole thread, so this may already have been said.

But those divers involved in the rescue must be singularly the bravest people in the world right now.

I've seen all sorts of bravery, but nothing comes close to this. I'm blown away by it.

Well put, Tomas Crashing Seesaw! Considering a life has been lost already, it emphasises how much these guys are putting their own lives at risk. The physical endurance they must have to go through during these lengthy rescues, is beyond words. Once they dive in, they must keep going for hours and hours, until mission accomplished, as there is no turning back or being rescued themselves. Truly, they must be the bravest in the world.

Advertisement