Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They're Alive!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    The parents don't blame him and they know more about the situation than you do.

So what?

Rescuers rescue, other people judge. There are numerous examples of idiots taking absolutely stupid risks, going to see in bad weather, without life jackets or even a safe vessel. People go up mountains without proper clothing or equipment and then cause rescue missions. I said he deserves to be left there to die but of course he won't be. A number of people will risk their own lives to try and get out and will probably succeed.

Would you mind explaining what exactly he did wrong here? I'm interested in what has inspired such barbarism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Would you mind explaining what exactly he did wrong here? I'm interested in what has inspired such barbarism.

He went deep into caves with a group of schoolboys. He didn't take account of the local conditions. It was a highly irresponsible thing for any adult to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

That coach deserves to be left there. It would serve as an example to other people not to go into situations like that. The rescue services are having to put their own lives at risk because of idiots like him.

Mod: Well, aren't you lovely.

Don't post in this thread again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

I hear that there may be another monsoon on the way in Thailand, and they still need to get out the last 4 kids so they're calling the world's greatest diver or something

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

11th person rescued, and based on yesterdays timeline, this surely means the other people are well along on the route and should soon be free. 
    Not to prioritise them but when I hear the coach is out safe and sound, I will be extra happy.  Fingers crossed, cmon rescuers .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

He went deep into caves with a group of schoolboys. He didn't take account of the local conditions. It was a highly irresponsible thing for any adult to do.

You don't know what happened.

They went deep into caves to get away from advancing waters.

You also don't know if some of the lads just went too far and he went after them.

Either way, your reasoning stinks. You don't punish people for making mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

He's also just 25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Last boy and the coach are in 1st chamber apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

....... wrote: »

Presumably there are 2 navy seals assisting the last child and 1 assisting the coach.

So when we hear the coach and last kid are out there will only be the doc left?

Or were there other navy seals assisting and the 3 earlier mentioned were inside the cave with the kids and coach?[/quote]
    Im like the rest of you and just speculating, the reports I saw said  there were 3 SEALS and a Doctor who were staying overnight and throughout the ordeal with the kids.  
    I suppose we get all these questions answered after the operation. 
    Epic rescue nonetheless and numerous brave people coming to the fore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

jobless wrote: »
    Im surprised Musk didnt suggest they build a hyperloop and transport the kids from the cave to LA in under 5 hours. 
    Enough about Musk and his hare brained schemes. 

Lets get back to real heroes and real engineering

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

jobless wrote: »

It was a good idea and may be helpful in other scenarios, but I guess that thing wouldn't fit through the narrow passages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The divers who found them at the start...they kept on going with no idea how far they had to go or would they even find them.

Amazing people.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm pretty sure that the doctor is also a Navy Seal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

At the time that Musk & co. began designing and building the inflatable and rigid transport pods, it wasn't clear whether diving would be viable. One of the options being examined was whether it was viable to keep the children supplied few months until the rainy season stopped and waters subsided. At the time the pumping operation wasn't going well, there were real fears the entire complex would end up flooding, and it was built in consultation with the rescue team to provide a possible option.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭josip

It was a good idea and may be helpful in other scenarios, but I guess that thing wouldn't fit through the narrow passages.

Not to derail the thread Dr, but if the thing couldn't fit through narrow passageways, how could it be considered a good idea?

I'm open minded about Musk's motives, he may not have been consciously looking for publicity and was genuinely trying to help.
    But his whole life has been spent trying to generate free publicity for his various enterprises so it should not be any surprise that people are suspicious of his motives.

iguana wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that the doctor is also a Navy Seal.

To be precise, I believe he graduated from the course, but isn't an active member of a unit, normally working in a military hospital.

• Advertisement

ectoraige wrote: »
    At the time that Musk & co. began designing and building the inflatable and rigid transport pods, it wasn't clear whether diving would be viable. One of the options being examined was whether it was viable to keep the children supplied few months until the rainy season stopped and waters subsided. At the time the pumping operation wasn't going well, there were real fears the entire complex would end up flooding, and it was built in consultation with the rescue team to provide a possible option.

I cant see why people have a problem with him helping. As you said when he started designing this the talks of supplying them with food for 4 months was still going around. To have that built and everything in 2 days was fantastic, if they had to stay there for a prolonged period of time this would have given them another option to rescue the lads, how people can begrudge him for that is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

"Dear rain Gods of Thailand, remember when I prayed to you for no rain!? Well could you send your rain from Thailand over to Ireland please.... Because the water people of my Country have lowered the pressure in my area and now my bloódy shower wont work properly AMEN"
    :)

Reports of 12th boy in the main entrance to the cave with the coach right behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭blackcard

How did they manage with food prior to being found? Sanitary conditions must have been bad

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It's such a relief they've been rescued especially as there were talks of having to leave them there for months. Hope they all make a swift recovery. Is the last of them out now? I was only reading it was the coach and a few kids this morning and now that seems to be old news already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

blackcard wrote: »
    How did they manage with food prior to being found? Sanitary conditions must have been bad

We'll probably only find out this kind of detail when the movie comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭josip

I suppose with no food there wouldn't have been much waste after the first couple of days.
    But preventing contamination of their water supply would have been important.

josip wrote: »
    Not to derail the thread Dr, but if the thing couldn't fit through narrow passageways, how could it be considered a good idea?

I'm open minded about Musk's motives, he may not have been consciously looking for publicity and was genuinely trying to help.
    But his whole life has been spent trying to generate free publicity for his various enterprises so it should not be any surprise that people are suspicious of his motives.

Other than twitter users, nobody said it didn't fit through the passageway. It is 31cm wide, and the choke point is 38cm. What was said was it wasn't practical for their rescue plan, that doesn't mean it wasn't a viable option, it just means the rescuers were more comfortable with another method. And even if it didn't prove viable, you can't really tell until you test it. It was an idea being considered, and eventually ruled out. I really don't understand the hate.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

bluewolf wrote: »
    It's such a relief they've been rescued especially as there were talks of having to leave them there for months. Hope they all make a swift recovery. Is the last of them out now? I was only reading it was the coach and a few kids this morning and now that seems to be old news already

The 11th person came out of the cave about half an hour ago. Presumably there is one boy, the coach and the rescue and medical personal still to come.

• Advertisement

It was one of the children's birthdays, they visited the cave to celebrate his birthday and had brought a load of treats and snacks with them. Knowing teenagers, they were probably pretty high-calorie snacks. The coach had also studied as a monk and apparently had the children meditating which would have lowered their energy requirements.

Advertisement