Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They're Alive!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

They had torches. They also had good BMI scores. It struck me as soon as I seen the video of them. I said them lads will survive they all have robust immune systems.

Ehh? People can have underlying defects while still having a good BMI. And if they hadn’t been found the higher your BMI obviously the longer you can hold on.
    Christ the people patting themselves on the back here is like watching Donald Trump tweeting out.

Also so far only 4 are out. I had thought it was 6 but obviously the media jumped the gun.
    Fingers crossed the rain holds off today and allows more of them to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

It appears you're right.

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/pressure-depth-in-a-cave.164988/page-6

"If you are still not convinced, consider the point 33ft down from the cave system entrance. The pressure there is certainly 2 ATA. If the pressure at C were anything other than 2 ATA there would be a pressure differential and the cave system would become an underwater river. For the system to be in equilibrium, point C MUST be at 2 ATA."

But I'll look at it more tomorrow so I actually get it properly instead of just believing.

They must have had great fun way back until they figured it out

Pascal made some vases of different shapes and joined them together

Pascal's Vases :

yhPtKQP.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,862 ✭✭✭✭anewme

They had torches. They also had good BMI scores. It struck me as soon as I seen the video of them. I said them lads will survive they all have robust immune systems.

Robust

BMI

Just can't deal.:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Just a heart breaking story! Imagine seeing your child coming back out of the cave..after waiting two weeks, if it seems surreal to some randomers on the internet thousands of miles away I can't imagine

So lucky the boys left their shoes outside the cave..what would have happened if they had worn them inside..theyd just be some strange disappearance mystery story,nobody would have the slightest clue what happened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

The press briefing has now finished. Here’s what we learned:

• The rescue operation to extract more boys began on Monday at 11am (5am BST). The same divers who went in on Sunday have been called upon again, but there are no reports on their progress.

• Officials said that conditions were as good as they were on Sunday, when the first four boys were extracted. They said that the rain yesterday did not affect water levels inside the cave.

• Officials suggested that the stronger boys would be rescued first and that they could emerge between 7.30pm and 8.30pm local time.

• Authorities complained about some of yesterday’s media coverage, saying a drone was flown above the operation. They also claimed media outlets listened to police radio reports.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2018/jul/09/thai-cave-rescue-resumes-to-free-eight-boys-and-coach-still-trapped-latest-news

• Consideration is also being made about whether parents should be allowed to see the boys who have already been rescued, potentially through a glass door. There must be no physical contact with the boys until the results of blood tests come back. The four boys in hospital are asking to eat pad kra pao (Thai basil chicken).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,862 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Yester wrote: »
    The press briefing has now finished. Here’s what we learned:

• Authorities complained about some of yesterday’s media coverage, saying a drone was flown above the operation. They also claimed media outlets listened to police radio reports.

Should be severely fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

wakka12 wrote: »
    Just a heart breaking story! Imagine seeing your child coming back out of the cave..after waiting two weeks, if it seems surreal to some randomers on the internet thousands of miles away I can't imagine

So lucky the boys left their shoes outside the cave..what would have happened if they had worn them inside..theyd just be some strange disappearance mystery story,nobody would have the slightest clue what happened

They had bikes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Yester wrote: »

• Consideration is also being made about whether parents should be allowed to see the boys who have already been rescued, potentially through a glass door. There must be no physical contact with the boys until the results of blood tests come back. The four boys in hospital are asking to eat pad kra pao (Thai basil chicken).

Bloodtests? Are they worried they may have picked up something contagious?

I guess it's a good sign if they're hungry

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

wexie wrote: »
    Bloodtests? Are they worried they may have picked up something contagious?

I guess it's a good sign if they're hungry

Bloodtest would be a standard medical test.

They could be testing how their own resistance levels are as they may have lowered in the cave due to nutrition deficiencies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

Sky, quoting Reuters, are reporting that in the last ten minutes someone has been removed from the cave by stretcher...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

wheres the best place to get live updates on this story?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Thanks for the updates everyone, they are much appreciated. 
    What a story , remarkable boys, remarkable rescuers , remarkable nation. We could all learn a few things from this, I know I have. 

Im forcing my kids to watch and follow the events, hoping they get some perspective on their 'first world' problems and also understand that the real heroes in life are the normal folk who live on your street but who do extraordinary jobs to a extraordinary level. And in fairness they are picking it up and the youngest (aged 7) is counting on her fingers tracking whos out and how many are left. 
    Fingers crossed today goes as well as yesterday , one of the dangers now is the energy level of the rescuers, adrenaline is wearing out and their bodies must be suffering physically and mentaly.  Thoughts and prayers are with them , c'mon you can do it just one more day, one more big push.

Looking at the live outside broadcasts reporting it seems to be a super sunny day in that region, no sign of rain which will aid the rescue.
    Reports are saying that all the parents are staying together at the cave supporting each other until the last boy is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

oh boy, their coach is in big trouble :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

https://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/7471289/6157cac2/reddingsoperatie_thaise_grot.html

Might have bene posted before but i thought it informative.

Nr 5 is out and 3 others are in "chamber3" and have passed what is considered to be the most dangerous\difficult part.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭obi604

murfilein wrote: »
    oh boy, their coach is in big trouble :D

How do you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Looking at the live outside broadcasts reporting it seems to be a super sunny day in that region, no sign of rain which will aid the rescue.

That doesnt really mean anything in thailand at this time of year. It can go from sunny to literally bucketing down in minutes.

....... wrote: »

This is running much faster than yesterday.[/quote]
    Yes, they will have done a number of dry land simulations, plus a number of recreations of the process in the cave in the last few days before they even attempted yesterdays rescue. So todays rescue is to some degree a re-run of a well drilled process, but thats not to down play how complex the process is. Its still as dangerous as ever, just they are operating more fluidly.

And with familiarity they must guard against over-confidence. 
    I expect the rescuers are living by the motto if they dont get one of the trapped people out alive then its been a failure.
    I would not say or think that but I think the rescuers see it that way, its one of the things that makes them special.

That doesnt really mean anything in thailand at this time of year. It can go from sunny to literally bucketing down in minutes.

Yes, but then they would have signs of rain, which they're saying they don't have today.

inforfun wrote: »
    Nr 5 is out and 3 others are in "chamber3" and have passed what is considered to be the most dangerous\difficult part.

And 1 other is between that chamber 3 and the exit according to cbs

https://twitter.com/NESTA_US/status/1015620386598223877

I get claustrophobic looking at that.

And the reason the ones rescued yesterday are kept away from their parents is too make sure they dont catch infections and stuff like that.

The bends come from the pressure caused by the weight of the water above you. I doubt it applies in caves.

Not fully true. It comes from ascending too fast so it depends on what depths they have to dive to.

Either way the divers will be able to look after this, it's basic training to control the rate of ascent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

anewme wrote: »
    Should be severely fined.

Did they somehow interfere with the rescue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

The experience they've gained yesterday is bound to stand to them. Also the fact that the "weakest" went first and now they are dealing with "stronger" kids. That should speed things up. Is it too much to hope they might all be out by end of today?

Probably getting fresh ozyvgen supplies there will be a factor that may hinder that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes, but then they would have signs of rain, which they're saying they don't have today.

As someone who has been caught in a shower in thailand during the rainy i can tell you that it really does come out of nowhere. And by shower i dont mean the piddly things we get in ireland. I mean soaked to the skin in under a minute type of showers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

acai berry wrote: »
    Probably getting fresh ozyvgen supplies there will be a factor that may hinder that.

With an operation like that with so many divers onsite I'd be shocked if there weren't one or multiple compressors there to fill the tanks as they go.
    It's not hugely complicated machinery that's needed to do this.

Advertisement