Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They're Alive!!!

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

good interview on BBC GMT with one of the Dutch divers, only caught the tail end, but he emphasised that 'complacency' is now their enemy. He said they need to treat todays rescue as if it were the first day with the same sense of caution.

Reports indicate 1 doctor and 3 Thai Seals had been staying in the cave with the boys, so all in all thats 9 people (4 boys, 1 coach, 1 doctor and 3 seals) that they need to get out of the cave as well as all the rescuers, thats quite a lot on this last day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

The last lad out is going to have a lot of oxygen tanks to haul with him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Someone else here said 30 metres of diving but I'm skeptical it could be so little. It's not that conditions have improved, they just haven't gotten much worse and they've been pumping out water the entire time.

yeah 30ms seems very little.... cant wait to read the rescuers stories

There is a film in this for sure.
    30m might sound very little but it might be the part they are actually fully submerged in water - for the rest, it could be waist/chest/shoulder high and they are wading through it......just my tuppence.
    It is simply an incredible achievement to get them all out, credit to all the seals and expert divers who risked life and limb to get them out.
    I heard somewhere that the 1 who died was advised not to go into the cave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

murpho999 wrote: »
    Mild sedatives will just calm their nerves not make them dopey.

I've been given them before surgery and been fine, they just take an edge off you.

I think they have already proved that their decisions are the best.

Discodog wrote: »
    I think they have already proved that their decisions are the best.

Absolutely, and they didn't even need Elon Musk's contraption!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

jobless wrote: »
    yeah 30ms seems very little.... cant wait to read the rescuers stories

Might be the size of the pockets to squeeze through that makes it so hazardous and time consuming. So 30m might be right. We will soon find out.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Well, that's exactly the worry. Personally if I was making a life or death escape from an underground cave, I woule like to be alert and not the equivalent of 10 pints. :)
    But as you said, the people who prescribe them are probably very aware of this and use an appropriate dose. Balancing act and so on.
    The motto of this rescue mission has been "caution above everything else" and it certainly drove me nuts at the beginning, but what they do is working like a charm.
    People differ. It it was me, I know I'd be taking as many pills as they'd give me. I've started to panic just watching some of those videos. No exaggaration. My breath quickens, I feel dizzy and my stomach starts lurching. I absolutely 100% would panic and get stuck at the narrow part if I didn't have some sort of sedative.

• Advertisement

jobless wrote: »
    have conditions improved so much that they only have to scuba a small amount?.... curious to know how much of the cave they had to scuba back through
    I read yesterday that because of pumping out water, the time it took divers to reach the boys was reduced from 6 to 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I'm thinking that the coach will actually be the toughest one to get out because he's bigger than the boys and maybe weaker. Probably more likely to panic too. The thoughts of having to go through that make my throat close up with terror.

Fingers crossed the rest of the rescue goes well.

That coach deserves to be left there. It would serve as an example to other people not to go into situations like that. The rescue services are having to put their own lives at risk because of idiots like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

This
    ebbsy wrote: »
    Fair play to Musk for trying something.

Not this
    Absolutely, and they didn't even need Elon Musk's contraption!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

That coach deserves to be left there. It would serve as an example to other people not to go into situations like that. The rescue services are having to put their own lives at risk because of idiots like him.

Oh be quiet

....... wrote: »

That's exactly what that coach should do.

But the kids were going in whether he was going or not. Without him, and his former monk history teaching them how to meditate, be calm, etc, they might not have survived.

People go into caves all the time and 99.99% of the time the come back out the way they went in.

Presumably he is also very good to these boys if he gives up his time to coach them at football.....you know no more about him than any of us do.

Give the lad a break!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

#youtoo

By dying as you've suggested? You're a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Surely your trolling??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

As someone is is a volunteer rescuer, people with your attitude disgust me.

We are not there to judge those who need help or the actions of those who are in trouble. People can end up in all kinds of situations. It's easy to cast stones from behind your keyboard. We are there to help save their lives and that's what we do. We the shout comes - we go. No Matter why that person in in that situation. In fact, even though your views are disgusting, I'd even rescue you if the shout came.

If a law has been broken, the system will hold them to account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

9th child safely out!

Reati wrote: »
    As someone is is a volunteer rescuer, people with your attitude disgust me.

We are not there to judge those who need help or the actions of those who are in trouble. People can end up in all kinds of situations. It's easy to cast stones from behind your keyboard. We are there to help save their lives and that's what we do. We the shout comes - we go. No Matter why that person in in that situation. In fact, even though your views are disgusting, I'd even rescue you if the shout came.

If a law has been broken, the system will hold them to account.

Rescuers rescue, other people judge. There are numerous examples of idiots taking absolutely stupid risks, going to see in bad weather, without life jackets or even a safe vessel. People go up mountains without proper clothing or equipment and then cause rescue missions. I said he deserves to be left there to die but of course he won't be. A number of people will risk their own lives to try and get out and will probably succeed.

The parents don't blame him and they know more about the situation than you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

....... wrote: »
    1 kid, the coach, a doctor and 3 navy seals to go.

Twist ending. The doctor is Gary Glitter.

Serious though, this has turned into a great story. Absolutely amazing work by the rescue teams.

All Eyes On Rafah

Advertisement