Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They're Alive!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

wexie wrote: »
    With an operation like that with so many divers onsite I'd be shocked if there weren't one or multiple compressors there to fill the tanks as they go.

Probably - but it did give reports on News media last night that getting fresh oxygen there was a big problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

As someone who has been caught in a shower in thailand during the rainy i can tell you that it really does come out of nowhere. And by shower i dont mean the piddly things we get in ireland. I mean soaked to the skin in under a minute type of showers.

I know, you're not the only person who's traveled to Thailand.

They can run models to assess the likelihood of rain with reasonable accuracy nowadays.

....... wrote: »
    Brilliant!

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Looking at the live outside broadcasts reporting it seems to be a super sunny day in that region, no sign of rain which will aid the rescue.
    Reports are saying that all the parents are staying together at the cave supporting each other until the last boy is out.

That is so lovely. They are a great bunch of people. Impossible not to admire them.

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »

Fab! They were reporting 4 out around this time yesterday (our time), so it's not moving exceptionally fast today - or so it seems. At least it's looking that they are doing everything to keep everybody safe.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Possibly down to the last 6, if not less .  So do they push the equipment and the rescuers to the limit and try to get all out today or do they rest regroup and go again tomorrow and risk weather impact.
    I wonder are any of the rescuers going to spend what is possibly the  last night in the cave with the boys.
    With fewer in the cave I expect those left behind will find it tougher mentally as they look about and see their friends are not about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Radio 1 saying an 8th out now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

murpho999 wrote: »
    I know, you're not the only person who's traveled to Thailand.

They can run models to assess the likelihood of rain with reasonable accuracy nowadays.

Jeeeeez
    I dont think he was implying that he was the only person on the planet to travel to Thailand.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭ebbsy

With the same divers performing the mission each time it is important that they rest. They also know the procedure as well, so new people are not guessing what is going on.

I would say there is a very limited amount of people who can do this, so they need to be looked after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

I see Lord Elon is using this event to self publicise one of his many loss making companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭ebbsy

riemann wrote: »
    I see Lord Elon is using this event to self publicise one of his many loss making companies.

He was never going to get the equipment there in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

riemann wrote: »

He certainly did more than most of the commentators.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

ebbsy wrote: »
    He was never going to get the equipment there in time.

It was originally planned to leave them there for months.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

acai berry wrote: »
    Probably - but it did give reports on News media last night that getting fresh oxygen there was a big problem.

This is actually a common misconception. Diver's tanks are not filled with oxygen, they're filled with compressed air at around 200 bar. Oxygen becomes toxic at depths over 20 meters.
    Some setups use oxygen and reciculation. Very handy when attaching mines to enemy ships and you don't want to be seen.

To refill all that is needed is a compressor. I don't know the exact specifics of the setup, but that's the bare bones of it. Nothing too exotic. Of course it does take time and refilling all the tanks (besides the rest periods for the divers) and placing them along the rout, account for the long breaks inbetween rescue operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭Poochie05

CNN reporting that operations are stopped for the day to allow divers to rest and depleted oxygen levels in the cave to recover.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Poochie05 wrote: »
    CNN reporting that operations are stopped for the day to allow divers to rest and depleted oxygen levels in the cave to recover.

I literally have no fingernails left.

• Advertisement

This is actually a common misconception. Diver's tanks are not filled with oxygen, they're filled with compressed air at around 200 bar.
    Some setups use oxygen and reciculation. Very handy when attaching mines to enemy ships and you don't want to be seen.

To refill all that is needed is a compressor. I don't know the exact specifics of the setup, but that's the bare bones of it. Nothing too exotic. Of course it does take time and refilling all the tanks (besides the rest periods for the divers) and placing them along the rout, account for the long breaks inbetween rescue operations.

And as we all know , remote Thai jungle mountain tops are well known to be the home and natural habit of  both the low and high pressure air compressor, as well as being the natural environ for spare parts , filters, oils and lubricants required to run them in a hostile environment givn that they never break down...

Im with 'acai berry' getting 'fresh oxygen there was a big problem' whether that was parts, compressed air, tanks, regs, spares .. its a good enough remark for me and doesnt need to be dissected just to show someones a know it all.  
    Feck this thread has unfortunately confirmed theres still plenty 'tools' out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

inforfun wrote: »

https://twitter.com/NESTA_US/status/1015620386598223877

I get claustrophobic looking at that.
    Fcuk me I started to panic just watching that :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The kids are being kept in isolation over concerns that they may be infected with histoplasmosis.

Discodog wrote: »
    The kids are being kept in isolation over concerns that they may be infected with histoplasmosis.

Thanks for info, 
    I wonder if some of the reasoning behind isolation are not just for physical medical issues. 
    Perhaps they are being kept isolated so that 
    1) Wait until ALL 13 are out or accounted for, so theres no element of being the first to greet the wider world. 
    What better way than hopefully all 13 are presented to their families and the  world at the same time when all are out. 
    2) Psycologically the isolation will act as a sort of de-compression chamber, okay we are out of the cave, now we ease back into our families and into the media scrum, rather than being thrown into that circus right away. 

Perhaps it will keep the bond they formed in that gave together as in they all went in the cave together and even though they may come out over 3 days, ultimately they all come out of isolation together. 
    Who knows, pure speculation on my part, its just a gripping story of human ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Discodog wrote: »

*googles that

Histoplasmosis:
    infection by a fungus found in the droppings of birds and bats in humid areas. It is not serious if confined to the lungs but can be fatal if spread throughout the body.

you're welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

*googles that

Histoplasmosis:
    infection by a fungus found in the droppings of birds and bats in humid areas. It is not serious if confined to the lungs but can be fatal if spread throughout the body.

you're welcome
    Also known rather appropriately as "caver's disease".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

This is actually a common misconception. Diver's tanks are not filled with oxygen, they're filled with compressed air at around 200 bar. Oxygen becomes toxic at depths over 20 meters.

Isn't that called a draegar or something?

I heard they can be really dangerous to use for anyone unfamiliar and untrained with the equipment. I've heard some horror stories regarding them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Imagine going through what they just did and then end up having that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Isn't that called a 'draegar' or something?

I heard they can be really dangerous to use. I've heard some horror stories regarding them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭blackcard

The experience they've gained yesterday is bound to stand to them. Also the fact that the "weakest" went first and now they are dealing with "stronger" kids. That should speed things up. Is it too much to hope they might all be out by end of today?

Probably getting fresh ozyvgen supplies there will be a factor that may hinder that.

Is that confirmed that the weakest went first? I saw another report that the strongest were taken out first

Advertisement