Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They're Alive!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

WIUNyJG.png

Is the guy in the middle closer to the guy on the left or the guy on the right in terms of pressure, or is he actually the exact same as the guy on the right?

( if you cut the top bit off the straw to make it the same as the tank on the right )

Guy in the middle is just as squished as guy on the right

depends on :

hpg ....... h is height, g is force of gravity and p is density of the stuff

( p isn't small P , it's supposed to be ro , can't type it)

You'd be a lot more squished if you went diving in mercury

or sewage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

They can look at it cynically if they want. I just don’t get why. You were wrong in your first accusation and then just levelled the same accusation at another group. Each to their own I suppose...

I was indeed wrong. Happens.

You don’t have get it. People can do things, people can be cynical of those things and others can not get that cynicism. It’s like we’re all different or something. What a world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I was indeed wrong. Happens.

You don’t have get it. People can do things, people can be cynical of those things and others can not get that cynicism. It’s like we’re all different or something. What a world.

Fair enough. Hopefully this all ends well and they are all in Russia for the final :)
    Enjoy what’s left of the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Might have been already mentioned... Did anyone see the video of the man trapped in a pocket of air in a sunken boat? He was down there for days in pure darkness after all his ship mates had drown, one of the craziest things I've ever seen. How he didn't lose his mind is beyond me.

I hope they all get out. I’m so nervous for those left overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I hope they all get out. I’m so nervous for those left overnight.

It will get very nervy when it gets down to the last two or three. Hopefully they will have someone in there to keep them company.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Roger_007 wrote: »
    It will get very nervy when it gets down to the last two or three. Hopefully they will have someone in there to keep them company.

There's a few medics that stayed with them since they were found. They're still in there. It was the Aussie doctor that determined that the weakest lads were to go out first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

kerry cow wrote: »
    I get so emotional thinking of the first day there trapped in the dark and then just keep waiting not knowing if someone will come and then to see a diver emerge from the water ...

Yep. I actually well up at the very thought of that moment! How the diver kept his composure, as he broke the surface and saw all those faces ..... It's just mind blowing!

I'm guessing they'd have had some slight forewarning? Bubbles. Or his light? But, for him, after Hours of creeping about in an endless tunnel, bracing himself for the worst. To pop up and see them?

I'd have lost my schit completely! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

If they do all come out safe and sound which i hope they will,its such a pity that diver/ navy seal had to die.very sad.

gctest50 wrote: »
    ( if you cut the top bit off the straw to make it the same as the tank on the right )

Guy in the middle is just as squished as guy on the right

depends on :

hpg ....... h is height, g is force of gravity and p is density of the stuff

( p isn't small P , it's supposed to be ro , can't type it)

You'd be a lot more squished if you went diving in mercury

or sewage

It appears you're right.

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/pressure-depth-in-a-cave.164988/page-6

"If you are still not convinced, consider the point 33ft down from the cave system entrance. The pressure there is certainly 2 ATA. If the pressure at C were anything other than 2 ATA there would be a pressure differential and the cave system would become an underwater river. For the system to be in equilibrium, point C MUST be at 2 ATA."

But I'll look at it more tomorrow so I actually get it properly instead of just believing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If they do all come out safe and sound which i hope they will,its such a pity that diver/ navy seal had to die.very sad.

maybe his death highlighted an issue which when addressed led to to so far successful rescue.

the man died doing heroic work i don't think he will be forgotten

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Sometimes people take risks but they are not fully aware of what can go wrong. It's the fact that those guys are so fully aware of the risk that makes them so brave.
    Personally I know that I could never summon up the courage to do what they are doing.
    I salute them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Stheno wrote: »
    maybe his death highlighted an issue which when addressed led to to so far successful rescue.

the man died doing heroic work i don't think he will be forgotten

He won't, I read somewhere that the Thai king will be sponsoring the funeral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

2 Scoops wrote: »
    Might have been already mentioned... Did anyone see the video of the man trapped in a pocket of air in a sunken boat? He was down there for days in pure darkness after all his ship mates had drown, one of the craziest things I've ever seen. How he didn't lose his mind is beyond me.

Since his rescue he won't go back onto the water. He won't even dip his toes in it at the beach. Can hardly blame the man though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

[
    It appears you're right.

But I'll look at it more tomorrow so I actually get it properly instead of just believing.

The confusion around this is yet another reason why cave diving is so dangerous and considered highly technical (don't try this at home kids)

When you're in the sea its pretty straightforward to figure out how deep you are and therefore what pressure you're subjected to. In a cave system not so much.

(Although from any of the diagrams I've seen it's not so much of an issue in this case)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

2 Scoops wrote: »

Seen that, I'm sure that diving suit had to go to the dry cleaners afterwards.
    Imagine diving on a wreck and some hand grabs you.
    And I have often imagined, what does it feel like being literally buried alive with no hope of rescue. Hope he stayed sane.

Sunrise in three hours or so. Does this rescue depend on sunlight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Sunrise in three hours or so. Does this rescue depend on sunlight?

I doubt it. But the divers would need a kip. Oxygen also seems to be in short supply so they may be waiting on a delivery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

I am in awe of those divers and all of those involved in the rescue effort. I can't even put into words how much I admire the courage and bravery of all, including the youngsters in the cave.

Sad of course, that one life has been lost - hoping against hope that all others emerge safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

SirChenjin wrote: »
    I am in awe of those divers and all of those involved in the rescue effort. I can't even put into words how much I admire the courage and bravery of all, including the youngsters in the cave.

Sad of course, that one life has been lost - hoping against hope that all others emerge safely.

And the families who are staying calm and dignified . Hope now tomorrow brings thier kids safely back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

How did they get that far without torches? Or did they have them and lost them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Excellent news to hear of the progress being made, had considered the fact that this story might not have a happy ending.

Not clear of danger yet of course, but promising signs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

vicwatson wrote: »
    How did they get that far without torches? Or did they have them and lost them?

They had torches. They also had good BMI scores. It struck me as soon as I seen the video of them. I said them lads will survive they all have robust immune systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

This is what they're up against.

https://1v1d1e1lmiki1lgcvx32p49h8fe-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/1531096732-thai-cave-.jpg

#NOT ALL HEROES WEAR CAPES, SOME WEAR SCUBA GEAR :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

This is what they're up against.

Jesus, some water got in there after they walked in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

They haven’t even told the parents which boys have been evacuated and which are still inside. Bizarre place altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

They haven’t even told the parents which boys have been evacuated and which are still inside. Bizarre place altogether.

Now that is odd

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

I just came on to say this, why are they so secretive ? Quote from the journal, ‘do not ask those kind of questions they are not wise questions to ask’

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

It's quite possible the parents are fully aware and are with their kids but the media have not been told in order to avoid the families being mobbed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

SuperS54 wrote: »
    It's quite possible the parents are fully aware and are with their kids but the media have not been told in order to avoid the families being mobbed.

I don’t think that’s the case as one of the mothers is quoted as saying she doesn’t know. Unless they’ve separated all the parents too?

Advertisement