Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota is bringing back Camry and discontinuing Avensis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ah I’m sure they’ll bring the Avensis back in 15 years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

road_high wrote: »
    I think the Avensis was great car but they stopped developing it about a decade ago. It was paired back, rehashed a few times and fell way behind the competition. I think it's a shame that happened but I guess other markets far bigger than us dictate the direction and it wasn't popular in the rest of Europe as the market for that type of car is falling steadily. Hence why they brought in the CHR crossover.

The chr is basically a jacked up Auris, size wise. Nowhere near as big as the Avensis.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

pablo128 wrote: »
    The chr is basically a jacked up Auris, size wise. Nowhere near as big as the Avensis.

Its weird from some angles they appear big! I think the list price of them is ludicrous- must be giving good deals to tempt buyers as they appear to be selling well. I’d say they are still taking in a few Avensis drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I suppose pricing will be revealed in the next month or so, they need to hit about base price of the Passat on the entry level model for it to be a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

TrailerBob wrote: »
    I thought this thread was about the Toyota Camry handover... and Opels are being mentioned... I hate Opels... last good car they had was the Ascona

I had an Ascona C 2.0i Salon
    Konis all round and shorter springs
    I loved that car, 230+k miles on it and it ran beautifully.
    I replaced it with a Vectra A 2.0i Hatch Couldnt fault that car either.
    Moved away from opels after that.

• Advertisement

pablo128 wrote: »

Probably same size as the Avensis Mark 1 the way things have gone with cars.

The CHR is smaller than an Auris.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The CHR is smaller than an Auris.

Avensis Mark 1;

Wheelbase
    2,630 mm (103.5 in)
    Length
    Estate: 4,600 mm (181.1 in)
    Others: 4,520 mm (178.0 in)

Width
    1,710 mm (67.3 in)

CHR;

Wheelbase
    2,640 mm (103.9 in)
    Length
    4,360 mm (171.7 in)

Width
    1,795 mm (70.7 in)

Auris;

Wheelbase
    2,600 mm (102 in)

Length
    4,275 mm (168 in)

Width
    1,760 mm (69 in)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Same old, hard to get excited about them

Avensis Mark 1;

Wheelbase
    2,630 mm (103.5 in)
    Length
    Estate: 4,600 mm (181.1 in)
    Others: 4,520 mm (178.0 in)

Width
    1,710 mm (67.3 in)

CHR;

Wheelbase
    2,640 mm (103.9 in)
    Length
    4,360 mm (171.7 in)

Width
    1,795 mm (70.7 in)

Auris;

Wheelbase
    2,600 mm (102 in)

Length
    4,275 mm (168 in)

Width
    1,760 mm (69 in)

Sorry, i meant inside. They’re quite tight in the back.

• Advertisement

Sorry, i meant inside. They’re quite tight in the back.

Are they? I've not sat in one at all but assumed they'd be very well packaged especially with the long wheelbase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Have you been in any small crossover? They are generally terrible for rear space. It's no better than the Auris hatchback at best, if not worse. If you wanted better packaging then you'd need smaller wheels, for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Has this thread gone off topic or am I dreaming?
    I thought it was about the upcoming Camry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I think the discussion of the Avensis vs. C-HR is relevant, as it's the compact crossovers which are the market leaders now. 10 years ago, the Avensis was the 5th best selling car in Ireland, but now the best seller in that class is the Passat at 19th place - and the C-HR is selling much more than that.

It will be interesting to see how well the Camry does, but I can't see it being a big seller here. It might find a niche with taxis and hire cars maybe, if it's priced competitively. If we get the Japanese-built model, there will hopefully be benefits with the removal of the 10% tariff on Japanese cars imported to the EU.

Have you been in any small crossover? They are generally terrible for rear space. It's no better than the Auris hatchback at best, if not worse. If you wanted better packaging then you'd need smaller wheels, for a start.

I haven't been in one actually- I thought the selling point would be more space not less!! What exactly is the point then bar sitting higher and maybe higher ground clearance?

I haven't been in one actually- I thought the selling point would be more space not less!! What exactly is the point then bar sitting higher and maybe higher ground clearance?

They’re fashionable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

They’re fashionable.

Women think they're Jeep's too. I heard one bint calling her Nissan Juke a jeep. For God's sake the thing is more like a Micra but higher up.:pac:

A juke is the same size as a CJ Jeep Cherokee!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭creedp

A juke is the same size as a CJ Jeep Cherokee!

A Cherokee is a Jeep but a Juke is a Nissan

I had a chr for 4 days or so last year. Great bus IMO. 50mpg, the adult in the back reckoned there was plenty room and the boot tokk 3 people's luggage no problem.

Lovely to drive, great seating position.

Couldn't fault it.

I drove it shortly after spending a month in a Ford Edge in the States and that was not too long after spending 5 weeks in a Kuga. The CHR was no doubt smaller than both of them but was at least Corolla size internally so plenty big enough for many people / families.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    I had a chr for 4 days or so last year. Great bus IMO. 50mpg, the adult in the back reckoned there was plenty room and the boot tokk 3 people's luggage no problem.

Lovely to drive, great seating position.

Couldn't fault it.

I drove it shortly after spending a month in a Ford Edge in the States and that was not too long after spending 5 weeks in a Kuga. The CHR was no doubt smaller than both of them but was at least Corolla size internally so plenty big enough for many people / families.

I like the look of them. Seems to have hit a note with Irish buyers- they’re in the top ten new sales

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I like the look of them. Seems to have hit a note with Irish buyers- they’re in the top ten new sales

The interior is top notch quality in them, they are much nicer inside than the likes of a kona.

They drive very well too and look great in certain colours. Blue being the nicest colour imo.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The interior is top notch quality in them, they are much nicer inside than the likes of a kona.

They drive very well too and look great in certain colours. Blue being the nicest colour imo.

The colour and spec (like most cars) lifts them enormously. Saw a bog standard silver one today and it only looked average compared to other ones I've seen.
    Only thing is I think they're a tad pricey and pity they couldn't stick in the 1.6 BMW diesel as an option for higher mileage drivers. But for most the 1.2 and 1.8 will do. Other than that great car

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Believe it or not Toyota designers drafted in Lexus designers to sort the interior to make it top notch.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Believe it or not Toyota designers drafted in Lexus designers to sort the interior to make it top notch.

They did a similar job with the iQ, it had some amazing interior materials for a small car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

The colour and spec (like most cars) lifts them enormously. Saw a bog standard silver one today and it only looked average compared to other ones I've seen.
    Only thing is I think they're a tad pricey and pity they couldn't stick in the 1.6 BMW diesel as an option for higher mileage drivers. But for most the 1.2 and 1.8 will do. Other than that great car

Silver just doesn't suit them. They can't be got in bog standard trim, luna and sol is the spec they come in but the right colour makes them stand out.

Silver just doesn't suit them. They can't be got in bog standard trim, luna and sol is the spec they come in but the right colour makes them stand out.

Oh right must have been a Luna then, was parked a bit away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

They did a similar job with the iQ, it had some amazing interior materials for a small car.

And the new Auris. I'm told the 2l Hybrid is actually sporty by someone who has driven it

Toyota are capable of such brilliant cars when they put the effort in. The IQ is finished now is it? Probably not a great seller at the price

• Advertisement

Yeah it’s gone since 2015, but it never took off here in the first place. Toyota Ireland stuck on a huge margin on them. A 1.33 makes a nice car of them - but the default option here was that rotten 1.0 3 cylinder that Toyota Ireland insist on ruining Irish spec small cars with.

The Urban Cruiser came out the same time. Another Japanese Toyota that through poor exchange rates with the Yen and distributor greed where specs were bizzare and overpriced meant that it too was doomed from day 1.

With that in mind, I’d be skeptical about the Camry being priced correctly.

Advertisement