Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota is bringing back Camry and discontinuing Avensis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

I have nearly always driven an Avensis and find them practically bullet proof but I only do about 10-12k pa and several mechanics have told me that this mileage is too low for diesel as they run into Cat problems, would you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Stanford wrote: »
    I have nearly always driven an Avensis and find them practically bullet proof but I only do about 10-12k pa and several mechanics have told me that this mileage is too low for diesel as they run into Cat problems, would you agree?

Your 07 Avensis and the current model share little other than a name. Don’t buy diesel just because You can’t get petrol. That said, they were still selling petrol Avensis even this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's not the miles it's how they are driven, if it's all in the town it's likely going to be trouble.

It is mostly town driving, tsh the car only has 80k on it, is serviced frequently and has never given me trouble, its probably only going to get some €3500 at most in a trade in so I'm seriously thinking of keeping it instead of borrowing more money

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

Fwiw I have a diesel avensis nearly 4 years no problems take it for a spin every so often as I don't do big miles your own wiil go forever lehanes in cork haven't got the avensis on their site now.

• Advertisement

ofcork wrote: »
    Fwiw I have a diesel avensis nearly 4 years no problems take it for a spin every so often as I don't do big miles your own wiil go forever lehanes in cork haven't got the avensis on their site now.

I think you're right, it will do me fine and won't be worth any less as long as I look after it, Gearys in Limerick now don't have the new Avensis on their site either

It is mostly town driving, tsh the car only has 80k on it, is serviced frequently and has never given me trouble, its probably only going to get some €3500 at most in a trade in so I'm seriously thinking of keeping it instead of borrowing more money

You wouldn’t get anything near €3500 for it unless the car you’re buying has an artificially inflated price. Your best bet by far is keeping the car you have.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You wouldn’t get anything near €3500 for it unless the car you’re buying has an artificially inflated price. Your best bet by far is keeping the car you have.

I think you're correct, for example my local Toyota main dealer is already fiddling the system e.g. the price of a second hand Avensis might be say, 16k, for straight deal but the website will also say 17k with a trade in, is this legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Thanks but I can't afford to buy new, do you think Dealers will discount used diesel Avensis stock as the year goes on to provide for the new Camry?

Your welcome. Might as well just keep the one you have as others have said.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's bit of a sharp practice by dealers to fudge figures but there is nothing illegal about it. All they are doing is taking the straight deal discount of 1k and adding it to your trade-in price to make it look more attractive while at the same time adding it back the asking price of their car to offset it. They do this because all people focus on is how much the dealer gives them as a trade-in value on their old car rather than focusing on the cost to trade-up price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Also, most main dealers have no interest in an 11-year old trade in - it's more of a nuisance to them than anything else, as they usually don't want such old cars in their forecourt (they'd take it to an auction or sell it to someone else). I got similar a few years ago getting quotes - they'd either give me nothing for the trade-in (14 year old car), or didn't want it at all.

Also, most main dealers have no interest in an 11-year old trade in - it's more of a nuisance to them than anything else, as they usually don't want such old cars in their forecourt (they'd take it to an auction or sell it to someone else). I got similar a few years ago getting quotes - they'd either give me nothing for the trade-in (14 year old car), or didn't want it at all.

I've seen clean low mileage 2007 Avensis models on Dealers forecourts for €4k

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The dealer probably took it as a trade-in because the previous owner is a regular customer who had the car serviced with them over the years. They know the car is solid and they potentially can make money on selling it quickly. Asking 4k gives them a good bit of money to cover any potential warranty work they might get stung for. Reality is it's not worth anywhere near 4k but some people put extra value in buying from a dealer and getting a warranty irrespective of the age of the car. If it doesn't sell then they just sell it through the trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Why don't Toyota just re-badge a few more Peugeots if they are as desperate for new products?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

road_high wrote: »
    Why don't Toyota just re-badge a few more Peugeots if they are as desperate for new products?

Why?
    Which models look the same ?

vectra wrote: »
    Why?
    Which models look the same ?

The Aygo and the Proace van are developed with PSA, the Proace being just a rebadged PSA product, the Aygo is more of a joint venture

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The Aygo and the Proace van are developed with PSA, the Proace being just a rebadged PSA product, the Aygo is more of a joint venture

Sure Opel might as rebadge them as well so then.
    And Ford.

Sure Opel might as rebadge them as well so then..

They already do...the Grandland and Crossland are rebadged (ugly) 3008 and 2008s. All Opels in future will be PSA platform share like all Skodas and Seats are with VW.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

They already do...the Grandland and Crossland are rebadged (ugly) 3008 and 2008s. All Opels in future will be PSA platform share like all Skodas and Seats are with VW.

They are not badge engineered. Sharing a platform does not equal that's the same car.

Look at the likes of Citroen C-Crosser, Peugeot 4007 and Mitsubishi Outlander. Or Opel Vivaro/Nissan Primastar/Renault Traffic - those are identical, bar the badges and optionally a few panels.

Skoda did design their cars separately from VW or Seat. Anybody saying that a Fabia is as good as a Polo, cause it simply is rebadged, has no idea what they are talking about.

Specsavers ;)

• Advertisement

Specsavers ;)

I presume you mean about the ugly comment? They are. Dreadfully bland and generic. The 3008 by comparison looks great and the 2008 isn't bad either. Definitely won't be the sales hit Opel so desperately need.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I presume you mean about the ugly comment? They are. Dreadfully bland and generic. The 3008 by comparison looks great and the 2008 isn't bad either. Definitely won't be the sales hit Opel so desperately need.

Because the best sellers: Hyundai, Toyota, VW or Skoda are soooooo unique...

Market does not want originality. The best selling collours are grey, silver and titanium, followed by moon dust and light tarmac. All exciting....

People are extremely conservative when buying a car.

grogi wrote: »
    Because the best sellers: Hyundai, Toyota, VW or Skoda are soooooo unique...

Market does not want originality. The best selling collours are grey, silver and titanium, followed by moon dust and light tarmac. All exciting....

People are extremely conservative when buying a car.

But...those marques have at least a few snappy looking cars. Hell the Tuscon is not a too bad looking thing. I'm simply referring to the Grandland and Crossland which are very underdone style wise at a time when Opel needs to inject a bit of life into its range. People will be more forgiving of VW or Toyota as their brand and reputation can stand it. Appealing design doesn't have to be hugely unique, just fashionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I disagree. The Grandland X and Crossland are not ugly a bit conservative maybe yes but they are also classy. I do not get all the hate for them. The Peugeot 3008 is a stunning looking car no doubt but some old people might prefer something a bit more conservative like the Opel and that is no bad thing. At least some design has gone into the Opels unlike say a VW Tiguan which is about as exciting as a blank piece of paper.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

AMKC wrote: »
    I disagree. The Grandland X and Crossland are not ugly a bit conservative maybe yes but they are also classy. I do not get all the hate for them. The Peugeot 3008 is a stunning looking car no doubt but some old people might prefer something a bit more conservative like the Opel and that is no bad thing. At least some design has gone into the Opels unlike say a VW Tiguan which is about as exciting as a blank piece of paper.
    The crossland is a bit ugly imo, it's certainly not classy. The grandland x is ok but is dull compared to it's relative the 3008. The tiguan is understated but has a hint of class about it. They look well in the right colour.

I don't think either of the opels or the peugeot will age as well as it tbh.

Tiguan is a very fine bus imo.....just gets mad pricey if you want 4 motion or whatever it is they call it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭sob1467

I'm kind of shocked. 15 pages long and there has been very little praise for a solid car in the Avensis.

My dad has drived numerous models over the years and I've put over 100k miles on my own one.

People may not have thought they were the prettiest car in the world, but they really did a good job as a standard car of getting you from a to b.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

I agree 100% I had an 04 petrol put 167k miles on it now have a 12 diesel no problems whatsoever.

sob1467 wrote: »
    I'm kind of shocked. 15 pages long and there has been very little praise for a solid car in the Avensis.

My dad has drived numerous models over the years and I've put over 100k miles on my own one.

People may not have thought they were the prettiest car in the world, but they really did a good job as a standard car of getting you from a to b.

I think the Avensis was great car but they stopped developing it about a decade ago. It was paired back, rehashed a few times and fell way behind the competition. I think it's a shame that happened but I guess other markets far bigger than us dictate the direction and it wasn't popular in the rest of Europe as the market for that type of car is falling steadily. Hence why they brought in the CHR crossover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I thought this thread was about the Toyota Camry handover... and Opels are being mentioned... I hate Opels... last good car they had was the Ascona

Advertisement