Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota is bringing back Camry and discontinuing Avensis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

See post #103

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

colm_mcm wrote: »
    John Rambo , are you saying that in the next 5 years you think the government or Europe or someone will impose some sort of tax punishing existing diesel owners? Say, dir example -someone who buys a new diesel now.

Hi Colm. Thanks for the direct bump at me! Sorry for the lack of replies to my original post, busy week!!

To answer your question. Yes I do.

I believe there will be incentives to move from diesel along with a slow gradation of taxes that will punish diesel car owners over the next five years. I think they'll come up with a date (like they did with the 2008 July deal) and work onward from that date. I believe it will start with city/town zones and go Europe wide. I am convinced the latest push on PCP diesel cars is a last grasp attempt to push car buyers in to a scam that will leave their cars at a much less value than the value they're currently valued at.

*I was a diehard petrol car owner until I literally couldn't find a suitable petrol car for my needs. There were none available in the second hand market for me. So I have a diesel car now. I still have a lovely 18 year old, tiny engined small petrol car with new tyres that starts every day, passes the NCT every year but am having issues insuring because It's deemed to old!!

John_Rambo wrote: »
    .......... I am convinced the latest push on PCP diesel cars is a last grasp attempt to push car buyers in to a scam that will leave their cars at a much less value than the value they're currently valued at..........

Some PCP figures from just over 18 months ago, where's the scam? First figure is the retail, second is the GFMV and the 3rd is the % the GFMV is of the retail.

Car RRP 2016 GFMP % 
    BMW 330e M Sport €53,550 €24,243 45.27171
    Passat Estate Trendline 1.4TSI 125HP €30,390 €11,846 38.97993
    Passat Estate Highline 1.6TDI 120HP €36,230 €14,182 39.14436
    Passat Saloon Highline 2.0TDI 190HP €38,320 €15,328.00 40
    A4 2.0TDI 150 ULTRA €39,600 €17,825 45.01263
    A6 2.0TDI 150 SE €45,350 €20,025 44.15656
    BMW 420i SE Gran Coupe €45,350 €21,006 46.31974

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭selectamatic

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    ....and it's not even a Toyota. All Subaru, even manufactured by Subaru. The same company that made a one time "stand-out" Car (Impreza) look like your Granny's Civic.

The 86 is nearly all toyota bar the engine. It began as the ft-hs proto and subaru were only brought on board when Toyota bought fuji heavy industries and decided to go down the manual 4 cylinder route rather than the v6 hybrid route that was initially proposed.

All models are built at subaru's main plant as its the most suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

bazz26 wrote: »
    The smugness of that one in the Toyota ad going on about buying a hybrid because she's concerned about air pollution for her kids yet how much air pollution and energy is used by the factory that produced her hybrid or the damage the mining of lithium for her hybrid batteries is doing. Keep your existing car if that's really a concern.

I think you're missing the point - it's about local air pollution. People doing short trips to the school in their diesel SUV or whatever, where the particulate filter is not up to operating temperature, etc., are not doing anyone any favours. Air quality in urban areas of Europe has been negatively affected by the uptake in diesels in the past decade.

But I agree, those ads are bad.

The closest Toyota factory is in Burnaston in England, which does not have a direct effect on us - and even then I can't find any evidence of it directly creating air pollution. Toyota are very serious about renewable energy generation and sustainability at their plants. I went to the Tsutsumi plant in Toyota city (where they make the Prius, Camry and a few others) last year and there were a hell of a lot of solar panels, and trees and stuff - it was nice :)

And most Toyota hybrids use Ni-MH batteries, so no lithium either (there is a lot of fake news about lithium mining anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,574 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I see that Toyota have had 400 people on there website express on interest in the Camry and that them 400 people will be kept up to date on it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Let’s see how many they sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Probably asking Toyota if they were serious or joking? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

What sort of idiots are in charge in Toyota that think is a good idea not to have a diesel which is what will actually sell, especially in Ireland.

I think 1/3 of Toyota Ireland sales at least were still diesel last year. Hence I can see the absolutely desperation they have to try flog hybrids and the sudden “diesel is evil” mantra. All their major peers are for now at least sticking with diesel as an option and there are still some damn good diesels out there- and for us high mileage drivers long may it remain so

AMKC wrote: »
    I see that Toyota have had 400 people on there website express on interest in the Camry and that them 400 people will be kept up to date on it.

What are they trying to prove? Asking people to register interest in a pretty anonymous large old school petrol saloon seems pretty odd- are they that unsure of future sales?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

pablo128 wrote: »
    Good point. I've just been googling them there, and for such a popular car worldwide, there doesn't seem to be a hatchback or estate version. Definitely a no from me then. I like to be able to fold the seats and carry a lot of stuff on occasions. I'd never fit my child's bike in the boot of that let alone a washing machine or something.

Not that many good sized Japanese wagons any longer unless you count the CRV as a wagon.
    The Germans have the market to themselves apart from Mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

road_high wrote: »
    I think 1/3 of Toyota Ireland sales at least were still diesel last year. Hence I can see the absolutely desperation they have to try flog hybrids and the sudden “diesel is evil” mantra. All their major peers are for now at least sticking with diesel as an option and there are still some damn good diesels out there- and for us high mileage drivers long may it remain so

In 2017 37.59% we diesels to be exact... Yet in 2018 half of the sales are hybrids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I had a 2017 Camry for 3 weeks in the States. Just back Monday. I actually think it could sell here. It's not exciting, but no Toyota saloon has been. It's basic enough to be familiar to the Avensis buyer, and seems quite well put together. I put 3000 miles on it covering 8 states and I have nothing bad to say about it. It's pretty forgettable, but so were the Accord and the Galant..

Would I buy it... No,
    Would Paddy aged 58 from Thurles buy it.. possibly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Europe has moved on from non German or non premium large saloons.
    The Camry went the way of the Mitsubishi Galant, Opel Omega, Nissan Maxima, Ford Scorpio, Honda Accord, Peugeot 607, Renault Safrane etc etc.

You'd include the Accord in that list?

Wonder will the UK get them too, they currently don't have the saloon Corolla .

The English don't have the same love for the small saloon as we do here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

My father would call it 'a fine car'... he lives in 1643... he'd buy it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

You'd include the Accord in that list?

Honda stopped selling the Accord in Europe at end of 2014.
    They have no plans to return to that market segment.

ongarite wrote: »
    Honda stopped selling the Accord in Europe at end of 2014. They have no plans to return to that market segment.

But that was the D segment. The rest of the cars on the list were on the next one up.

I would never have seen the Accord as a direct rival to the likes of an Avensis or Insignia. They were always a bit more expensive and that little bit bigger. I don’t agree with compartmentalizing cars into different segments - especially as cars get progressively bigger, but the Accord would have been regarded as a big car. It wasn’t premium, but it was still a step above the likes of a Mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Comfy seats and something like all the ultra muck savage Supermacs in the country on the sat nav might just make it a big seller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I would never have seen the Accord as a direct rival to the likes of an Avensis or Insignia. They were always a bit more expensive and that little bit bigger. I don’t agree with compartmentalizing cars into different segments - especially as cars get progressively bigger, but the Accord would have been regarded as a big car. It wasn’t premium, but it was still a step above the likes of a Mondeo.

OI..!!!!
    Leave the Mondeo alone :pac::pac:

vectra wrote: »
    OI..!!!!
    Leave the Mondeo alone :pac::pac:

Or long wheelbase Focus as I call it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭scooby77

Wonder will the UK get them too, they currently don't have the saloon Corolla and no mention of the Camry on their website.
    UK are getting Camry. Also Corolla/Auris saloon due for release in 2020 seemingly pencilled in for UK return also. Usual spy shots available online.

Really? I think the GT86 is absolutely hideous, ugly and a really poor design. The rear end is a mess with ugly lights that in no way match the front. Two fat cheap ugly tail pipes don’t help things at the rear either. The wheels are the ugliest OE wheels I have ever seen on any sports car and the ride height is plain ridiculous. I’m not even going to get into the miserly 200bhp and lack of a turbo. It’s just wrong on every plane. I know they can be modified and made look good but you shouldn’t have to change almost everything on a sports car to make it look nice.

Toyota have in no way done the 86 name any justice with their design and the car itself will never have even a fraction of the iconic status the AE86 has today.

I like the GT86!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I'd buy the new Camry. DERIDE ME

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

I have a 2007 Avensis which I intend to change this year but I can't warm to the diesel Avensis, based on the Avensis being phased out is it a bad idea to even consider a diesel avensis at this stage?

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I'd buy the new Camry. DERIDE ME

Me too. The Camry, when it was here, used to have a slightly exclusive edge to it. Not quite executive but not far off.

In the US however its derided as a 'Mom Moblie' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,574 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Stanford wrote: »
    I have a 2007 Avensis which I intend to change this year but I can't warm to the diesel Avensis, based on the Avensis being phased out is it a bad idea to even consider a diesel avensis at this stage?

Why not just wait for the new Camry that this thread is about and buy one of them when it comes out? Of course if you not want to wait you could look at the C-HR.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

AMKC wrote: »
    Why not just wait for the new Camry that this thread is about and buy one of them when it comes out? Of course if you not want to wait you could look at the C-HR.

Thanks but I can't afford to buy new, do you think Dealers will discount used diesel Avensis stock as the year goes on to provide for the new Camry?

• Advertisement

Stanford wrote: »
    Thanks but I can't afford to buy new, do you think Dealers will discount used diesel Avensis stock as the year goes on to provide for the new Camry?

I believe they're well on run out as we speak. Not sure if stocks have dried up yet but looking at the sales figures it must be close.

Advertisement