Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota is bringing back Camry and discontinuing Avensis

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    How have they been shyte? You can get the corolla in decent spec and like every other car in the class you can get them in base trim with hubcaps too. Sure the engine range is limited but the 1.3 is a decent straightforward unit that has less to go wrong compared to the modern turbo 3 cylinder units found in other cars.

I was referring to the engines on offer. The 1.6 is only offered in automatic. I think the 1.3 is underpowered and other cars in the class have more options.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Friend subscribed to the news thing from Toyota. Base Aura model apparently €39950, Luna and Sol models more.

Good luck selling any.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭ofcork

I posted in the hybrid thread Corolla Luna hybrid is over 37k!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ofcork wrote: »
    I posted in the hybrid thread Corolla Luna hybrid is over 37k!!

Paddy and Dympna won’t like that. That’d be all the SSIA money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,451 ✭✭✭✭elperello

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Paddy and Dympna won’t like that. That’d be all the SSIA money.

You could be right.

Having pushed up the price of very mediocre cars to 30k they are not satisfied and are going for 40k.

There must be a limit to peoples desperation to have a new plate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Friend subscribed to the news thing from Toyota. Base Aura model apparently €39950, Luna and Sol models more.

Good luck selling any.

It's €41480 for the base model Lexus IS300h, can't see anyone in their right mind spending €39950 on a Camry.

I thought they would keep a bigger gap price wise as the Lexus is perceived as being more prestigious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

It's €41480 for the base model Lexus IS300h, can't see anyone in their right mind spending €39950 on a Camry.

The Camry is a bigger car but i agree with you totally. They are in a different league.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

New IS is in the offing. They're going to push that up in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭mr c

iirc Camry was 23k in 1996 ?
    cant see them selling many at the price if above
    i was also thinking hard to get avensis drivers in to a bigger car size wise
    good buy down the line when they drop id think :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Good luck Toyota trying to sell a 40k Camry to Bridget and Eamon who want to trade up from their 10th Avensis. The only ones you will see here are the ones dealers will be forced to take as demos and pre regs by Toyota Ireland.

As for a 37k Corolla hybrid, good luck with that too. Coincidently I see Honda launched a diesel saloon version of the 10th generation Civic a few months back. I can see them taking a good few Corolla/Avensis customers with that car, clever move there Honda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

mr c wrote: »
    iirc Camry was 23k in 1996 ?
    cant see them selling many at the price if above
    i was also thinking hard to get avensis drivers in to a bigger car size wise
    good buy down the line when they drop id think :)

23k in 1996 is roughly 42k now allowing for average 2.8% inflation. It's 22 years ago after all. You could probably buy a house for under 70k then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MTBD

bazz26 wrote: »
    Good luck Toyota trying to sell a 40k Camry to Bridget and Eamon who want to trade up from their 10th Avensis. The only ones you will see here are the ones dealers will be forced to take as demos and pre regs by Toyota Ireland.

As for a 37k Corolla hybrid, good luck with that too. Coincidently I see Honda launched a diesel saloon version of the 10th generation Civic a few months back. I can see them taking a good few Corolla/Avensis customers with that car, clever move there Honda.

I don't really agree with this.

My parents have been driving C-classes since 2000. The only reason they haven't bought a Camry is because they were discontinued (and the one around in 2000 wasn't the nicest). All the non premium manufacturers stopped making their high end cars around the same time. They wanted something nicer than an Avensis but didn't want to break the bank. So ended up with a C Class which to be fair have been faultless.

I think there should be plenty of people who still want a high end Toyota. They are better cars than most of the premium European stuff really. The IS is a fine car but it's a size down. The Camry is GS sized. And in my opinion the Camry is much better value for money than something like a 5 series or base E-class.

How many people have had bad experiences with BMWs, Audis and Mercs at this stage? A premium Toyota will surely be a welcome option to a lot of people who are sick of Euro ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭illumin

Here's a pic of toyota's new price list (sorry it's a bit blurry)

BtzHfcZ.jpg

Something going on with the corolla pricing the 37k odd price for the luna hybrid is now gone from the link they sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Toyota prepare to take advantage of pricing power post Brexit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

41k for base model :eek::eek::eek:
    thats the same in euro as it is in dollars over here, or about 70% more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

thats the same in euro as it is in dollars over here, or about 70% more expensive

Nah! at present €1 buy $1.15. So maybe not that far off

Do Toyota actually make Camry in the US ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

0lddog wrote: »
    Nah! at present €1 buy $1.15. So maybe not that far off

Do Toyota actually make Camry in the US ?

Could be Canadian or Australian dollars ...

Not your ornery onager

New Zealand by location indicator.

• Advertisement

MTBD wrote: »
    I don't really agree with this.

My parents have been driving C-classes since 2000. The only reason they haven't bought a Camry is because they were discontinued (and the one around in 2000 wasn't the nicest). All the non premium manufacturers stopped making their high end cars around the same time. They wanted something nicer than an Avensis but didn't want to break the bank. So ended up with a C Class which to be fair have been faultless.

I think there should be plenty of people who still want a high end Toyota. They are better cars than most of the premium European stuff really. The IS is a fine car but it's a size down. The Camry is GS sized. And in my opinion the Camry is much better value for money than something like a 5 series or base E-class.

How many people have had bad experiences with BMWs, Audis and Mercs at this stage? A premium Toyota will surely be a welcome option to a lot of people who are sick of Euro ****e.

So answer this, if people are so sick of Euro **** as you put it, then why did Toyota stop selling the Camry 20 years ago and the likes of the 5 Series, A6 and E Class are huge sellers? Because of poor sales, a few Irish people might get a boner for a high spec Toyota but the Camry was withdrawn from Europe because they didn't sell well enough. people wanted more than just a big old reliable coach on wheels.

And we already get premium Toyotas, they are called Lexus. Why are they not outselling their European counterparts? Because alot of people want something more than just reliability and value for money when choosing a car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 JamesTom

Often got a boner softened in the back of the old fells Camry years ago by my neighbor Sinead.

Some girls have low or no standards.:pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

€41k for a basic Camry? Are they off their fecking rocker? And €27k for the cheapest new Corolla :eek:? Ford, Skoda and VW won't have anything to worry about that's for sure.

I mean, you could get a brand new 3 series for that kind of money (and not even a poverty spec 316d either) and they're actually fairly decently equipped these days, plus they still come with a diesel engine and a manual gearbox for Paddy and Mary as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

MTBD wrote: »

Significantly less than those who have positive experiences with them.

Whatever about anyone's loyalty to Toyota, at that pricing it's up against the likes of the superb, passat, C class, 3 series and A4.

It's hard to see it stealing many sales from those stalwarts.

Funnily enough the 2.5 in it could put off a lot of your typical Irish buyers who would think the engine is "too big".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

The price hike is fecking huge, no doubt about it and it wont help toyota.

Just out of curiosity lads. What size of a car we talking about with Camry? Shouldn't it be compared more to 5 series, s60, e class, passat?
    As some people compare its price point to 3 series, but surely camry was/is way bigger then that?

About the same as a Superb.
    Smaller than a 3 series but that roundel has a certain cachet !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

elperello wrote: »

Uh, Suberbs are bigger than 3 series in every single way! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The new 3 series coming next year is actually bigger than the Avensis! It's almost the size of the E39 5 series now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

elperello wrote: »

It's a 5 series size.

3 is tiny compared to it.

Advertisement