Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota is bringing back Camry and discontinuing Avensis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yeah it’s gone since 2015, but it never took off here in the first place. Toyota Ireland stuck on a huge margin on them. A 1.33 makes a nice car of them - but the default option here was that rotten 1.0 3 cylinder that Toyota Ireland insist on ruining Irish spec small cars with.

The Urban Cruiser came out the same time. Another Japanese Toyota that through poor exchange rates with the Yen and distributor greed where specs were bizzare and overpriced meant that it too was doomed from day 1.

With that in mind, I’d be skeptical about the Camry being priced correctly.

Yea, the cars they bring directly from Japan often flop for the reasons you outline. They’ll have to price the Camry keenly as large petrol cars traditionally aren’t sought after here. Especially with a non premium badge.
    The stuff they make in England, France and turkey are the vast bulk of sales

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Casati

Camry is a four door so that a major disadvantage- all the sellers in the large family class are either hatchback or estates now, unless its a premium car like 5 series/ A6 it will be very hard to shift.

I notice too that the Mondeo Hybrid is only saloon and the boot is half filled with batteries and makes it difficult to fit anything large in it - e.g. a large suitcase or big tv. Lack of boot space will make these hybrids a niche product - can they not fit them under the floor?

I'd say the higher design of the cross overs makes it easier to engineer a decent boot and space for the batteries

• Registered Users Posts: 73,393 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Casati wrote: »
    Camry is a four door so that a major disadvantage- all the sellers in the large family class are either hatchback or estates now, unless its a premium car like 5 series/ A6 it will be very hard to shift.

Passat?

I do agree with you though, non German saloons aren’t selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I notice too that the Mondeo Hybrid is only saloon and the boot is half filled with batteries and makes it difficult to fit anything large in it - e.g. a large suitcase or big tv. Lack of boot space will make these hybrids a niche product - can they not fit them under the floor?

2018 US-spec Camry Hybrid has 427 litres of boot space, the same as the standard petrol models. It has a smaller petrol tank instead - 49 vs. 60 litres - but it can do 62 vs. 38 MPG (standard 2.5) so still has a greater range.

Ford still haven't got the hang of this hybrid thing, so seem to have done things a bit arseways :)

2018 US-spec Camry Hybrid has 427 litres of boot space, the same as the standard petrol models. It has a smaller petrol tank instead - 49 vs. 60 litres - but it can do 62 vs. 38 MPG (standard 2.5) so still has a greater range.

Ford still haven't got the hang of this hybrid thing, so seem to have done things a bit arseways :)

That’s smaller than the boot on my civic. Avensis is 509 litres. IS300h is 450 litres.

• Advertisement

It's better than the 383 litres of the Mondeo Hybrid, at least. The US standards for measuring boot space might be stricter too, I'm don't remember exactly. It's very popular as a taxi in the US, so is far from unacceptably small.

That’s a small boot size for a large family car. The Mondeo’s is frankly smaller and way less useful a shape that most compact cars so that’s going to rule out a lot of potential buyers.

The small petrol tank will be a pita for diesel drivers used to a 1200 km range, around town these cars might beat a diesel but not on the motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Passat?

I do agree with you though, non German saloons aren’t selling.

And even the Germans are starting to move away from saloons to a hatch-back, sports-back

VW Arteon
    Skoda Superb

The small petrol tank will be a pita for diesel drivers used to a 1200 km range, around town these cars might beat a diesel but not on the motorway

Based on (reliable) US EPA figures, you'd still be getting about 1080 km range on a full tank. Their "highway" figures may be assuming slower speeds, but even assuming a pessimistic 55 MPG @ 120 km/h you're still talking about 1000 km.

My Prius only has a 45 litre tank, and as it's an older model (2012) with older tech it only does about 50 MPG at motorway speeds. I've driven Cork to Belfast and similarly long journeys (about the longest anyone would reasonably do in a day in Ireland) and the tank size has never been an issue.

I think the Camry is a better compromise than the Mondeo anyway.

Based on (reliable) US EPA figures, you'd still be getting about 1080 km range on a full tank. Their "highway" figures may be assuming slower speeds, but even assuming a pessimistic 55 MPG @ 120 km/h you're still talking about 1000 km.

My Prius only has a 45 litre tank, and as it's an older model (2012) with older tech it only does about 50 MPG at motorway speeds. I've driven Cork to Belfast and similarly long journeys (about the longest anyone would reasonably do in a day in Ireland) and the tank size has never been an issue.

If it gives a real 55mpg then it would change things for sure, might try to rent one next time I’m in the States

• Advertisement

Nobody’s realistically going to buy the Mondeo to be fair.

A whopping 20 have been sold in Ireland so far, probably all demos...

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭scooby77

Toyota to release prices and spec for new 2019 Auris/Camry/ Rav4 on October 18th. Also launching 4th new model...speculation in this article it'll be Hybrid Corolla. If it gets 2.0 Hybrid might be interested.

https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/corolla-goes-hybrid-as-toyota-speeds-up-switch-to-petrolelectric-with-four-new-cars-37216672.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭vectra

scooby77 wrote: »
    Toyota to release prices and spec for new 2019 Auris/Camry/ Rav4 on October 18th. Also launching 4th new model...speculation in this article it'll be Hybrid Corolla. If it gets 2.0 Hybrid might be interested.

https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/corolla-goes-hybrid-as-toyota-speeds-up-switch-to-petrolelectric-with-four-new-cars-37216672.html

Nice.
    Interested in knowing specs and prices of Camry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Irish spec Corollas have been shyte. A 1.3 petrol only unless you went auto & a 1.4 diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your typical Irish Corolla driver really didn't want anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Top sepc version here is $50k NZ, 29,000 eur. doubt it'll be anywhere near that cheap though.

Top sepc version here is $50k NZ, 29,000 eur. doubt it'll be anywhere near that cheap though.
    Auris or Camry?

That’s Camry price.
    A standard IS300h is $77k in NZ for comparison.

Going on that unscientific basis, that would make a Camry €28k here.

That’s Camry price.
    A standard IS300h is $77k in NZ for comparison.

Going on that unscientific basis, that would make a Camry €28k here.

Interesting....doubt it be that cheap here unfortunately! Hard to compare exactly but in US basic prius is roughly US$ 3500-5000 cheaper than basic Camry Hybrid. A base prius is €31450 here so ballpark €35000 for base Camry hybrid here? Even that would leave it €2k cheaper than Mondeo Hybrid...would say difference be less!

• Advertisement

I think the Camry used to be €40k here back in the day. That was when stuff like an E Class or even a C Class was a lot more expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Remember that the Lexus ES (which is based on the Camry drive train) is being launched here in December as a 5 Series/E Class rival so will probably start at mid to high 50k. The Camry will have to be a good bit cheaper than that so I'd say it will start at about 36-38k which is still a good bit more expensive than the entry price of the old Avensis.

Note that the Prius is $27990 in NZ base Camry hybrid is $41k
    Base Prius is €31500 here which on that basis would make the base Camry €46k

There’s obviously completely different pricing structure over there. I’d agree with Bazz that it’ll probably be priced late 30s

It's going to need to be priced competitively with the Mondeo, Passat, Insignia, etc. if they want to sell any here at all.

The Prius is a bit expensive here because it's made in Japan (unlike most Toyotas we get, which are from the UK, France or Turkey) so costs 10% more than something built in the EU, and the base spec isn't too bad. I can't find any evidence the Camry will be built in Europe, but the tariff on Japanese cars should be going soon anyway (don't know when exactly). I don't know what their trade deals with NZ or the US are like, in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

If it's mid 30s it won't sell at all. I doubt there are many people out there looking for a 2.5 litre automatic petrol saloon to be honest (even if it's a hybrid), sure even small engined diesel family saloons are getting hard to sell these days, and they're the ones people actually want.

Sure if it's reliable, economical, and has the all-important chape tax, who cares what's underneath the bonnet? People need to get over this irrational fear of "large" engines and automatic gearboxes. I'd be glad to see the back of shítey Paddy-spec 1.6 diesels.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,442 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Nobody’s realistically going to buy the Mondeo to be fair.

Is the Mondeo Hybrid really that bad or would the demo cars be worth a punt?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Irish spec Corollas have been shyte. A 1.3 petrol only unless you went auto & a 1.4 diesel.

How have they been shyte? You can get the corolla in decent spec and like every other car in the class you can get them in base trim with hubcaps too.

Sure the engine range is limited but the 1.3 is a decent straightforward unit that has less to go wrong compared to the modern turbo 3 cylinder units found in other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

If it's mid 30s it won't sell at all. I doubt there are many people out there looking for a 2.5 litre automatic petrol saloon to be honest (even if it's a hybrid), sure even small engined diesel family saloons are getting hard to sell these days, and they're the ones people actually want.

A reviewer in the states managed to get 50 mpg out of a new camry hybrid which beat all the other competition in the class afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭vectra

elperello wrote: »
    Is the Mondeo Hybrid really that bad or would the demo cars be worth a punt?

Friend of mine in the UK has one and he finds it very economical
    He recently got 603 miles
    401 on petrol
    203 on battery power.
    JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    A reviewer in the states managed to get 50 mpg out of a new camry hybrid which beat all the other competition in the class afaik.

And that is 50mpg US gallon = 60.5 UK gallon
    Cant complain with that.

Advertisement