Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

20.9c at 11.20pm in Waterford City. Looks like the heat will be in the South East for the next few days

Weeks Mick weeks :)

Jaysus Sryan is some weather nerd (in a great sense). I'm guessing you are late teens or early twenties. Used to be like that myself pulling dates and extreme weather events off the top of my head. 20 years later a couple of wives and half a dozen children has ruined the old memory lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The first week of June 1995 was cool and dull but dry. The second and third week tended to be warmer with some warm days but generally average temperature wise overall. The last week (mainly starting on June 21st) was very sunny with increasingly warm to hot temperatures topping out at 31c. A cold front brought cooler air on July 1st southwards. The first half of July 1995 was on and off warm days really with some thundery showers. The second half was very warm with many of the days successfully reaching 20c or more. This period would last into August (getting up to 31.5c on August 1st) and wouldn't end 'til around the 23rd August when a northwesterly and soon northerly flow brought down much colder air. Temperatures for the remaining days of August were in the mid to high teens - touching 20c or so in the continuous strong sunshine which didn't disappear in this cooler spell.

That's great, thanks.

I was out in the garden last week and could feel myself burning. I looked at my arm and in that instant I was vividly transported back to 95, where a group of us were walking to a friend's new house. It was as if were there, staring at my arm in the same spot thinking "I've to get out of this now".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Speak Now wrote: »
    I'm guessing you are late teens or early twenties.

17. :)

I aim to learn off the weather of every month with data available for just like I did with the capital cities, flags and countries of the world.

I aim to learn off the weather of every month with data available for just like I did with the capital cities, flags and countries of the world.

Enjoy it. Few years ahead of the good life yet lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

17 ? Ah Jaysus if you aren't running met eireann in ten years time then I'll be very disappointed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Max Temps today.

txint_uk_mnm0.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Max Temps today.

txint_uk_mnm0.png

As we are always left out i'll add 27.4c from Waterford City :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Just watching CBS Philadelphia reporting the excessive heat hitting the US and everyone getting AC units, currently 34 DegC .... sure we are basically used to that at this stage :)

Max Temps today.

txint_uk_mnm0.png

Fair chunk of the southeast missing out on daily recorded temps isn't there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭compsys

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Unusual to get such good weather post leaving cert. Don't remember any particularly sunny days during the lc this year bar maybe one or two. Leaving cert class of 2018 were some lucky b@stards weren't they to get the good weather after it :D

There was some pretty decent weather during the leaving cert. even more so in the days leading up to it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Should do well again tomorrow mick :) The S, SE and midlands look like producing the highest temps tomorrow.

jC9wkba.png

wpHaYXF.png

g4KVdOm.png

2vgSyQF.png

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Oman low temp overnight was 42.6 degrees - we can’t complain !!

vicwatson wrote: »
    Oman low temp overnight was 42.6 degrees - we can’t complain !!

Oh man it's roasting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Should do well again tomorrow mick :) The S, SE and midlands look like producing the highest temps tomorrow.

Yes looking like the warmest in the country tomorrow. Just wondering how do you get the Celsius readings for the ECM on weather.us. I can only see Fahrenheit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Chart below shows mean maxima, high max and the No. of days with temps equal or greater to 22/25/27/30 deg.C at the majority of reporting Met Éireann stations for the month of June to give a greater level of perspective as to the amount of warmth this month. It is ordered by warmest to lowest mean max values.

I haven't included all stations as gathering and analysing this data is extremely time consuming and to be honest, quite a tedious task.

All data from Met Éireann.

Here's the rest of the stations to save you the tedious task :).

Station|Mean max|Actual max|22c|25c|27c|30c
    Phoenix Park|21.1|27.9|8|2|2|0
    Knock Airport|19.5|28.9|10|5|3|0
    Roches Point|19.1|23.4|5|0|0|0
    Mace Head|18.8|29.2|5|4|4|0
    Sherkin Island|18.5|24.1|4|0|0|0

All data comes from Met Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

Yes looking like the warmest in the country tomorrow. Just wondering how do you get the Celsius readings for the ECM on weather.us. I can only see Fahrenheit.

Click on the little gear icon in the blue bar at the top right for settings.

Good sunshine for a lot of areas tomorrow, quite breezy on coasts.

tempresult_wrn9.gif

tempresult_wda2.gif

Go into settings ( top right of the page )
    K6VPNvr.png

you have the option to change it to Celsius there and also local time etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭Mark Horgan

Tempatures down south coast tomorrow meteorite58?

• Advertisement

Tempatures down south coast tomorrow meteorite58?

Around 26C in from the coasts as there will be a fairly fresh breeze keeping temperatures down on the coast itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Still 19.5 degrees here and humidity has rocketed up to 70% in Tramore, Co. Waterford.

Wind has gotten stronger but its lovely with the windows open. Pity about all the bugs it's blowing in though :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Think the forecast was for cloud and fresher conditions on thur and fri for the north west so looks like the heat will be staying further south this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Syranbruen only 17 you have me questioning what I've done with my life! Fair play to you. I hope you can make a very successful career out of this. You can see the passion in your posts especially the historic ones. Keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

cool night and the wind has dropped.Still and silent.

met.ie says it is 9 out there; first time in single figures for a while... Rather refreshing.

West Mayo, offshore island..

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

If there is no decent rain in the next 10 days and with that high pressure possibly hanging around the reservoirs will start to drop very quickly. We could be looking at nightly cutoffs and reduced pressure at night.

I always thought the Irish Water saga needed a summer like this to bring a bit of clarity about the whole waste of water. No doubt we will hear a lot about metering over the next while. I presume householders can view those meters to see how much water they are using.

Big change in temperature today but higher humidity making it uncomfortable. Hopefully some nice weather will come back but the country could do with a day or 2 of a drenching.

A woman on newstalk this morning saying that there is a 50% loss of water in the Irish water pipes. She was saying that if these where all fixed then there would be no need for a hose pipe ban.
    We are the worst country in western Europe for water loss in pipes that in some cases are 140 years old

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

[/quote]
    17 ? Ah Jaysus if you aren't running met eireann in ten years time then I'll be very disappointed.[/quote]

The jesuits have it totally sown up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

"
    17 ? Ah Jaysus if you aren't running met eireann in ten years time then I'll be very disappointed"

The jesuits have it totally sown up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

There’s plenty of rainfall in Ireland the water system hasn’t enough reservoirs in the Dublin area to store that up for dry weather.

If you think about it, no major reservoirs have been built since the mid 20th century, yet the the population in that region is probably >400% bigger and water consumption may have increased (people don’t just have a bath once a week ..)

I remember Ireland produced figures for the EU putting us as having the highest water consumption rates in the entire bloc. It turned out these were an estimate based on leakage and also some extrapolation, possibly based on *US* figures. The result was the EU thought we were leaving the taps on 24/7.

When proper meter surveys were conducted, it shows Ireland as below EU average water consumption. Makes sense : cool climate (no swimming pools or irrigation), same appliances as everyone else and often very low flow showers. We are far from the water wasting country that was portrayed by the original “stats”.

Endlessly putting blame on householders and business for what is bad infrastructure really isn’t fair. People are mostly doing their best to conserve water. The failed system is making life very unpleasant and we urgently need to prepare for more unpredictability in the weather patterns, which could well include longer dry spells like this and also intense flooding.

We can’t just continue not put appropriate infrastructure in place and then blame end users behavior for shortages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Wow, our resident weather expert wasn't even born in the 20th century!! Doesn't that make the rest of us feel old?!!

Sryanbruen, I clearly remember that summer of 95. It was the first summer I was able to drive and I mived to Limerick and started a new job in Shannon on July 1st of that year. I remember I couldn't get over the non stop hot weather and going for walks in the evenings when it was still 25c at 9pm and going for drinks in many since closed Limerick city pubs, sitting outside into the wee hours thinking we were in Spain!! I remember great summers before it, 89 and 90 and after, 03, 06 and 13 but nothing tops the summer of 95 for me! Edwyn Collins "Girl like you", Bobby Brown "Two can Play that game" always bring me back to that summer when I hear them!!!

Happy days!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement