Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Strange day in Castlebar, currently it is the coldest it has been since midnight, but still the temperature has stayed between 14C-15C with very little fluctuation, humidity has been stuck between 79% and 89% since midnight as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭pad199207

Wind is annoying now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Bank this ECM 12z ensemble mean! Amazing agreement (which is very worrying when you think about it).

KYJcGRG.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Chart below shows mean maxima, high max and the No. of days with temps equal or greater to 22/25/27/30 deg.C at the majority of reporting Met Éireann stations for the month of June to give a greater level of perspective as to the amount of warmth this month. It is ordered by warmest to lowest mean max values.

pGRjPxo.png

I haven't included all stations as gathering and analysing this data is extremely time consuming and to be honest, quite a tedious task.

All data from Met Éireann.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Gael23 wrote: »
    Today was definitely cooler but very high humidity.
    2003 is the nicest summer I’m old enough to remember but it wasn’t as good as this for as long

2006 and 2013??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Bank this ECM 12z ensemble mean! Amazing agreement (which is very worrying when you think about it).

Worrying? How so?

Worrying? How so?

Drought.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Worrying? How so?

No rain,farmers etc need rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

sryanbruen wrote: »

KYJcGRG.png

This is the type of set up where temperature records can be broken.

ECMOPEU12_240_2.png

High enough confidence in it getting hot again from Thursday onward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

This is the type of set up where temperature records can be broken.

High enough confidence in it getting hot again from Thursday onward.

Is there a realistic possibility of 32c happening again around July 10th if these charts verify?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Jesus tonight is probably one of the warmest indoors, humidity must be a lot higher even though today’s temps were about 5 less than the past few days...
    Currently about 17 with not a hint of a breeze...

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭22michael44

Gael23 wrote: »
    Today was definitely cooler but very high humidity.
    2003 is the nicest summer I’m old enough to remember but it wasn’t as good as this for as long

i'm not great at recalling periods of weather but i'm sure 2013 was pretty hot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

17.8 DegC @ 76% humidity in North Cork atm.. feeling very mild!

Please fcuk off humidity and give us back 31 DegC @ 30% :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

It sure is a roaster in Cork this evening.
    With an off shore Northerly tomorrow records could go for the South tomorrow.
    28C upwards....
    Anyone know what's Cork all time record?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Comhra wrote: »
    Is there a realistic possibility of 32c happening again around July 10th if these charts verify?

It's long way out and won't happen exactly like that but, yes, that's a real possibility. A lot depends on how the high pressure is orientated but with that profile and the forecast atmospheric conditions above in parts of the west and mid west you could well see over 30c.

Again though it won't be exactly like that and small changes can make a big difference.

It sure is a roaster in Cork this evening.
    With an off shore Northerly tomorrow records could go for the South tomorrow.
    28C upwards....
    Anyone know what's Cork all time record?

For Cork Airport, it's 28.7c on 14th July 1983.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Was sitting in a garden in west Dublin all day and it felt like one of the hottest days yet around here, maybe just a sheltered sun trap but I had to go inside a few times to cool down! Cooler breeze out there now but another great day.

Also I never thought I'd see the day where the prospect of settled high pressure would be considered 'worrying' in Ireland, for the second time in 3 months it looks like we're experiencing a spell of weather we're going to be telling grandkids about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

What's the really bright star out west, just left of where the sun sets? Presume it's a planet.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

What's the really bright star out west, just left of where the sun sets? Presume it's a planet.

Venus to the west and Jupiter is in the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

irishfeen wrote: »
    17.8 DegC @ 76% humidity in North Cork atm.. feeling very mild!

Please fcuk off humidity and give us back 31 DegC @ 30% :)

It was funny last night watching people in my company putting on hoodies and jackets once the temperature dropped to a "cool enough" 18c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

If there is no decent rain in the next 10 days and with that high pressure possibly hanging around the reservoirs will start to drop very quickly. We could be looking at nightly cutoffs and reduced pressure at night.

I always thought the Irish Water saga needed a summer like this to bring a bit of clarity about the whole waste of water. No doubt we will hear a lot about metering over the next while. I presume householders can view those meters to see how much water they are using.

Big change in temperature today but higher humidity making it uncomfortable. Hopefully some nice weather will come back but the country could do with a day or 2 of a drenching.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭Mark Horgan

Parents need to curtail their teenagers having 45 minute showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

It feels like we have had this good weather since the 20th of May, i wouldn't mind a small break.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Bodan wrote: »
    It feels like we have had this good weather since the 20th of May, i wouldn't mind a small break.

Nah it's summer...we get enough mundane weather as it it.
    2018 will go down in history for its continental extremes since late February.
    Any moaning should be book marked for next summer when we have June north westerlies with temps in low teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

This has probably been asked, so apologies, but how does this compare to 95? That summer is my reference point for seriously hot in Ireland and I've no idea how long the heat actually lasted (or when it begun then).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

20.9c at 11.20pm in Waterford City. Looks like the heat will be in the South East for the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Still 20.6 degrees down here in Cork City. Heat not leaving here yet

This has probably been asked, so apologies, but how does this compare to 95? That summer is my reference point for seriously hot in Ireland and I've no idea how long the heat actually lasted (or when it begun then).

The first week of June 1995 was cool and dull but dry. The second and third week tended to be warmer with some warm days but generally average temperature wise overall. The last week (mainly starting on June 21st) was very sunny with increasingly warm to hot temperatures topping out at 30.2c. A cold front brought cooler air on July 1st southwards. The first half of July 1995 was on and off warm days really with some thundery showers. The second half was very warm with many of the days successfully reaching 20c or more. This period would last into August (getting up to 31.5c on August 2nd) and wouldn't end 'til around the 23rd August when a northwesterly and soon northerly flow brought down much colder air. Temperatures for the remaining days of August were in the mid to high teens - touching 20c or so in the continuous strong sunshine which didn't disappear in this cooler spell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Unusual to get such good weather post leaving cert. Don't remember any particularly sunny days during the lc this year bar maybe one or two. Leaving cert class of 2018 were some lucky b@stards weren't they to get the good weather after it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭pad199207

Down to 16c now Jesus!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement