Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

If you can, set a shallow tray/dish of water near where they are foraging. Or a deeper tray with some rocks/marbles in it so it's easier for them to drink without drowning. They need water too, and it's harder to find in this gorgeous weather :cool:

I left out a bowl of water on my wall for the birds the other day, havnt seen a bird since but saw a big dirty rat drinking it last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Top 5 warmest Junes on record in Shannon:

Mean temperature
    1970: 16.0c
    2009: 15.9c
    2010/1976: 15.8c
    1992/1995: 15.7c
    2016: 15.6c.

June 2018 provisional figure: 17.0c, the highest in this station's records going back to 1945.

Data from Met Éireann.

Top 5 warmest Junes on record at Claremorris

1. 1970 - 14.9c
    2. 2009 - 14.7c
    3. 2016 - 14.6c
    4. 1988/2005/2010 - 14.4c
    5. 1992 - 14.3c

June 2018: 15.4c

Data comes from Met Éireann.

honeybear wrote: »
    North Tipp-26 with a beautiful slight breeze. Could not go back to 31 of last week. This is bliss��

its bliss if you can move around and get that breeze, or get that shade, its not bliss working in a hot office sitting beside a window with a dead heat beating off the building. :eek:

I left out a bowl of water on my wall for the birds the other day, havnt seen a bird since but saw a big dirty rat drinking it last night.

yeah what are the birds doing? I keep leaving out dishes of water in nice quiet spots that they usually visit like flowerbeds and near the bird feeder. But I haven't seen any drinking at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

yeah what are the birds doing? I keep leaving out dishes of water in nice quiet spots that they usually visit like flowerbeds and near the bird feeder. But I haven't seen any drinking at all?
    Noticed this as well , birds are very quiet only noticeable when we were sitting out on one of the cooler evenings and they were singing away, not a peep from them today or the warmer evenings..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭22michael44

Depending on where you live in Ireland, Dublin was exceptionally dry when you look at the calendar year 2017 as a whole. Dublin airport met station reported only 660mm of rain in the entire year. For some context, London tends to average between 600-700mm per year, Glasgow averages over 1,000mm, Cardiff gets over 1,100mm, Manchester nearly 900mm.
    Looking at historical data, Dublin is actually one of the driest places if you were to combine Ireland and the UK. Even in 2016, Dublin only recorded 713mm.
    Parts of the west of Ireland get up to 2,000mm of rain, Cork gets an average around 1,300mm. While I wouldn't disagree with people saying Ireland is quite a wet country, I think it is often exaggerated........Dublin itself is statistically not a wet city and from looking at Met Eireann data, it appears to be quite consistently the driest place in Ireland. Maybe the Wicklow mountains take some of the moisture but it is strange that it is so much drier than other parts of the country.
    You might be surprised but looking at annual rainfall data for some large European cities, the following are just some of the cities that get more rainfall annually than Dublin (this is based on 30 years of data similar to what Met Eireann track). Nearly all the below get under 1,000mm of rain each year but get over the Dublin average of around 740mm:
    Amsterdam, Brussels, Andorra, Cologne, Hamburg, Glasgow, Luxembourg, Lyon, Milan, Manchester, Munich, Cardiff, Leeds, Edinburgh, liverpool.

Nobody in the world exaggerates anything as much as Irish people exaggerate how much it rains.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Well, to be fair, I was observing some bees earlier and they seem happy and content (not the usual angry and flustered)...so there are positives out there.

Granted it's not for everyone.

I like it though.

:cool:

Bees actually don't "like" hot weather much either, in the sense that they have to switch from collecting nectar to collecting water to cool the hive, so they're wasting time in a sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Storm 10

In relation to the birds I have left out water every day in a dish and not seen a single bird in the garden since this heatwave began, they don't even come to the feeders anymore, is it too hot for them or are they cooling down in trees, baffled to be honest.

Provisional stats are in from the Met Office for the UK, 33.2c was provisionally recorded at Motherwell making it Scotland's all-time record high temperature for any month beating 32.9c in August 2003. However, this is still subject to change.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/2018/june-end-of-month-stats

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Had a closed up pine cone in my window and this morning I could hear it crackling and splitting open with the heat.
    26c here in Enniscorthy but the breeze is making it quite pleasant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Did I hear someone say we are due 2 weeks of fine weather?
    I am thinking of booking a holiday in Kerry next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

this is the hottest it has felt at any stage in the last two weeks in Cork. A north breeze has a 300km fetch over hot land by the time ot reaches us. scorching.

I noticed that Cork seemed like one of the hotspots on Met Éireann a while ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

yeah I get that but I do still think in general people exaggerate how wet Ireland is (not saying you specifically). It would be interesting to see the average rainfall each year taking in the four provinces for example. I am sure the averages would fluctuate greatly between the four. Presumably Munster and Connaught would be far wetter than Leinster and Ulster overall but I could be wrong. I wonder what the wettest province is, presumably a close call between Munster and Connaught but only guessing.

I have to agree.

I’ve done a lot of year-round cycling in both Cork and Dublin and it was actually quite rare to get rained upon. Firstly, we tend to get showers rather than persistent rain. And on many days, it just looks like it’s going to rain but doesn’t.

The reason the 2007-2012 string of terrible summers were so shocking to us all was because of the sheer amount of rain that fell. We’re not actually used to getting that much rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Did I hear someone say we are due 2 weeks of fine weather?
    I am thinking of booking a holiday in Kerry next week.

Correct. Long term forecast doesn't have any bad weather on the horizon. I don't think they can forecast that 14 days out though. The next week at least looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Storm 10 wrote: »
    In relation to the birds I have left out water every day in a dish and not seen a single bird in the garden since this heatwave began, they don't even come to the feeders anymore, is it too hot for them or are they cooling down in trees, baffled to be honest.

I have sparrows nesting in the stone wall right by my door and they yell at me every day... Looked it up and sparrows have 3 clutches a year, sometimes 4 .... I hear the skylark daily too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

25.4C here in Glasnevin now.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Nobody in the world exaggerates anything as much as Irish people exaggerate how much it rains.

Yes, its becoming annoying when you keep hearing things like it rained non stop all year, and a week of good weather suddenly has us needing hose pipe bans, etc

If we get a more typical second half of Summer, we'll have the usual moaning about it being a terrible summer, with the current spell downplayed as just being "a few nice days in June."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    25.4C here in Glasnevin now.

i see its 26c now at Roches Point. Its never 26c at Roches Point.... The hot northerly wind makes it even worse.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

27 in cork City right now. Was shopping in the city and it’s roastig in the sun. Breeze is also very warm.

EDIT: car is reading 30 now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I'm thinking of booking a holiday in Iceland. I could do with a bit of cold :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Exaggerated so much in fact, that to the minds of rest of the world, Ireland is a place where it rains non-stop. Look at any data from Met Éireann, even the minute/5 minute ones and even at the wetter stations, recorded rainfall occurs only about 3-6% of the time, even in the wettest months. It is a rare day indeed that we get a spell of rain that continues unbroken for 18 to 24hrs, not mind for weeks on end!

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

High temperatures around the country again today, got up to 21.2C out here by the coast in Kerry and currently 21C with the at times brisk breeze after calming right down. Might get a higher temperature yet :)

temp_uk_wvr3.png

NASA Sat Pic from today.

M8TVExx.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Just for those asking re birds being quiet: Most species will be busy with breeding season and won't spend so much time singing. In the hot weather most will be active in the very early morning, with less activity over lunch time. Most of the commoner garden birds also focus more on catching insects over the summer months to feed youngsters, though they will still visit feeders at times to stock up themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

The birds out my way form an orderly queue by my pond and one at a time hop onto a lily pad and have a bath and a drink, this goes on all day !

Should start charging them...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I've noticed that the roads have become very smooth here in Kerry with road tyre noise much quieter, presumably from the tar melting and the stone settling more into it. In places it is looking a very smooth black surface and had me thinking that if we get rain on top of it then it could become quite slippery and possibly dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I've an army of goldfinches, a robin and an odd starling emptying my feeder every day. Shallow bowl of water under the feeder has a steady flow of small birds drinking out of it this last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I'd been really enjoying the heatwave but I've developed some kind of really extreme hay fever that actually nearly resembles a cold at this stage. The pollen count must be extremely high. I don't normally get hay fever.

You guys seemed to love the Summer 1976 video so here's a Summer 1995 counterpart to it that I made. Unfortunately, there isn't much footage or pictures of Summer 1995 as there is of Summer 1976 that I can find (thanks to those who allowed me to). Hope you enjoy it anyway.

1995 is more comparable to 2018 in terms of drought than 1976.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Surprisingly my usually very bad hayfever has been so much better in this heat. I notice that too when I go abroad the warmer countries lessen my hayfever. I’m delighted lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I wonder is 26C a record for roches point?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement