Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Inviere wrote: »
    Its €2 Billion (two billion euro!) inception killed credibility instantly for many. It'd have taken decades or more to even pay for itself, let alone upgrade and maintain infrastructure. Golden pensions, jobs for the boys, insert any cynical/stereotypically cliched oppositional statement you want, they largely apply in the case of Irish Water.

We need a clean, transparent, modern, efficient, well run model to raise revenue to update our Victorian-era water system. Something genuine, something we can all get behind, something not Irish Water and the type of political skullduggery it stands for. Metered usage with fair/realistic allowances that punish wastage of water, not usage of water.

I too am surprised at the Irish Water love-in. Lest we forget, it was set up as a bloated wasteful superquango with some very dodgy appointments and contracts. And the stupid taxpayer was expected to turn a blind eye and pay for it. HSE Mark II.

Let's recall what Alan Duke said about it;
    "A glorious, god-awful mess has been made of Irish Water. We've ended up with a system now that no rational person would have invented if they had sat down to put this kind of system together. The hope must be that it will work lamely until some sort of coherent system is put in place."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Inviere

sryanbruen wrote: »
    "Throughout the next two weeks"

Oh sweet mercy :o What I wouldn't give for a downpour at the mo!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

People this year will want to go on holidays to experience rain at this rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Infrastructure costs money. The government is bound by EU agreements on debt and deficit. We are over the debt ceiling in terms of GDP per capita. It is falling, but only because of GDP growth. Whether you like austerity or not, thats the fact. The government is limited in how it finances anything.

The point of Irish water was to create a semi state which could issue its own bonds, or get credit, to build out the infrastructure without that going on the State's books. When you are looking for loans, you need revenue.

Besides that individual use of water in a drought would obviously be affected by the increase in price per usage, at the moment we have the tragedy of the commons.

The fact that it has to be done as a panicked, expensive, emegency retrofit speaks volumes for the way this country was run for much of the last 50 years. This infrastructure should have been built with the expansion of the cities, not as a crisis measure. We had plenty of money to do this slowly over the last 40-50 years. However, we didn’t.

Countries with much less income and far worse climates manage to meet these challenges and also provide for things like huge scale agricultural irrigation.

Blaming the EU is a way of passing the buck, like the Brexiteers do in Britain. It’s failed *Irish* planning and infrastructural spending that caused this. Not some external bogeyman.

We need climate oriented planning that ensures we don’t have fresh and waste water issues. This stuff is very serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭pauldry

RobertKK wrote: »
    People this year will want to go on holidays to experience rain at this rate.

Never!

Wev had 23 years of rain.

We need a break

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

This is the very prediction that climate change people were saying would happen. It will be interesting to see if it is a once off or more part of a longer term pattern. Last summer was also very dry but we didn't have the sun.

Last Summer.... very dry?

I'm sorry. What!? :P

Summer 2017 was the wettest Summer since 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I thought it was dull and cold rather than very wet. Maybe it was the autumn that was very dry as I remember we were saying on here how it had been very dry for that period before we got the very wet spell.

• Advertisement

I thought it was dull and cold rather than very wet. Maybe it was the autumn that was very dry as I remember we were saying on here how it had been very dry for that period before we got the very wet spell.

No, it was July 2016 to May 2017 that was very dry (bar February/March). The very wet weather began in June 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭pauldry

correct and it rained till April 2018.

Dry since then mind. Id say August will get revenge on us! So going to take holidays now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

pauldry wrote: »

Dry since then mind. Id say August will get revenge on us! So going to take holidays now!!

February was very dry in Dublin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

When is this bull**** going to end?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭22michael44

pauldry wrote: »

it really didn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Oak Park reaches 25c for the eighth day in a row.
    ninth day in a row.

When is this bull**** going to end?

When we say so ;)

ninth day in a row.

Its record longest heatwave is 10 days from 14-23 August 1995.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

27.6c at mine so far today!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

When we say so ;)

It sux

• Advertisement

It sux

Well, to be fair, I was observing some bees earlier and they seem happy and content (not the usual angry and flustered)...so there are positives out there.

Granted it's not for everyone.

I like it though.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

this is the hottest it has felt at any stage in the last two weeks in Cork. A north breeze has a 300km fetch over hot land by the time ot reaches us. scorching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Depending on where you live in Ireland, Dublin was exceptionally dry when you look at the calendar year 2017 as a whole. Dublin airport met station reported only 660mm of rain in the entire year. For some context, London tends to average between 600-700mm per year, Glasgow averages over 1,000mm, Cardiff gets over 1,100mm, Manchester nearly 900mm.
    Looking at historical data, Dublin is actually one of the driest places if you were to combine Ireland and the UK. Even in 2016, Dublin only recorded 713mm.
    Parts of the west of Ireland get up to 2,000mm of rain, Cork gets an average around 1,300mm. While I wouldn't disagree with people saying Ireland is quite a wet country, I think it is often exaggerated........Dublin itself is statistically not a wet city and from looking at Met Eireann data, it appears to be quite consistently the driest place in Ireland. Maybe the Wicklow mountains take some of the moisture but it is strange that it is so much drier than other parts of the country.
    You might be surprised but looking at annual rainfall data for some large European cities, the following are just some of the cities that get more rainfall annually than Dublin (this is based on 30 years of data similar to what Met Eireann track). Nearly all the below get under 1,000mm of rain each year but get over the Dublin average of around 740mm:
    Amsterdam, Brussels, Andorra, Cologne, Hamburg, Glasgow, Luxembourg, Lyon, Milan, Manchester, Munich, Cardiff, Leeds, Edinburgh, liverpool.

Depending on where you live in Ireland, Dublin was exceptionally dry when you look at the calendar year 2017 as a whole. Dublin airport met station reported only 660mm of rain in the entire year. For some context, London tends to average between 600-700mm per year, Glasgow averages over 1,000mm, Cardiff gets over 1,100mm, Manchester nearly 900mm.
    Looking at historical data, Dublin is actually one of the driest places if you were to combine Ireland and the UK. Even in 2016, Dublin only recorded 713mm.
    Parts of the west of Ireland get up to 2,000mm of rain, Cork gets an average around 1,300mm. While I wouldn't disagree with people saying Ireland is quite a wet country, I think it is often exaggerated........Dublin itself is statistically not a wet city and from looking at Met Eireann data, it appears to be quite consistently the driest place in Ireland. Maybe the Wicklow mountains take some of the moisture but it is strange that it is so much drier than other parts of the country.
    You might be surprised but looking at annual rainfall data for some large European cities, the following are just some of the cities that get more rainfall annually than Dublin (this is based on 30 years of data similar to what Met Eireann track). Nearly all the below get under 1,000mm of rain each year but get over the Dublin average of around 740mm:
    Amsterdam, Brussels, Andorra, Cologne, Hamburg, Glasgow, Luxembourg, Lyon, Milan, Manchester, Munich, Cardiff, Leeds, Edinburgh, liverpool.

Talking specifically Summer 2017 (June, July, August) and talking Ireland as a whole.

I love the sun and the heat but my God this is getting incredibly difficult to work in.
    I am in an office with no air con and the sun beating off the outside walls. I'm almost asleep.
    That's why they have siestas in Mediterranean countries - struggling big time today!

Talking specifically Summer 2017 (June, July, August) and talking Ireland as a whole.
    yeah I get that but I do still think in general people exaggerate how wet Ireland is (not saying you specifically). It would be interesting to see the average rainfall each year taking in the four provinces for example. I am sure the averages would fluctuate greatly between the four. Presumably Munster and Connaught would be far wetter than Leinster and Ulster overall but I could be wrong. I wonder what the wettest province is, presumably a close call between Munster and Connaught but only guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Lepidoptera

Well, to be fair, I was observing some bees earlier and they seem happy and content (not the usual angry and flustered)...so there are positives out there.

Granted it's not for everyone.

I like it though.

:cool:

If you can, set a shallow tray/dish of water near where they are foraging. Or a deeper tray with some rocks/marbles in it so it's easier for them to drink without drowning. They need water too, and it's harder to find in this gorgeous weather :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭sjb25

That's why they have siestas in Mediterranean countries - struggling big time today!

I put a motion forward national emergency siestas every day till this is over do I have second to the motion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

North Tipp-26 with a beautiful slight breeze. Could not go back to 31 of last week. This is bliss😀

• Advertisement

Meanwhile 27 degrees at Oak Park met station, that is the highest at 3pm. Any other summer that would be deemed a high temperature but almost becoming the norm this summer :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement