Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE World Cup Coverage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,212 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Kerr lovely fella but have to agree with others posters, can't stand listening to him. Always switch over to British coverage when he's on

Yes, lad has a whine, a nasal whine which, I certainly, and now obviously others can’t stand.

How is the lad getting so much airtime, I cannot understand.

Wonder how the game is going.....had to pack in listening to Kerr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Whelan is dogdoo, really bad. I wish Kevin Moran or Paul mcgrath was on the team. Houghton also, I think he's been riding the English/Italian net crest of wave for far too long and should not be offered work any more.

I don’t see the problem with either of them. They do work for other channels too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Your own English seems very limited. You are literally repeating the same line over and over and over again for the last fortnight!

And i guarantee you you are watching the game still, not fooling anyone!

Your own English seems very limited. You are literally repeating the same line over and over and over again for the last fortnight!

And i guarantee you you are watching the game still, not fooling anyone!

Not trying to fool anyone, my friend.

How did it all work out?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I like Darragh ranting about the Ref there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

Cant see the big deal regarding keepers coming off the line. Both teams did it equally

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

They should keep the analysis going on News Now if they really have to cut the coverage short and show the GAA highlights now.

That game felt underanalysed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I always liked Kerr on the commentary. He was excellent there for the penalties :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Kerr: I feel sorry for Schmieichel after making 3 great saves

HUH,, I thought he 'hated' him for dancing and moving too early on penalties!?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Was not a fan of Kerr as a manager but he's fantastic as a commentator. Knows his stuff and does his research which is what really sets him apart. How many commentators bother to research Iran and Morocco ffs. The sh!te about his accent is nonsense, the fella knows his football.

Houghton and Whelan are mates of Dunphy so they'll be there for a while yet but both are painful because everything is so negative. When Kane scored England's winner against Tunisia, Whelan said something along the lines of "Well Kane scores but they don't deserve it." Fact of the matter is that England were streets ahead of Tunisia and Whelan was just being his typical negative self.

Kerr is streets ahead of any co-commentator I've listened to.

• Advertisement

Islander13 wrote: »
    Cant see the big deal regarding keepers coming off the line. Both teams did it equally

It's the context - Ireland Under 17 Keeper got a Red Card for it in a recent tournament (Brian Kerr was co-commentating on that particular game)

If it was an offence then it should be an offence now, even more so with VAR oversight

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/15/republic-of-ireland-u17s-furious-after-keeper-sent-off-during-penalty-shootout

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Skid X wrote: »
    It's the context - Ireland Under 17 Keeper got a Red Card for it in a recent tournament (Brian Kerr was co-commentating on that particular game)

If it was an offence then it should be an offence now, even more so with VAR oversight

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/15/republic-of-ireland-u17s-furious-after-keeper-sent-off-during-penalty-shootout

Exactly. The rule was clearly broken tonight. There is no disputing that. If people feel that it shouldn't matter, the rule should be changed but you can't say "ah it doesn't matter" until it is changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Was not a fan of Kerr as a manager but he's fantastic as a commentator. Knows his stuff and does his research which is what really sets him apart. How many commentators bother to research Iran and Morocco ffs. The sh!te about his accent is nonsense, the fella knows his football.

Houghton and Whelan are mates of Dunphy so they'll be there for a while yet but both are painful because everything is so negative. When Kane scored England's winner against Tunisia, Whelan said something along the lines of "Well Kane scores but they don't deserve it." Fact of the matter is that England were streets ahead of Tunisia and Whelan was just being his typical negative self.

I particularly hate to listen to Whelan. Houghton is very dour and negative, but I definitely get a hint of bitterness to Whelan's commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yes, lad has a whine, a nasal whine which, I certainly, and now obviously others can’t stand.

How is the lad getting so much airtime, I cannot understand.

Wonder how the game is going.....had to pack in listening to Kerr.
    It's Dublinese lad. That's the way they talk up there.

I agree with you that it's not suitable for the national airwaves but you're going to have to learn to get over it.

There's nothing we can do about it.

It's Dublinese lad. That's the way they talk up there.

I agree with you that it's not suitable for the national airwaves but you're going to have to learn to get over it.

There's nothing we can do about it.

You are not wrong, Deft.not wrong at all unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

DeanAustin wrote: »

He would certainly make the most boring Irish international game far more entertaining than it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The Irish lad was wayyyyyy off his line before the ball was kicked.

IMO there's a difference between coming off the line and taking a step off the line to give spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dammo

They should keep the analysis going on News Now if they really have to cut the coverage short and show the GAA highlights now.

That game felt underanalysed.

Now there’s a line I thought I’d never hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭wawaman

Cadre Cola wrote: »
    Any sign of Hope Solo? I'm interested to hear her punditry. Seems like she knows what she's talking about.

she is starting today

• Advertisement

Richie, Keith and Hope on the Panel this afternoon.

It hasn't turned violent yet.

Is Kerr doing the commentary on the Belgium game.

Hopefully not........ aah it’s Whelan, not great but better than the boy Kerr.

I didn’t get the whine.....

Patww79 wrote: »

Steady up!

No need to change anything,Whelan is not half as intrusive.

Not great, but doesn’t try to confuse by continually name checking obscure players.

Much clearer and informative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

He's clearly a Troll.

Good lad Richard Dunne.

Senior man when it comes to mangling the English language.

Card carrying member of the ‘done,seen,them,went’ club.

Terrible stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Ronnie is awful, a new level of dour negativity .

A great break by Belgium and he hangs Honda

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Did Didi say "when Fellaini plays for Everton"or was it when he "played?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭wawaman

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Ronnie is awful, a new level of dour negativity .

A great break by Belgium and he hangs Honda

Anyone hear him call Belgium “holland” a couple of times?

Advertisement