Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE World Cup Coverage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,182 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Ryle would be acting in time honoured senior executive style. There. Make a decision and not be around long enough to deal with the fallout.

At least he made the decision, otherwise you would have three ‘Larry Gogans’ doing the analysis.

Now if only he had gotten rid of Kerr....and a few others whose mangling of the language is of epic proportions.

Time to clean this lot up.

Done did
    Seen saw
    Went gone
    Them those

Few cue cards with those simple basics could clean out a lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Ronnie is up to speed in fairness………them runs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

It would be an honour to welcome him back into our living rooms.

If he'll still have us that is.

Don't think John was too impressed with Nugent showing him the door.

I'd bring him back for a game or two for the nostalgia factor. But he is a bit too old at this stage, seems a little 'bothered' to word it as kindly as possible.

Dunphy and Brady are still fully with it, or as much as they have ever been.

Also I think a factor that played into it is that Giles isn't based in Ireland, and would have been on a 'senior analyst' wage. I reckon it cost too much to bring him over for what was gotten in return.

Finally, the 3 amigos had to be broken up. Blooding in some 'young' guns has been a welcome change to the panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

I'd bring him back for a game or two for the nostalgia factor. But he is a bit too old at this stage, seems a little 'bothered' to word it as kindly as possible.

Dunphy and Brady are still fully with it, or as much as they have ever been.

Also I think a factor that played into it is that Giles isn't based in Ireland, and would have been on a 'senior analyst' wage. I reckon it cost too much to bring him over for what was gotten in return.

Finally, the 3 amigos had to be broken up. Blooding in some 'young' guns has been a welcome change to the panels.

Unfortunately Dunphy I think, has gone downhill in recent years. I see he has been pushed down to the end of the studio table too.

Surely his last world cup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

trixiebust wrote: »
    Unfortunately Dunphy I think, has gone downhill in recent years. I see he has been pushed down to the end of the studio table too.

Surely his last world cup?

His podcast seems to be going from strength to strength. So I can't see him being pushed, nor can I see him quiting. He's here to stay for the foreseeable future.

He'll keep his cash flowing in.

Villas in France and 90% pure Columbian are expensive baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

trixiebust wrote:

Wasn't he always sitting there?, it used to be Giles,then Brady in the middle and Dunphy at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Kenny Cunningham will be talking to Brenda Donohue on Radio 1 about the World Cup shortly.

What has he done to deserve that?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,303 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 32,303 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,584 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Jacqui Hurley just doesn’t do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,552 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Dr. Bre wrote: »

Nobody will come close to Bill for a very long time.

Dr. Bre wrote: »

If she could ‘soften up’ a bit she would be good.

Comes across as very harsh, both in delivery and presentation.

Has promise if she could address those points, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,202 ✭✭✭bobbyss

If she could ‘soften up’ a bit she would be good.

Comes across as very harsh, both in delivery and presentation.

Has promise if she could address those points, in my opinion.

Yes that's what I feel too. Kind of rough and ready. There's another lady in rte can't remember her name. She does the rugby (joanna cantwell?) and she strikes me as sweet and very well informed. I like her a lot. With Ms Hurley I feel she might just pick up a sliothar and go for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 spanner555

Ronnie says..."couldn't believe that from up here". So does that imply he's actually there, or is he just showing us his acting skills.
    I'd imagine ger canning will be doing the hurling tomorrow. .. kazan to thurles

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Was Ger Canning doing the France v Argentina game on RTE ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,597 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Yep with Ronnie Whelan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

It freaks my bleedin' nut out that Mbappe wasn't born the last time France won the World Cup (which feels like only yesterday), or when Hanson released that song about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

spanner555 wrote: »
    Ronnie says..."couldn't believe that from up here". So does that imply he's actually there, or is he just showing us his acting skills.
    I'd imagine ger canning will be doing the hurling tomorrow. .. kazan to thurles

I was wondering that myself. As far as I understood, George Hamilton and Ronnie were the only commentators in Russia.

I do doubt Ger Canning is there now... So was Ger commentating from Dublin and Ronnie from the stadium? :confused:

Although George is commentating with Ray Houghton this evening so maybe Ronnie is in Dublin now.

bobbyss wrote: »
    Yes that's what I feel too. Kind of rough and ready. There's another lady in rte can't remember her name. She does the rugby (joanna cantwell?) and she strikes me as sweet and very well informed. I like her a lot. With Ms Hurley I feel she might just pick up a sliothar and go for you.

Joanne Cantwell.....easily the best of that lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Chev_Chelios

I don't have much time for rte but I think they're doing a decent job with the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

George Hamilton just ruins everything. Can't to the players apart. Goalkeeper just saved a shot about a yard inside the post and George says it came off the post.

I wonder does he know he's losing it?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Pussyhands wrote: »
    George Hamilton just ruins everything. Can't to the players apart. Goalkeeper just saved a shot about a yard inside the post and George says it came off the post.

I wonder does he know he's losing it?

I'm pretty sure it was Houghton who said that.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Apres Match are absolutely ****e these days

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I was wondering that myself. As far as I understood, George Hamilton and Ronnie were the only commentators in Russia.

I do doubt Ger Canning is there now... So was Ger commentating from Dublin and Ronnie from the stadium? :confused:

Although George is commentating with Ray Houghton this evening so maybe Ronnie is in Dublin now.

Was wondering the same... Are they doing some split location commentary... Seems very unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 19,597 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Brian Kerr in the stadium.

That'll do nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,229 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ol' Donie wrote: »

That'll do nicely.

Well technically not, he's round the back of where the panel sit.

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »

That'll do nicely.

Sweet lord Kerr is on the Den Cro gay-amm.

“Hits it into his feeeeeh”

I’ll see how long I can take it.

Advertisement