Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE World Cup Coverage

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Husker Du

youtube! wrote: »
    Get in Belgium! No hope for Hope ! (or Brasil )
    Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    youtube! wrote: »
    I may be wrong with an s but so are you with a capital Z !

No. You were right the first time. Brasil is how it’s spelt in Portuguese. ;)

I hate spelling/grammar Nazi’s. Especially ill-informed ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Found Kerr very difficult to listen to tonight.

We switched over at half time as my Dad was becoming agitated.

Cursing and slamming the coffee table with the palm of his hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Your dad would want to relax

• Registered Users Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Your dad or your toddler, I'm confused. Thought Kerr was as good as always tonight, some funny anecdotes thrown in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,591 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I'm sorry the World Cup is nearly over.

But I do need some time away from Ronnie Whelan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Sadlier the best pundit by a mile

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Hope we get Brian Kerr for the final.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Hope we get Brian Kerr for the final.

Seemingly Kerr will be doing the third place playoff with Adrian Eames.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭amacca

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Sadlier the best pundit by a mile

Sometimes I think he reminds me of someone constipated before he's about to deliver a response to a question...

Sort of like he's on the bowl straining.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Dammo

Gutted that i have to watch england’s matches on BBC/ITV. It’s awful but better than Whelan or Houghton. There’s enough depression in the world without having to suffer those two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭iseegirls

George Hamiltons commentary is really starting to jar with me over the past year. There are numerous times throughout every match where he names the incorrect player. In the match tonight, constantly misnaming of players like Giroud and Greizmann, Pogba and Matuidi. It's occurring way too frequently.

Amazingly he didn't mention that Man Utd scored 2 goals in injury time back in the 90s CL final, something which he always states when a team is down by a goal going into stoppage time.

Added time of 3 minutes at the end he states, but then has to be recorrected by Ronnie that it's 6 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

iseegirls wrote: »
    George Hamiltons commentary is really starting to jar with me over the past year. There are numerous times throughout every match where he names the incorrect player. In the match tonight, constantly misnaming of players like Giroud and Greizmann, Pogba and Matuidi. It's occurring way too frequently.

Amazingly he didn't mention that Man Utd scored 2 goals in injury time back in the 90s CL final, something which he always states when a team is down by a goal going into stoppage time.

Added time of 3 minutes at the end he states, but then has to be recorrected by Ronnie that it's 6 minutes.

I think his eyes might be gone. Or at least to enough of a degree where they are failing him in regards to doing commentary to a high level.

I think his eyes might be gone. Or at least to enough of a degree where they are failing him in regards to doing commentary to a high level.

I remember him doing RTE commentary as far back as the 1978 World Cup so after 40 years it probably is time for him to hang up the microphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Who's doing the commentary for the England match?

Who's doing the commentary for the England match?

Seemingly Hamilton and Houghton

Seemingly Hamilton and Houghton

I'll stick to RTE so!

Does that mean that we'll have to suffer through Kerr for the final? :(

I'll stick to RTE so!

Does that mean that we'll have to suffer through Kerr for the final? :(

Adrian Eames and Kerr will be doing the third place playoff. Hamilton and either Whelan or Houghton for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I don't think they are. I think he's just going senile.

An offside will be given and he'll say it was a free kick.

A linesman will flag for a throw and he'll say it's for the other direction. You don't need amazing sight to know this.

How tf can you mistake Matuidi for Mbappe. One is tanned, short and right footed and the other is black, tall and left footed. He must know he gets everything wrong but he won't retire like he owes us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Pussyhands wrote: »
    I don't think they are. I think he's just going senile.

An offside will be given and he'll say it was a free kick.

A linesman will flag for a throw and he'll say it's for the other direction. You don't need amazing sight to know this.

How tf can you mistake Matuidi for Mbappe. One is tanned, short and right footed and the other is black, tall and left footed. He must know he gets everything wrong but he won't retire like he owes us.

They are both more or less the same height so I dont know who you are looking at :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Even looking at the highlights of the game this morning on Ireland AM, can clearly hear him say Pogba has scored, only then to say a few seconds later that it wasn't him. I just think its embarrassing. This is a reoccurring event with him.

Are any of the Irish radio stations covering the game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Didn't see it earlier, they did a good pre-match montage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Patww79 wrote: »

It was in the schedules alright, I thought they might drop it after the Semi Final went to Extra Time.

Good Doc, weird to see it there following the RTE coverage after he was let go from the Panel against his will.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,169 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Skid X wrote: »
    It was in the schedules alright, I thought they might drop it after the Semi Final went to Extra Time.

Good Doc, weird to see it there following the RTE coverage after he was let go from the Panel against his will.

To be fair, he was getting a bit meandering in his comments. Just getting old I suppose.

Do you ever listen to him on OTB on radio? Sweet Jesus, everything he talks about in football has to be linked to the time he played for Leeds! Its soul destroying to listen to.

Sometimes you have to let people go...I'd say Dunphy will soon be put out to pasture as well. He is now a pale shadow of the pundit he used to be.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Most of the time when the old days get mentioned, Giles is usually prompted by the presenter to go down that route, anyway he's usually relating a situation that happened in his days to something currently happening, if he was boasting about how great he was I could why people would find that annoying.

Yeah he's atrocious at pronouncing names and he doesn't know much about current teams, I but still like the no bullsh1t, common sense stuff he says, he is a bit old fashioned but the stuff he says resonates with me more than any of these sexy modern pundits out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,169 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Most of the time when the old days get mentioned, Giles is usually prompted by the presenter to go down that route, anyway he's usually relating a situation that happened in his days to something currently happening, if he was boasting about how great he was I could why people would find that annoying.

Yeah he's atrocious at pronouncing names and he doesn't know much about current teams, I but still like the no bullsh1t, common sense stuff he says, he is a bit old fashioned but the stuff he says resonates with me more than any of these sexy modern pundits out there.

A pet hate of mine, they should know, its their job after all.

Thats why they are paid to be on the panel, they are meant to know about the guys playing for Real Madrid, Dortmund, Juve, Benfica etc. If they don't, they shouldn't be on pontificating about them.

Dunphy has gone this way recently. There are many games you know he hasn't a clue about the manager or certain players, but he'll say that the Napoli coach is a great tactician or whatever, even though he probably doesn't watch Italian football regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

England v Croatia got enormous viewing figures on RTE2,

924,300 average + more on the RTE Player thing - that's more than watched last years All Ireland Hurling Final.
    To give this some context: only three broadcasts in 2017 garnered more viewers on RTE's traditional TV. Those were the second leg of the World Cup playoff with Denmark; the All-Ireland football final between Dublin and Mayo; and the Late Late Toy Show.

https://www.balls.ie/football/england-croatia-viewing-figures-392741

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

No-one commenting on Barry, Risteard and Gary taking over the studio for coverage of the third-place match?

Advertisement