Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE World Cup Coverage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Finally a funny Apres Match. And the return of the one Joe Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,212 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Good game tonight , soon as I heard Kerr’s whine I went over to the BBC.

HOPEFULLY the little hobbit will be on an early flight back to BA.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

You're in the minority, Bren.

Brian Kerr is making everything better.

Skid X wrote: »

No problem with that Skid, not for me though.

Could not take that man for 90 mins, but hey takes all kinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,599 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Good game tonight , soon as I heard Kerr’s whine I went over to the BBC.

HOPEFULLY the little hobbit will be on an early flight back to BA.

A constant whine, eh?

Yeah, I can see how that would be irritating.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Does the Peru manager work as a roadie for Status Quo during his spare time?

The best thing about the Maroon 5 ad is the mother's reaction to her kid not being crushed by a bus.

It's a look that says "oh, she does the funniest little things".

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    The best thing about the Maroon 5 ad is the mother's reaction to her kid not being crushed by a bus.

It's a look that says "oh, she does the funniest little things".

Why the feck is that bus going at that speed through a busy car park, I'm surprised there was no blood on it or dead pedestrians hanging off it.

RTE aren't doing flip flop job for their last group game highlights.

Finally a funny Apres Match. And the return of the one Joe Duffy.

Made me think, now that Ryle Nugent (who sacked John Giles) has gone, it's time RTE brought back Gilesy for the latter stages of the World Cup. There wouldn't be a dry eye in the house.

Give Gilesy back to the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,856 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

My favourite Brian Kerr fact so far is about a Japanese player who wears a watch on each wrist, had me thinking I should get a 2nd watch :D

https://twitter.com/RTEsoccer/status/1010926314394546176

• Advertisement

Made me think, now that Ryle Nugent (who sacked John Giles) has gone, it's time RTE brought back Gilesy for the latter stages of the World Cup. There wouldn't be a dry eye in the house.

Is Ryle gone?

How did that happen?

Damn right bring Giles back. I was thinking earlier maybe part of the charm of the three wise men was that they were always there. Now it's Eamo and/or Liam, and one or two fairly random others.

Now, I like Ritchie, and Damo, Didi, etc. But none of 'em are a permanent fixture. I like a permanent fixture.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Is Ryle gone?

How did that happen?

Damn right bring Giles back. I was thinking earlier maybe part of the charm of the three wise men was that they were always there. Now it's Eamo and/or Liam, and one or two fairly random others.

Now, I like Ritchie, and Damo, Didi, etc. But none of 'em are a permanent fixture. I like a permanent fixture.

Yeah, Ryle took the redundancy soup https://www.independent.ie/sport/ryle-nugent-announces-departure-from-rte-after-24-years-with-broadcaster-36644387.html

A Mr McBennett is taking over, he is formerly of RTE News and that http://www.the42.ie/rte-head-of-sport-declan-mcbennett-ryle-nugent-3977541-Apr2018/

Totally agree about the replacements, they're decent but you can't beat the original line up amigos. There's a hell of a lot of bluffers doing analysis of this World Cup and very few of them would be in the same league as John Giles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

"Germany will win the group if they get one here"

no they won't. Is it that hard to get commentators who understand goal difference and can add a few numbers?

Steven has just repeated his mistake. Head-to-head results only count if goal difference and goals scored are equal

• Registered Users Posts: 39 spanner555

Cheers for clearing that up. I know it's irrelevant now, but I thought that was the case, ie. Goals difference first then head to head.
    Am I right in saying that if Germany won, then they and the swedes would have gone through?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭votecounts

Am I right in saying that if Germany won, then they and the swedes would have gone through?[/QUOTE]
    Yep

goose2005 wrote: »
    "Germany will win the group if they get one here"

no they won't. Is it that hard to get commentators who understand goal difference and can add a few numbers?

Steven has just repeated his mistake. Head-to-head results only count if goal difference and goals scored are equal

Yeah, it's not good enough having commentators who can't be arsed to spend 10 minutes reading up on the Group Qualification rules for each tournament. It happens far too often.

In general, UEFA tournaments use head to head as the first tie breaker, FIFA use goal difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Patww79 wrote: »

Is Ms Roche still off sick?
    Why has Hope not appeared yet?

The attempted gender balance is not working out well.

Poor Ron cycling through the grammatical errors like seasoned veteran.

George must be commentating through gritted teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

How is Ronnie Whelan still allowed to commentate? He's worse than useless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Cadre Cola

Any sign of Hope Solo? I'm interested to hear her punditry. Seems like she knows what she's talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,462 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Cadre Cola wrote: »
    Any sign of Hope Solo? I'm interested to hear her punditry. Seems like she knows what she's talking about.

She'll be there probably for 2 matches in the 1/4 finals I'm thinking.

She's still in Washington according to her Instagram account anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Patww79 wrote: »

I feel like Didi is on every show!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Munster2018

Licence fees are outdated, and need to be done away with. They are in essence, a form of stealth tax. RTE can self fund with adverts like anyone else.

Micheal O'Neill on BBC2 today.

Heard on the Moncrieff TV slot that Hope Solo will be on Monday, apparently they beat BBC and CNN to get her.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Heard on the Moncrieff TV slot that Hope Solo will be on Monday, apparently they beat BBC and CNN to get her.

At what cost I wonder?

One of the League of Ireland boys should have been given the opportunity instead. RTE need to make savings.

Stuart Byrne springs to mind. Very decent pundit imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

At what cost I wonder?

One of the League of Ireland boys should have been given the opportunity instead. RTE need to make savings.

Stuart Byrne springs to mind. Very decent pundit imo.

Well Stephanie Roche will do it for a pair of Billy Joel tickets and a kebab.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It would be an honour to welcome him back into our living rooms.

If he'll still have us that is.

Don't think John was too impressed with Nugent showing him the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Don't think John was too impressed with Nugent showing him the door.

Ryle would be acting in time honoured senior executive style. There. Make a decision and not be around long enough to deal with the fallout.

Advertisement