Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting at Bray Boxing Club, 1 killed, 2 seriously injured...

Options

Comments

tomofson wrote: »
    I'd imagine thats the last of his worries after today, I dont think you would be seeing too much of him around that gym in the future anyway.

Or any gym if he wants to avoid criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Sponge25

FYP

I grew up in Bray and i've never noticed this apart from a few areas like any other big town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

The incidents in the past few weeks here have to be seriously concerning.

The Philippines student killed in Dublin.

Another young girl killed and left in a farmhouse.

18 year old murdered in Meath.

The boxing club shootings.

If this was happening in any other country, you wouldn't go near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

3 places in Ireland to avoid and you should be alright. Limerick Bray and north inner city Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

djPSB wrote: »

Thanks............we have our holidays booked in a nearby hotel end of June

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

So let me get this straight.

-Boxing Gym in Bray has been training members of MTK boxing agency for free
    -MTK apparently has links with the Kinahan cartel
    -It was an MTK event in the Regency when there was the shooting at the weigh-in a couple of years back
    -An associated of the Kinahan cartel was shot and killed during that shooting
    -Now there is a shooting in the Gym in Bray.

Think it's safe to say it's gang related.
    I know it sounds harsh but the article linked earlier shows Peter Taylor didn't care about the risk involved, saying he'll train who he wants to. He surely must have been aware of previous incidents and the risks involved. I feel worse for Katie.

As a boxing fan I absolutely hate the association with gangs that it seems to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Nonsense talk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Sure its all part of living in sh1thole country some might say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

It happens in every single country on the planet though, if you didn't go near any country where crimes like this happen you wouldn't do as much as leave your village.

Dr Brown wrote: »

Sure its all part of living in sh1thole country some might say.

Ireland is not a sh*thole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Do you think stuff like this doesn't happen in other countries?

Ridiculous comment. You need to look up crime stats in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Was woken by the helicopter right over my apartment this morning and the sound of sirens on the main road. Scary that its almost right on your doorstep.

tomofson wrote: »
    It happens in every single country on the planet though, if you didn't go near any country where crimes like this happen you wouldn't do as much as leave your village.

I was just about to post the same.
    Try living in the Brazilian favelas and avoid being murdered within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

torres9kop wrote: »
    3 places in Ireland to avoid and you should be alright. Limerick Bray and north inner city Dublin

Have to laugh at the hysterical little princesses ....

I've lived in Bray 56 years and never had a worry. Raised two sons ( one of them in that boxing club) and neither had a serious problem.

May yourself and the other drama merchants kept too close to mammy all your lives?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Not one thing you've said is true

murpho999 wrote: »

Do you think stuff like this doesn't happen in other countries?

Ridiculous comment. You need to look up crime stats in other countries.

Ah, ignorance is bliss for some. Without it they couldn't rant nonsense on forums

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Sponge25

When's it time we put all known gangsters in prison for the remainder of their lives? Something like Supermax. The Irish judicial system lacks claws.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

cajonlardo wrote: »

I've lived in Bray 56 years and never had a worry. Raised two sons ( one of them in that boxing club) and neither had a serious problem.

May yourself and the other drama merchants kept too close to mammy all your lives?

Brays a kip. Im from Killiney. I wouldnt set foot in the place. Thank god for that n11 bypass they built years ago

Brays a kip. Im from Killiney. I wouldnt set foot in the place. Thank god for that n11 bypass they built years ago

Trolling now clearly. Best to ignore him

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I don't get people linking this to unrelated crimes.

Seems quite clearly part of the Hutch/Kinahan gang feud.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MOD There is no need for that at all, dont post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Sponge25 wrote: »
    When's it time we put all known gangsters in prison for the remainder of their lives? Something like Supermax. The Irish judicial system lacks claws.

yeah lets do away with due process and introduce internment without trial. what could possibly go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

seamus wrote: »
    The Taylors were very quiet about the reason why Katie dropped Pete as her coach.

I wonder did she see him getting involved with a certain type of crowd and decide that she didn't need that distraction.

In terms of boxing "attracting" scum, I think it's more of a correlation thing than causation. Boxing as a sport is relatively cheap, and is popular in working-class areas as a place for troubled kids to get out their anger and learn some self-control. Your chances of "success" in boxing are also considerably better than something like soccer.
    In middle and upper-class areas, fighting other people for sport is considered low-brow, so they pay to see poor people beat eachother up rather than get involved themselves.

Of course nothing is a magic bullet and a kid who starts boxing to try and turn his troubled life around, is probably just going to be a troubled kid who's good at boxing. And he knows other troubled kids, and probably has family who are similar. And so a hotbox of criminality builds up around the boxing club. Even if it's not the main trainers getting involved, there are people using and hanging around the club who are involved in criminal activity.

The description of a white van with UK reg plates suggest it was probably a traveller gang who carried out this shooting.

My sympathies with Katie Taylor who seems like a genuine person, and regardless of anything her Dad may or may not have done I'm sure she's climbing the walls right now.

Good, sensible post. Agreed on all points.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Why did you raise one of your sons in a boxing club? :D

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 15 TheFever

Bray is not all that bad. Awful accent though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

murpho999 wrote: »
    GiftofGab wrote: »
    I remember reading one year that Dublin was the gun murder capital of Europe. More people were murdered by gun crime that any other city in Europe...and they weren't talking about per capita. Crazy for a small city.
    London has mostly knife crime.

So where the terrorist attacks in Paris that killed over 80 people not "gun crime"?
    Here's an article from the UK showing the unsafest cities in Europe.  Belfast makes the list.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/the-17-most-unsafe-cities-in-europe-a6895511.html
    P.Walnuts wrote: »
    GiftofGab wrote: »
    I remember reading one year that Dublin was the gun murder capital of Europe. More people were murdered by gun crime that any other city in Europe...and they weren't talking about per capita. Crazy for a small city.
    London has mostly knife crime.

Source?
    P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Source?

Arse.
    https://www.irishcentral.com/news/dublin-has-become-the-gun-murder-capital-of-europe-69575922-237669061
    It was actually 9 years ago. I just said I read it before.
    Either way, Ireland still has a huge gun murder rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Any status update on the victims?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shane.

To be fair, Pete Taylor being involved with MTK people doesn't necessarily mean he was involved with Daniel Kinahan. The boxing scene in Ireland is incredibly small with very few degrees of separation between individuals, so just because person A has a mutual friend with person B, doesn't necessarily mean that A and B are actually involved with eachother.

TBH, Irish social live in general tends to be like this as well. I'd imagine for example that most people who live and grew up in Dublin probably have maybe only one or two degrees of separation between themselves and Conor McGregor - but similarly, only one or two degrees of separation between themselves and Bono.

Say what you like about people willingly choosing to train in an environment allegedly funded by criminal assets, but in my view it's extremely unfair to make the blanket assumption that everyone who has a connection to MTK is involved with the Kinahan cartel. Paddy Barnes is supposed to be an incredibly nice lad and the media are always extremely careful to make the point that he's never even been alleged to be any sort of criminal, whenever they write about MTK and Daniel Kinahan.

It's similar to all the uproar over Conor McGregor "associating with Kinahan thugs" - the people he's regularly lambasted for hanging around with, grew up together from childhood in the same relatively small community. Letting go of childhood friends is f*cking hard, and the fact that you remain friends with somebody doesn't necessarily mean that you're in any way involved in or approve of the lifestyle they have gotten involved in.

If it does turn out that Pete Taylor was targeted because of his MTK connections, in my view it's an extraordinarily unfair and despicable attack - and I mean that even more so than the usual despicableness which accompanies this feud. To suggest that everyone who has ever been associated in any way with Gerry Hutch or Daniel Kinahan - or even who has ever been associated with associates of Gerry Hutch or Daniel Kinahan - is a legitimate target in any of this, or is automatically a dodgy person, is an absolutely vile outlook IMO.

You have to look at what Taylor is doing in the background, a LOT of rumours surrounding him and certain gangs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Amalgam wrote: »
    Any status update on the victims?

Non life threatening according to RTE

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mucky_Tackies

what a dopey comment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement