Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting at Bray Boxing Club, 1 killed, 2 seriously injured...

Options

Comments

GiftofGab wrote: »
    https://www.irishcentral.com/news/dublin-has-become-the-gun-murder-capital-of-europe-69575922-237669061
    It was actually 9 years ago. I just said I read it before.
    Either way, Ireland still has a huge gun murder rate.

Compared to London it does.
    But a fair comparison would be with another country that has subversive groups, supplying and siding with any criminal factions it chooses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,101 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

seamus wrote: »
    Sure. But we're talking about a gangland shooting, something which traveller gangs have been heavily involved in, in the past. And a white van might be nothing exceptional, but yellow-plated white vans are a frequent sight on halting sites. And a boxing club being the target...well travellers are heavily involved in boxing.

Just putting two and two together. I may have gotten five, that's why I didn't say it was definitely a traveller gang.

Dial down the histrionics there.

Jaysus I am no fan of travellers, but feckin hell a white van with UK plates doesn't necessarily mean travellers.
    And I would hardly say they would use their own vehicle in a hit.
    But you fire ahead there Hercule. :rolleyes:

I was just about to post the same.
    Try living in the Brazilian favelas and avoid being murdered within a week.

Why the fook do we always have to look for one of the worse when we compare ourselves.
    Wippee do we are safer than a Brazillian favela.
    Sure we are safer than a South African township as well, aren't we great.

We should compare ourselves to the best not the fooking worst.

And I do agree with previous poster, Ireland is a bit of a sh*thole.
    And will continue to be so until some people cop on what the country is really like.

We have a failed justice system (a triple murderer/child murderer/rapist was eligible for parole after 8 years), an inept and systemically corrupt police whose head and ex heads, are in front of tribunals of enquiry every other day.
    We have a failed health system that hides it's inadequacies and never takes responsibility for it's action or inactions including leaving children in the care of rapists.

But I guess in comparison to the Congo our fooking health service is brilliant and our cops are fine upstanding members of society. :mad:

Now back to slagging off Pete Taylor, Bray, travellers and what ever else takes yer fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

torres9kop wrote: »
    Brays a kip. Im from Killiney. I wouldnt set foot in the place. Thank god for that n11 bypass they built years ago

I live in Killiney from Dun Laoghaire as well and Bray is far from a kip, Dun Laoghaire is worse, you are talking absolute nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

bullvine wrote: »
    I live in Killiney from Dun Laoghaire as well and Bray is far from a kip, Dun Laoghaire is worse, you are talking absolute nonsense.

There is nothing whatsoever wrong with Dun Laoghaire, I have lived in Dun Laoghaire most of my life, it is the town I was born and raised in.

Maybe years ago it was a bit rough around the edges but its a fairly quiet and gentle place these days.

Dun Laoghaire has never had a gangland murder funnily enough, bray has had a couple.

Anyway no more derailing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

jmayo wrote: »

Why the fook do we always have to look for one of the worse when we compare ourselves.
    Wippee do we are safer than a Brazillian favela.
    Sure we are safer than a South African township as well, aren't we great.

We should compare ourselves to the best not the fooking worst.

And I do agree with previous poster, Ireland is a bit of a sh*thole.
    And will continue to be so until some people cop on what the country is really like.

We have a failed justice system (a triple murderer/child murderer/rapist was eligible for parole after 8 years), an inept and systemically corrupt police whose head and ex heads, are in front of tribunals of enquiry every other day.
    We have a failed health system that hides it's inadequacies and never takes responsibility for it's action or inactions including leaving children in the care of rapists.

But I guess in comparison to the Congo our fooking health service is brilliant and our cops are fine upstanding members of society. :mad:

Now back to slagging off Pete Taylor, Bray, travellers and what ever else takes yer fancy.

We have our fair share of problems in this country, and while I'm not justifying it, what country doesn't.

If the comparison someone made to a country like Brazil doesn't please you want about the WEF rankings for countries based off their security and safety from 2017?

In it Finland topped the list as the safest country (a score of 6.65 highest being the best). Ireland registered a 6.11, which left us around the same levels as countries such as Spain, Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Romania and so on. Which to me seems like a fair representation.

We have a lot of issues we need to repair, and organised crime is definitely one of them but as someone who, over the last 4 years, has split my time between living in Ireland and abroad I think there are a group in Ireland who like to believe the country is a far more dangerous and scary place than it actually is. Yes we aren't perfect and need to wake up, but there is a lot of people who have false notions that other countries are living in some sort of utopian.

So while I agree with the opinion about us needing to clean up the country in a lot of regards, I do not at all believe it is a "****hole". If Ireland is a "****hole" then the entire world would appear to be the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

jmayo wrote: »
    Jaysus I am no fan of travellers, but feckin hell a white van with UK plates doesn't necessarily mean travellers.
    And I would hardly say they would use their own vehicle in a hit.
    But you fire ahead there Hercule. :rolleyes:

Their off the hook so, according to RTE it wasn't a white van, it was silver :)
    The suspect fled the scene in what is believed to be a silver-coloured Volkswagen Caddy van with Northern Ireland registration plates.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭josip

If the van hasn't been found burnt out yet, does that indicate it was a amateurish attempt by a non-professional hitman/punter?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

Wait, Bray, Dun Laoghaire, Limerick & North inner city Dublin are all the biggest dumps? I though the Boards braintrust had given that accolade to Tallaght already?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Bad incident.

Unfortunately this country does not, and never has, taken security seriously. Whether it's the gardai, the judiciary or governments there is a laid back attitude in relation to serious crime compared to other countries.

We have people walking the streets with 100's of convictions, a police force which very few Irish people actually respect or have any faith in, a hopeless judiciary which is pathetic when it comes to sentencing and government that does not supply the resources or the prison spaces or really strong air tight laws to get these people who do these things off our streets permanently.

I don't see how it's going to change.

So people think they can commit serious offences like this with impunity even if caught.

We are too soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,489 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

josip wrote: »
    If the van hasn't been found burnt out yet, does that indicate it was a amateurish attempt by a non-professional hitman/punter?

They could change the colour and the reg on that van in minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Maybe he/they are not finished with it yet?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

The Nal wrote: »
    They could change the colour and the reg on that van in minutes.

Its probably parked in a multi story somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭josip

They normally burn it out to destroy any forensic evidence.
    Repainting it or abandoning it an a carpark wouldn't do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Hardly Travellers with a Caddy van , you would only squash 6 childer in the back of a Caddy, not big enough for gates either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,489 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

They normally burn it out to destroy any forensic evidence.
    Repainting it or abandoning it an a carpark wouldn't do this.

Or just use a fake yellow reg and respray it/use that sticker paint. Could be back in their driveway by now and the shooter could be in the garden with the BBQ on.

People are looking for a silver van with a nordie reg when it really could be a red van with a Carlow reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Thesomersarms

Is this looking like Kinahan/Hutch feud or a local dispute?

Seems a bit odd for it to be a hutch retaliation hit, from reading since this feud began it appears there are a number of head Kinahan cronies who roam the city at will and attend matches etc with no bother, surely they would be more of a target than Taylor and also normally after a gangland murder it would be out in press rather quickly that victim was an associate of a particular gang, nothing on this shooting, just seems very odd if this was hutch/kinahan

Is this looking like Kinahan/Hutch feud or a local dispute?

Seems a bit odd for it to be a hutch retaliation hit, from reading since this feud began it appears there are a number of head Kinahan cronies who roam the city at will and attend matches etc with no bother, surely they would be more of a target than Taylor and also normally after a gangland murder it would be out in press rather quickly that victim was an associate of a particular gang, nothing on this shooting, just seems very odd if this was hutch/kinahan

Probably Hutch kinahan related, the thing is though the places they roam at will are heavily policed by the ARU, where this shooting happened in bray which isn't as secured.

I think the victim was an innocent, though I am not too sure at this stage as they couldn't even get his age right at the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The result of this mornings antics is a media spotlight on the mtk gym and its association with drug money. It matters not if the link is true or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Thesomersarms

tomofson wrote: »
    Probably Hutch kinahan related, the thing is though the places they roam at will are heavily policed by the ARU, where this shooting happened in bray which isn't as secured.

I think the victim was an innocent, though I am not too sure at this stage as they couldn't even get his age right at the beginning.

Yeah fair point, Bray is not one of the hot spots for this feud so possibly a soft target, i saw a name going round on twitter but doesn’t look like chap
    Had a record, I think they’ve found the van in Ringsend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Bad incident.

Unfortunately this country does not, and never has, taken security seriously. Whether it's the gardai, the judiciary or governments there is a laid back attitude in relation to serious crime compared to other countries.

We have people walking the streets with 100's of convictions, a police force which very few Irish people actually respect or have any faith in, a hopeless judiciary which is pathetic when it comes to sentencing and government that does not supply the resources or the prison spaces or really strong air tight laws to get these people who do these things off our streets permanently.

I don't see how it's going to change.

So people think they can commit serious offences like this with impunity even if caught.

We are too soft.

The most recent cancellation of overtime patrols in high crime areas to save money for the popes visit is just the icing on the cake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The Nal wrote: »
    Or just use a fake yellow reg and respray it/use that sticker paint. Could be back in their driveway by now and the shooter could be in the garden with the BBQ on.

Do you really think in the direct aftermath of a shooting there is some criminal re-spraying the van used to carry out the hit? That would take hours. Aside from that he is hardly re-spraying it so he can fool the cops later this evening when he heads out in the van to get a bag of chips or something.
    PandaPoo wrote: »
    I didn't realise that Pete Taylor owned that gym. We feed the swans there twice a week, there's really fancy cars parked outside sometimes. Now I know why !

Plot twist- Gaggle of swans spend the day begging in Bray before driving home in fast sports cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Bray is an absolute kip these days, not surprised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

The most recent cancellation of overtime patrols in high crime areas to save money for the popes visit is just the icing on the cake.

True. But the justice system need to start taking it seriously they undo the hard work of our Garda in mere seconds. For example they caught two lads over the weekend with a firearm. One was granted bail as he has a holiday coming up in Ibiza. I mean you seriously can't make this stuff up.

TallGlass wrote: »
    True. But the justice system need to start taking it seriously they undo the hard work of our Garda in mere seconds. For example they caught two lads over the weekend with a firearm. One was granted bail as he has a holiday coming up in Ibiza. I mean you seriously can't make this stuff up.

That same fella has been caught and released for 3 attempted gangland hits now in the last few months, he is also the prime suspect in a murder in the sheriff street area.

I am guessing he is cooperating with the police if he keeps getting released like this, thats the only real explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Why are the Kinahans allowed to be involved in the promotion of boxing?

Isn't there some sort of global rule stating that known criminals can't hold a promoter's licence.

Think this was used to tackle the problem with boxing and the mob in the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Pidgeon House road in Ringsend currently closed of by Gardai...only drove by but theres a silver caddy with yellow reg behind cordon

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Why are the Kinahans allowed to be involved in the promotion of boxing?

Isn't there some sort of global rule stating that known criminals can't hold a promoter's licence.

Think this was used to tackle the problem with boxing and the mob in the States.

:confused: Convicted Double murderer Don King is one of boxings biggest promoters

• Registered Users Posts: 34,459 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Especially up around King Edward Road, I've seen some people still driving 171 cars would you believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Saying on radio that Taylor was the intended target. Who would have him on a hit list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,392 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What do you actually base this on?

Bray seems to have a bad press and in my experience it's from people who don't know the town at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement