Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting at Bray Boxing Club, 1 killed, 2 seriously injured...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭juno10353

You can't blame the Council for what happened, not by any stretch of the imagination.

The council owns the facility and it was an amateur facility for community. As such the council was and is responsible for ensuring that the premises are run efficiently and safely. Once the club became Pete Taylor's personal fiefdom, when he said he would train who he liked, the council had a duty to intervene on behalf of the Wicklow people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

juno10353 wrote: »
    The council owns the facility and it was an amateur facility for community. As such the council was and is responsible for ensuring that the premises are run efficiently and safely. Once the club became Pete Taylor's personal fiefdom, when he said he would train who he liked, the council had a duty to intervene on behalf of the Wicklow people.

Sorry, but I think you are mistaken.

I'm not getting into a debate, I have to be up early for fishing.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

That is how I would see it also. If I had a child or any family member attending that boxing club, I would be furious at the inaction of the Council to ensure
    their safety!! Allowing Pete Taylor to train 'whom he liked', when those individuals were associated with known criminals who had already been involved in a shooting incident at the Regency some time previously, was seriously negligent, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

One would assume his days there are over. If he is a target for criminals, there is no way they will let the place reopen and allow him to be on the premises : he'll have to find somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Strazdas wrote: »
    One would assume his days there are over. If he is a target for criminals, there is no way they will let the place reopen and allow him to be on the premises : he'll have to find somewhere else.

If he finds somewhere else, you can only imagine the amount of eyes that will be on it.
    The money might come from an anonymous backer. Most wouldn't want to risk training in it. It would probably end up becoming a Kinahan members club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭runrun2

brooke 2 wrote: »
    That is how I would see it also. If I had a child or any family member attending that boxing club, I would be furious at the inaction of the Council to ensure
    their safety!! Allowing Pete Taylor to train 'whom he liked', when those individuals were associated with known criminals who had already been involved in a shooting incident at the Regency some time previously, was seriously negligent, I believe.

I think that would've been difficult to do without some backup from the force.

Despite Pete saying this, I'd say a lot of the community would've been behind him because of his coaching history as well.

I don't really think that anyone could have imagined that someone with Pete Taylor's public profile and some locals would be shot, it was massive news really.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭juno10353

It will be interesting to hear what was found on premises and in safe when it was searched by detectives after shootings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

capefear wrote: »
    I don’t know if this was posted already, but it seems the gym is no more.

http://www.the42.ie/bray-boxing-club-4068710-Jun2018/?utm_source=shortlink

They have a duty of upkeep, at the moment....
    No one knows if they can take the lease off him.
    Depends on the small print in the contract tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

It was on lease, stop with the bs.
    If you were a landlord, are you held accountable for whatever your tenants do?!
    Feck off

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Pete Taylor given around-the-clock protection after being discharged from hospital yesterday. He was flanked by two plain clothes officers as he enjoyed lunch in a local bar in Bray.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/pete-taylor-given-around-clock-14782001

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭josip

First time I've seen a connection reported between the 2 deaths in Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I hope he is giving the Gardaí some information in return for that protection and after an innocent man (or two) has died.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

Any particular reason why wayne kennedy's house was targeted as part of this "local dispute"?

brooke 2 wrote: »

In this hypothetical situation the only person who would of been seriously negligent would be yourself, as you would have been the only person with safety concerns and yet still allowed your child or family member attend the facility. There is such a thing as parental responsibility as well as personal responsibility.

How could the council be deemed negligent? How could they have foreseen what happened?

Do you seriously think for one minute that someone from the council would have the authority to approach someone (who has a legally binding contract in place with them) and tell them the agreement is null and void with immediate effect because they are training someone who is associated with a certain gym/stable of boxers and that could mean other gym users will be in danger of losing their life?

A small bit of cop on now please in all fairness.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Do you seriously think for one minute that someone from the council would have the authority to approach someone (who has a legally binding contract in place with them) and tell them the agreement is null and void with immediate effect because they are training someone who is associated with a certain gym/stable of boxers and that could mean other gym users will be in danger of losing their life?

A small bit of cop on now please in all fairness.

It is legally possible to terminate a commercial lease on grounds like these.

sabat wrote: »

I'm not a lawyer, but if I was a boxer training in the gym and told I no longer could because Bray County Council decided they did not like who I or my trainer associated with (after picking myself up from the ground from laughing) I would consult one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

sabat wrote: »

I would imagine they will come up with a reason to terminate it

I would imagine they will come up with a reason to terminate it

They will now, but prior to the murder they hadn't a leg to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,171 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'm not a lawyer, but if I was a boxer training in the gym and told I no longer could because Bray County Council decided they did not like who I or my trainer associated with (after picking myself up from the ground from laughing) I would consult one.

I think that you would be wasting your money on a solicitor.

Money and permissions might have been given for that building under specific uses under specific conditions.

Being used for other uses might have contravened those conditions. And a blind eye might have been turned when everything was rosy but now the people responsible can't plausibly deny they are aware.

Has they gym been closed permanently? I just saw reports that they took back the keys. I am sure that they could open it again.

I think that you would be wasting your money on a solicitor.

Money and permissions might have been given for that building under specific uses under specific conditions.

Being used for other uses might have contravened those conditions. And a blind eye might have been turned when everything was rosy but now the people responsible can't plausibly deny they are aware.

Has they gym been closed permanently? I just saw reports that they took back the keys. I am sure that they could open it again.

You're missing the gist of the discussion here I think Donald, we are talking about what Bray Council could/should have done before the incident as some people think they (Bray Council) are at fault for not foreseeing and preventing the incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

dunno if anyone got the whatsapp message with a video claiming the real reason for shooting.... looks like bs to me and fairly bad form to be sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 19,171 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You're missing the gist of the discussion here I think Donald, we are talking about what Bray Council could/should have done before the incident as some people think they (Bray Council) are at fault for not foreseeing and preventing the incident.

Sorry. I misunderstood. I had thought people were saying the council couldn't retake possession *now*

If it's before the incident, then there is probably no reasonably realistic basis for them to take the building. Technically maybe they could have complained if the premises was being used for personal gain/purposes but it would be very difficult to prove that. So I don't think it is reasonable to put blame on them

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

jobless wrote: »
    dunno if anyone got the whatsapp message with a video claiming the real reason for shooting.... looks like bs to me and fairly bad form to be sharing

Are you going to tell us what it contained? Or?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Cash, mobile phones and computers have been seized during searches of six properties in Bray, Co Wicklow.

The investigation, by the Criminal Assets Bureau, relates to an organised crime gang based in the Wicklow area.

Two residential premises, two business premises and two professional premises - an accountants and a solicitors - were searched.

Approximately €7,500 in cash was seized along with evidence relating to the use of virtual currencies.

A number of mobile phones, laptops, computers and other electronic devices were also recovered

https://www.rte.ie/news/crime/2018/0615/970730-cab-searches-bray/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Are you going to tell us what it contained? Or?

claimed he was pushing his weight around as a debt collector

According to today's Independent newspaper Pete is planning to leave the country within the next few days after listening to Garda advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

According to today's Independent newspaper Pete is planning to leave the country within the next few days after listening to Garda advice.

Off to Marbella I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

it is believed he is planning to leave for an undisclosed European country in the coming days, after he was given detailed "personal security advice" by garda

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/pete-taylor-set-to-leave-country-after-fatal-shooting-at-his-gym-37012719.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Off to Marbella I wonder

At least Quinn won't be a threat to him!

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

Off to Marbella I wonder

At least Quinn won't be a threat to him!
    Isn't Quinn on the same side anyway. But of course he could double cross .
    At the end of the day they are all chips off the same block.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement