Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

The only thing for Shefflin is that he is such a staunch Kilkenny man he might never want to manage against his own.

If Davy Fitz can do it, anyone can :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I reckon it would be a win win for any manager. Think about it, the only way is up after this year, and there is still some very talented hurlers in that group. Shefflin himself works in Waterford and has family ties with the city and went to college here.

The only thing for Shefflin is that he is such a staunch Kilkenny man he might never want to manage against his own.

Theres a lot of south KK people working in Waterford. I think DJ would be someone to consider aswell

If Davy Fitz can do it, anyone can :D:D

Davy Fitz was only ever for Davy Fitz :p

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

Theres a lot of south KK people working in Waterford. I think DJ would be someone to consider aswell

And more realistic tbh. I don’t know how people can say get rid of all these players, a lot of young players mentioned not even in their mid 20’s.

People in Tipperary said the same this last year. New year, new management, same players, much improved performances.

I think DJ would be a great choice. He’s served his apprenticeship with Carlow IT and the Kilkenny under 21’s and is a hurling legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Spatters

Shefflin would be a coup, if a man who has won 10 All Ireland medals couldn't inspire this lot then no one can. I've a feeling he wouldnt take it on if offered tho, he will see the state we are in and would reckon he would blow his chance of ever getting the KK job if it goes wrong. But maybe I'm wrong

Not a hope would Shefflin take the top job. Firstly, he played under fanning in WIT so not a hope would he allow himself to be used to shaft Fanning.
    Secondly, why would he look at Waterford when kk will probably be up for grabs if cody doesn’t bring home the bacon.

I will say that he’d be a huge addition to Fanning’s mgmt team or backroom team though.

• Advertisement

Spatters wrote: »
    Not a hope would Shefflin take the top job. Firstly, he played under fanning in WIT so not a hope would he allow himself to be used to shaft Fanning.
    Secondly, why would he look at Waterford when kk will probably be up for grabs if cody doesn’t bring home the bacon.

I will say that he’d be a huge addition to Fanning’s mgmt team or backroom team though.

KK wont get rid of Cody. I think theres a good chance they will bring home the bacon anyway cos he'll rip their heads off to make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Mulbert

What ever about the manager or systems or effort we have **** all forwards, no leaders on the field. Brick held the forward line on his own in 2017.

The senior clubs are producing little to be fair. And the senior players this year were woeful.

Alot should be thanked for their efforts and a few more should be told to work harder for their place.

Most of all, they should all be reminded that they're playing an amateur sport and they can withdrawn from a panel if they're not happy and carry on with their own lives.

Dreadful.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Having watched a lot of the extended panel start tonight or come on , unfortunately lots of them simply aren't up to inter county standards, be it through lack of physicality or skill. We just don't have the strength in depth coupled with a lack of mojo from our established players and a poor management which extends to more than fanning . It started well in the league , they looked sharp for a while. Never looked championship ready though for reasons we really don't know here apart from speculation and rumours . We really should have beaten Clare . It's fair depressing at the moment and outside of the existing panel there are very few players out there who could be brought in. The minor team had a poor year and really should have won 2 or even 3 games . They failed to put away an average limerick team and should have taken Clare too.

Eddie Brennan is doing a good job with Laois, only thing is I think he would be an abrasive type of manager, a bit like Fanning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Eddie Brennan is doing a good job with Laois, only thing is I think he would be an abrasive type of manager, a bit like Fanning

yeah and a very outspoken man so if someone say like gleason was throwing toys out of the pram brennan wouldn't be long going public about it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

yeah and a very outspoken man so if someone say like gleason was throwing toys out of the pram brennan wouldn't be long going public about it

Tbh i would think thats terrible managemenr,throwing a player under the bus publically

Its obviously something terrible has happened on the panel,flying in early leage (admitely againest weaker teams),gleeson is actually less fit now than he was in march

I hope againest hope its not a bullsh1t mt sion v ballygunner thing as wheels seem to come off wagon with return of ballygunner players,.....this is what people are saying in pubs ive been to this week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

_blaaz wrote: »
    Tbh i would think thats terrible managemenr,throwing a player under the bus publically

Its obviously something terrible has happened on the panel,flying in early leage (admitely againest weaker teams),gleeson is actually less fit now than he was in march

I hope againest hope its not a bullsh1t mt sion v ballygunner thing as wheels seem to come off wagon with return of ballygunner players,.....this is what people are saying in pubs ive been to this week

it probably is , but in the managers case if his best player is acting up or half performing he probably deserves to be called out

What are people’s opinion on Gleeson at the moment?
    Obviously worth holding onto based on age, ability etc.. but is he becoming a liability, a pain in the arse irrespective of who is the manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Obviously worth holding onto based on age, ability etc.. but is he becoming a liability, a pain in the arse irrespective of who is the manager.

He shouldnt be anywhere near the county team...only for such a big name,his intercounty career would be over

Not singling out Gleeson only interesting to hear people’s opinion ad I feel he’s really our only standout marquee player but is so underpar it’s unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Ompala

Tipp fan here, was at the game tonight. Thought Waterford players did really grind it out with Cork for about 50 odd mins but seemed to run out of steam towards the end, thought possibly better tactics may have helped as Waterford struggled to keep the ball in the Cork half for any long period.

Definitely some of the younger players really stood up and tried hard tonight, much better from their games with Tipp and Limerick. Calum Lyons, Conor Prunty and Jack Prendergast along with the 2 Bennetts probably the best performers. The scoreline flattered Cork a bit towards then end I thought, bit of luck in the 1st half and Waterford could have had 1 if not 2 goals and gone in all square, those are the breaks I guess. They caused the Cork full back line plenty of problems throughout.

A rebuilding phase is probably needed for a while to bring through some new talent, as the likes of Moran, Brick etc. are on the way out. Defensively ye seem decent enough but forwards do need some work. Ye aren't as far back as some might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Gleeson isn't a forward, he's useless up there and looks frustrated. Stick him in center back and leave him there, we know he's capable of driving on from there so let him sink or swim, and drop the lad if it doesn't work or if he doesn't try a leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 RichardBzero

_blaaz wrote: »

This is actually hilarious to read as it’s so far off the mark. Austin’s problem is Austin. Hasn’t produced at club or county level for a long time and his attitude to the whole thing is appalling. He needs to go away from GAA for a while and ask himself is this what he really wants to do. All the talent in the world means f**k all when you don’t do the basics of hard work and listening. People can say all they want about he should be played centre back but no matter where you are there’s basic things you need to do as a senior club hurler never mind a so called superstar and he’s a million miles off the mark. As alluded to above there’s only one man can sort Austin’s problems but unfortunately he’s neither clever enough or mature enough to do it.

Not singling out Gleeson only interesting to hear people’s opinion ad I feel he’s really our only standout marquee player but is so underpar it’s unreal

His performances were an absolute disgrace this year. I just don't think he's a leader,he's a shirker. If he played badly on purpose just to oust Fanning then that's doubly bad. He needs to sort himself out and if he continues on this vein then its time to cut loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

Was at the game. The Pairc is a fantastic stadium. Like others on here, think the best performers were the new lads, Nolan, Prunty, Prendergast, and particularly C. Lyons. There is more in Jamie Barron, possession given up way too easily at times in the middle third. De Burca way better than last week. I think we have players who have quality and if they have a plan to work to that they believe in, we can perform to a much higher standard and get out of Munster next year. Good to see Aussie coming on this evening. He mixed the good with the bad , fantastic sidelune cut that I watched arc back in between the posts from way out, he has unreal ability. He wasn't diligent enough without the ball, let Coleman go on a few occasions and his body language (maybe unsurprisingly) was very poor.

I have no idea if Fanning can find a winning formula for us next year but I have my doubts. The guys who did not play this evening, including Connors, Moran and SOK were not missed.

• Advertisement

He is still young enough so maybe in the next year or two he will knuckle down and start making hay. When he turns it on he can be the most talented player in the country but yo-yoing up and down in form is toxic for the camp, if you see your marquee player not even trying what does that do for morale in the rest of the camp?

I have no idea if Fanning can find a winning formula for us next year but I have my doubts. The guys who did not play this evening, including Connors, Moran and SOK were not missed.[/quote]

Moran & Brick have been phenomenal players for us. I think now is the right time step away. I’d love to see them get a testimonial to give them a proper send off

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

He’s had a disastrous year. Was started in the half back line and wasn’t fit so dropped. We then had a settled half back line the so he was brought back in as a forward just to slot him in somewhere because of who he is. Cody would never do something like that so it’s not all Aussie’s fault. A player who isn’t on form shouldn’t be put out there. Going forward it’s up to Aussie whether he gets in the team next year. He needs to be fit and if I was the manager I’d look to trying him in the Munster league at centre back and if he’s not fit or working hard then cut him before the national league. Give him a chance to prove himself. Even if he’s not going at his best but had the right attitude, he’s always a great impact sub in the making too.

It however would be such a shame not to see him get back to his best as he has ability others can only dream of but as we all know, hard work trumps ability more often than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

His performances were an absolute disgrace this year. I just don't think he's a leader,he's a shirker. If he played badly on purpose just to oust Fanning then that's doubly bad. He needs to sort himself out and if he continues on this vein then its time to cut loose.

Gleeson needs to decide if he wants to stay hurling or not. His attitude is appalling.

I'm not sure if he played badly on purpose to oust Fanning. He was poor last year too. However there are four or five more experienced guys who were far more culpable last week. The same four of five who knifed Skully to get their mentor in. These are the guys who should be ashamed of themselves.

Fanning needs to have a clear out of players and backroom team.

Connors, Moran, Brick, Dunford, Kearney, O'Halloran for a start. Between them they either they don't want to hurl under Fanning, are over the hill or never good enough. Prunty, Prendergst and Calum Lyons have shown McGrath's guys up for what they are - petulant babies who have no pride in the jersey and who have thrown their toys out of the pram.

Barron and Paudie Mahoney would want a good look at themselves as well. Same as Gleeson. Let them decide if they want to hurl for Waterford or not. If not tell them thanks for their service and let them walk away. None of the three have contributed a jot this year but I'm not sure if it's out of badness like some of the others or just bad form.

Murray and Kearney should be told to sling their hooks also. Kearney is only there to make sure his brother starts. FFs Mikey Kearney has started every game bar one since his brother Pa became a selector and he has been invisible in every one of them. No person with a vested interest should be involved. Murray is just an embarrassment and in hiding.

If Fanning wants to hang on he needs to bury his pride and get some serious guys into his backroom team for next year, instill real discipline and weed out the poison in the squad and get a committed group.

Its fine saying get rid of all these guys but who are you going to replace them with? If its another bunch of youngsters then you are looking at a rebuild of another 3-4 years to see any results, even if they're good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Deisedozzer

The single biggest issue for me tonight was a glaring lack of fitness. We were in the game with 15 mins to go and literally collapsed while Cork were flying.

I don't think Fanning is the right man going forward but at least he has brought some new guys into the mix and inadvertently showed up McGrath's fallacy of continuing to stick with players regardless of how they were performing. With the greatest of respect, the likes of Shane McNulty, Brian O'Halloran and Tommy Ryan have had numerous chances over a number of years and aren't the future. When you couple those players with some of the absentees from tonight some of whom are likely to remain absent, we have a big rebuilding job on our hands but I still believe we have good enough players to compete.

Tommy Ryan is a good impact sub, he started the last 2 days and he did nothing, his lack of physicality is also a problem. Someone mentioned Tom Devine, a big physical scoring forward(with skill too) is worth his weight in gold if we can coax him back onto the scene somehow then he would be a huge asset

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭davidx40

Fanning is done now theres no way back im afraid .....his backroom team has been a disaster ...i mean Burns of ferrybank was one the coaches for jesus sake

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Tommy Ryan is a good impact sub, he started the last 2 days and he did nothing, his lack of physicality is also a problem. Someone mentioned Tom Devine, a big physical scoring forward(with skill too) is worth his weight in gold if we can coax him back onto the scene somehow then he would be a huge asset

If u can't get the sliotar up to them it doesn't matter who you name up there though. There isn't any sign of a structured game plan or patterns of play that were worked on to give them any decent kind of supply either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Deiseen

davidx40 wrote: »
    Fanning is done now theres no way back im afraid .....his backroom team has been a disaster ...i mean Burns of ferrybank was one the coaches for jesus sake

Were you saying Boo Burns, or Boo urns?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement